• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Some early thoughts on Schröder

django2341

Dennis' first three games as our starter were what I would call solid. Not quiet what we need from him, but still not bad.

I think he is trying to play under more controll which is slowing his game down. But he also just had 3 TO over the last two game which is good.

Also, I think he really wants to involve his teammates. I have the feeling that this is in his head most parts of the game. He didn't find the key yet. If Dennis gets some easy early assists it feels like he plays significant better. Like more free. If he has just one or even none assit after the first Q he starts to think about that.

The shot selection was ok so far. He's shooting 40 % from three. The 3 off the dribble seems like a 50 % shot. I'd like to see some more midrange shots. That was a good shot most of the time last year from him.

Pick'n Roll doesn't work out quite like it should so far. It seems like it's taking forever till Sap or D8 are set. We didn't see one alley oop from Dennis to Howard so far in three games. This needs to change soon :biggrin: But I think the PnR will get better.

Just some thoughts going through my had.

I guess its way too early to talk aboutit yet. Fom what i saw i think he is better as a spark of the bench and delaney is the better guy for the starting five. Doesnt mean that delaney is better, its just that his skillset is better in the starting five and dennis is better off the bench. But lets give him 20 games

• Like 1

• Moderators

I was theorizing last night that Dennis might have a case of "GHS"... "GOT HEEM!" Syndrome. That's where the allure of blowing by his man and trying to score inside (in lieu of setting up his teammates on drives) is significantly stronger at home than on the road, where the signature siren song of announcer Ryan Cameron is missing.

I've done no statistical analysis to disprove this yet. Sample size is obviously too small for this season. Last season (80 games, 6 starts), Dennis racked up 4.8 APG at home and just 3.9 APG on the road. So, "GHS" clearly wasn't a problem last year, but he was also trying to prove his worth as a future starter in the league. Now that he has that, it's something I'll keep an eye on.

~lw3

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

D8 and Sap been taking forever setting up screens and D8 angles have been horrible

This is true-ish.  Dennis is still feeling things out as a starter.  He's had similar funky screen relationships with Kyle.  It can't be all of them but not Dennis.  He bears(bares?) blame too.

I think what we are seeing in Dennis' play is the feeling-out period I thought all our starters would have.  I'm not overly concerned as, like I said before, I expected us to get off to a slow start.  I'm just pleased we've been able to win while working on things.

It was nice to see he and D8 finally run a clean PnR on that last play of the game. :happy:

I said this about about Dwight's ability to set screens since the 1st game.  He sucks at it.  Use that big body.  Dwight is a very reluctant screener above the key.

To limit Dennis pounding the ball, set effective screens early and often.  Screen, re-screen.

32 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

I was theorizing last night that Dennis might have a case of "GHS"... "GOT HEEM!" Syndrome. That's where the allure of blowing by his man and trying to score inside (in lieu of setting up his teammates on drives) is significantly stronger at home than on the road, where the signature siren song of announcer Ryan Cameron is missing.

I've done no statistical analysis to disprove this yet. Sample size is obviously too small for this season. Last season (80 games, 6 starts), Dennis racked up 4.8 APG at home and just 3.9 APG on the road. So, "GHS" clearly wasn't a problem last year, but he was also trying to prove his worth as a future starter in the league. Now that he has that, it's something I'll keep an eye on.

~lw3

Part of me thinks that as well but then I hear his teammates and Bud saying - we need him to be aggressive going to the basket. (Similar to how SAS played with TP early in his career)

So it's a double edge sword in a way.  Not that he has to shoot every time nor should he.  But he can get into the lane so easily, his first instinct is to shoot when he is that close to the basket.  

I've always judged Dennis' effectiveness by his shooting percentages and turnovers.

• Moderators

I'm a big fan of Teague but I'd say that most of the time that Teague didn't shoot well and didn't have many assists, the Hawks lost (unless Dennis had a huge game).   Dennis may have some rough patchs but he's controlling the game and we're winning.   

Also helps that Delaney has been really good.   I was very skeptical but that guy seems to have no fear about running this offense.  

• Like 4

vor 3 Stunden, gonzo sagte:

I guess its way too early to talk aboutit yet. Fom what i saw i think he is better as a spark of the bench and delaney is the better guy for the starting five. Doesnt mean that delaney is better, its just that his skillset is better in the starting five and dennis is better off the bench. But lets give him 20 games

Oh stop it. Delaney brought them back in to the game with Lawson and Temple abusing him. Delaney has a very polished offensive game and his co-team mates are very allround guys who it is easier to play with. Dennis needs to work on that PnR game with Howard & Co and the work is done during regular season basketball.  So what happens are miscues and waiting for guys to move, then getting there to late or not at all, ending up taking a bad shot yourself etc. Thats gonna not look "flowing" etc, but that is what working on things is...his game with Korver and Millsap is very productive.

What matters much more as a team-leader is reckognizing where the game is at, to go familiar routes when needs be, and that is what Dennis did again last night, doubling the lead in the 4th for instance. Dennis is actually a very smart player and a true starting PG.

Edited by DS17Fanboy
  • Like 2

• Admin

I have been unhappy with his play thus far ... it is very early and it's a new huge responsibility for him ... he is not looking to get others involved ... I expect this to improve or we could be in trouble against better teams ... he is  playing way too much iso ball and only looking to get his own

I do agree Dwight is not doing a good job of getting himself open or setting good screens ... this needs to improve as well 

however, Dennis seems to drive into the crowd a lot and taking illadvised shots when he should just be passing the ball around ... I don't want a scoring point guard on a team that emphasizes passing and motion.   I chalk it up to early season figuring out his role ... in a couple weeks I hope his play is improved / changed

16 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Also helps that Delaney has been really good.   I was very skeptical but that guy seems to have no fear about running this offense.  

Delaney has so far had the better feel on how to get the ball to Dwight. The defense seems to know he is very willing to shoot and can hit if they don't cover and he has passed pretty well off of that.

• Moderators

I think our expectation for Dennis' early season may be a little high.  It's a small sample for sure but he's besting Teague's numbers all the way around.   He's shooting a high percentage from 3 and 2 and controlling the game.  And winning.   Inserting Dwight into this offense is a big change that's on Dennis to figure out.   So far it's not perfect......other than the perfect 3-0.

• Like 1

The offense is a work in progress, but that Atlanta Hotlane to the rim has become really expensive.  Dennis is making PGs work hard to get into the paint.  Of course he can't keep them completely out, but his effort is making guys frustrated

Edited by HawkItus
  • Like 2

• Admin
16 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

The offense is a work in progress, but that Atlanta Hotlane to the rim has become really expensive.  Dennis is making PGs work hard to get into the paint.  Of course he can't keep them completely out, but his effort is making guys frustrated

I agree his defense has been solid 

vor 1 Stunde, capstone21 sagte:

I have been unhappy with his play thus far ... it is very early and it's a new huge responsibility for him ... he is not looking to get others involved ... I expect this to improve or we could be in trouble against better teams ... he is  playing way too much iso ball and only looking to get his own

I do agree Dwight is not doing a good job of getting himself open or setting good screens ... this needs to improve as well 

however, Dennis seems to drive into the crowd a lot and taking illadvised shots when he should just be passing the ball around ... I don't want a scoring point guard on a team that emphasizes passing and motion.   I chalk it up to early season figuring out his role ... in a couple weeks I hope his play is improved / changed

What does "not getting others involved" even mean? Back it up with something. And Dennis is a scoring point-guard if you like it or not. Ur pretty stringent there all on your own. Your demands will not be meat. Deal with it.:Schroder:

Edited by DS17Fanboy
  • Like 1

Dennis will be fine. I think he's still adjusting to being a starter rather than an energy guy off the bench. This seems to be messing with him a bit early on but he will adjust. He does need to try and feed the post a bit quicker when Dwight or whomever is setting up camp in the paint. Lol.

First off all, all the changes the Hawks made (acquiring D8, losing Horford, promoting Dennis and trading Teague away) will ultimately be judged by looking at the win-loss column at the end of the season. So far it is looking good. Especially since the Hawks still have a lot of things to improve on. If you beat opponents comfortably without being anywhere near 100% of your potential, that's a damn good sign for things to come.

Dennis' defense so far has been very good. The opposing starting PGs have shot 13-33 from the field and averaged 3.3 TOs per game. I would say he won every PG matchup so far, regardless  whether he played as well as he could or not. And you can really see that it helps to have a true shot blocker behind aggressive/good wing defenders.

I think so far he is doing as well as (arguably even better) you could have expected, to be honest. He has better stats in every single category over the first 3 games than Teague had last season - advanced and traditional stats (except PER (17.9 to 17.3) . And he still has a lot of room to improve, for sure.

I mean, what do people expect from him in the first 3 games of his first starting-PG season with a revamped team? Per game:  14 points (45% from the field, 40% from 3, 80% FTs), 6 assists, only 2.3 TOs and a PER of 17.32. And they comfortably won all games.

Also, a lot of his missed drives lead to offensive rebounds for Howard/Millsap and quite a few of his potential assists don't count because Howard always gets hacked near the basket. But these plays still lead to points for the Hawks, even if the assist doesn't show up in the boxscore.

Edited by kurupt
  • Like 3