• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I'm Told G-LEAGUE!

lethalweapon3

On 11/11/2016 at 10:02 AM, hazer said:

Technically Merry Hills ends at Briarcliff Rd and Brookhaven ends at I-85. So it's actually sandwiched between the 2 and borders/is closer to Brookhaven than Merry Hills a few more blocks to the SE. But yeah, being on the SE side of 85, it's a bit of a stretch. Then again "Brookhaven" is a new hotbed, Mery Hills not so much. Coat-tailing :approved:

Heh, coat-tailing is a good name for it.  Just like when the Top Golf on Ellworth was called the "Midtown" branch.  Soon, "Midtown" will stretch all the way to LaGrange.

Edited by Resslemania
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

A week later, and I'm still not sure that anyone has asked, what is to me, the most obvious question.

Maybe someone, though, has read or heard something I didn't (?!?)....

Are they really content to wait three friggin years for this thing? Isn't that kind-of antithetical to this whole glow of being a serious player development franchise? Is there no inclination to start the franchise somewhere else, and move them to College Park when the arena is ready?

Makes no sense that no one's asked (assuming that's the case?), makes no sense that the franchise bosses are going to wait that long.

Hopefully, though, one of you knows something I don't.

5 minutes ago, sturt said:

A week later, and I'm still not sure that anyone has asked, what is to me, the most obvious question.

Maybe someone, though, has read or heard something I didn't (?!?)....

Are they really content to wait three friggin years for this thing? Isn't that kind-of antithetical to this whole glow of being a serious player development franchise? Is there no inclination to start the franchise somewhere else, and move them to College Park when the arena is ready?

Makes no sense that no one's asked (assuming that's the case?), makes no sense that the franchise bosses are going to wait that long.

Hopefully, though, one of you knows something I don't.

My first thought is I would guess they'd have to find an existing arena (in the vicinity) to accommodate every single game on the schedule.  I think most arena's book events a few years in advance.  

• Like 1

On the arena perspective, there aren't as many options out there as many may think. If we're talking about a place similar to the 3,500-seat capacity they plan on building, the only venues that come to mind are Forbes Arena at Morehouse (around 6k) and the GSU Sports Arena (around 4k). While both wouldn't mind another tenant to fill in empty dates, neither program (especially GSU) wants another team competing with them on their home floor for customers. Besides, I seriously doubt that the Hawks, who's been a chief tenant in their home arena for decades (see Omni, Philips Arena) wants to be told by anyone what time slots their team is allowed to practice or that a home game has to be switched out...

• Premium Member

I'm not even thinking metro ATL area, myself.

At a higher scale, I remember the Oilers/Titans spent some time in Memphis, while Nashville's stadium was being built. It made sense for them, and I just still think it's asinine if no one's considered it for this situation.

Chattanooga.... Columbus... Savannah... Birmingham... if there's money to be made, it can get done. And the commitment to form the organization side is already there. No-brainer to me.

But that's still getting beyond my question, though I'm thinking the silence probably answers it... so no one's read or heard that Bud or Wilcox or anyone else has even been asked the question why 3 years is an acceptable time frame to them?

• 2 months later...

This is big news for Hawks University.  

1. Get players in the system now as opposed to 2 years from now. 

2.  We can assign 2 players and still keep our main roster at 15, so imagine if we wanted to assign Isaiah Cordinier to the DL instead of sending him back overseas. We would still keep his rights so another team won't be able to sign him. So he gets time in our system.

Two-way contracts are here

The new change with seemingly the largest effect on the D-League and its players is the advent of two-way contracts. NBA teams will now have two additional roster spots (17 total now) to stash whomever they wish and most importantly retain their player rights. Right now the D-League is akin to the wild west, because almost every player is a free agent in the eyes of the NBA. "

• Premium Member

Great to hear.... and yet... another example of a beat writer who too often seems too disinterested in the team to ask the obvious question. I'm not saying he would have gotten an answer, but you're a journalist... ask the question, then report that it wasn't answered. Makes you seem competent that way.

• 1 year later...

I think this is a good development. Its similar to the baseball model and allows young to pursue their passion/best option.  College is a great experience but it's not the only path. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, DrReality said:

Curious development but 18 year olds going to need someone to ‘hold their hand’ with all that money?!

I don't think this is any 'holding hand' issue.

18 year olds still have young growing brains and lack real world world experiences. There are some things money just can't fix.

6 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't think this is any 'holding hand' issue.

18 year olds still have young growing brains and lack real world world experiences. There are some things money just can't fix.

Yeah but that’s for them to figure out. LeBron did it with no problems. 

There are some people in their 40’s that don’t know how to act with a little money. 

That shouldn’t be any of our concern. The fact that college have such a monopoly on amature athletics is a shame. In no other country does this take place. Kids are able to turn pro at 16 if their game is tight. But not here. We care too much about their “well being” to let that happen. 

It’s a cash grab for colleges to pimp out these athletes and put wear and tear on their bodies for free.

I say, if a kid has the game and only wants to play ball, then this is a free country, he should be able to focus on just that. If he pisses his life away that’s on him. Just like the rest of us Joe Schmoes out here. 

The bigger story that nobody is mentioning is that this will likely destroy Lavar’s Big Baller League. His premise was exactly the same purpose, now his league will be obsolete. 

• Moderators

Just realized how old this thread is. lol

But I've felt for years that the D-League or G-League is an underused asset for the NBA.  If kids don't want to go to college and be "one and done", then allow them to spend 1-2 years in the G-League and make a salary to develop. They would have a bigger spotlight in the NCAA, but some kids would rather make that money now.

I also support making the minimum age to 20 for the NBA, but 18 for the G-League w/ salary. Players are so expensive these days and this would give owners and GM's a better understanding of a guy before committing millions of dollar on him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

I only wish G League was more like baseball's minor leagues where NBA teams could grow their own players and not just grow players for whosoever will.

Yes.  I've been a proponent of this for a while now.  I'd love to see a system where AAU basketball is completely done away with and the G League becomes more like the international club teams for the NBA.  Allow teams to sign players starting at age 16 who are good enough to make the jump and start their professional development.  This would also help do away with the draft, which I am a proponent of, and create a true free market for these players to shop their talents.  

• Like 2