• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks at Suns

lethalweapon3

Give credit to Suns, they played great and shooting the ball really well.

For Hawks, Turnovers still a problem for them, they can't make a momentum when they make a turnover, and also decision making too, Baze quick long range 3 with 24 secs left on the clock not a good idea.

I think it's still a progress for this team, and still trying to figure it out playing together.

Dennis played his heart out, and did everything he could. Defense was average but not happy with this team turnovers and decision making.

If hawks can't figure out how to take care of the ball, and still make poor decisions making, they are gonna have a very rough season..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

This game was over once Dennis got two fouls in the first quarter. Delaney has trouble against NBA level athletes and he let Knight simply out athletic him which helped cause the major run. It was only calmed down when Kyle Korver got removed from the game.

Yes, Korver didn't play the 4th quarter, but he let Tucker eat against him when he even played and Tucker is worse than Sefolosha offensively. It was embarrassing, Korver didn't even have a chance!

So one could question Bud's decision to sit Dennis after the 2nd foul, because it weren't the "I'm not able to handle my opponent and have to foul him more" kind of fouls. Which later confirmed because Dennis only picked up one more foul the whole game...

Good to see Dennis get back on track

Nice game from Tim too

Those are the only positives I got from this game

Until they clean up the turnovers, they will continue to struggle.  They cant continue to cough the ball up like that. It was damn near comical the first quarter the way they were turning it over

There were a lot of bad plays tonight but 1 stood out to me. Hawks need a stop, get the stop , but PJ Tucker grabs the rebound over Dwight.  It was just that type of night

• Like 2

• Premium Member

We had like 4 guys show up tonight. Dennis was amazing, Dwight was great, Kent had a good game and THJ had a good game as well. But that's it. I mean...that's it. Moose got 29 minutes and a start and got zero points against one of the weakest defensive teams in the entire NBA. Korver and Delaney looked horrible.

I keep pounding the drum about getting Korver out of the line up and I'm not going to stop. Bud is a confident enough coach to just give Prince and Thabo Korver's minutes between them and sit him if he's going to play like this.

• Like 1

Just now, Sothron said:

We had like 4 guys show up tonight. Dennis was amazing, Dwight was great, Kent had a good game and THJ had a good game as well. But that's it. I mean...that's it. Moose got 29 minutes and a start and got zero points against one of the weakest defensive teams in the entire NBA. Korver and Delaney looked horrible.

I keep pounding the drum about getting Korver out of the line up and I'm not going to stop. Bud is a confident enough coach to just give Prince and Thabo Korver's minutes between them and sit him if he's going to play like this.

Better to trade Korver than just put him the bench. He will still play the same even coming out as a bench player. But im not gonna give up on Korver yet imma wait till the end of the season.

1. Delaney may be the better passer over Dennis but he's just not an NBA level athlete as I said, the big run was started due to Delaney simply being out athletic'd by Knight and was ended when Korver (and possibly Muscala?) got removed from the game.
2. If you can't stop PJ Tucker from scoring, you're not at an NBA level in athleticism anymore.
3. This is the best version of Dennis. He's never going to be sharp with protecting the ball but with the way he played he was a positive to the team. I think he was fouled on that key possession.
4. It really is time for adjustments NOW as if Bud keeps these ideas it may be a long slump. You can't be a four out one in with spacing team with only one good shooter. The only idea that may be feasible though is to transition to something similar to what Memphis had, with Millsap being more featured than Dwight.

Floor spacing is needed in today's game, but it's not so needed that it's NECESSARY to start a shooter. Your shooters can come off the bench, like Chicago.

Sometimes when you get down to it, you need scoring more than spacing. Hardaway Jr can try to be the McCollum to Dennis. He needs that more than spacing. For Dennis and for the team, a possession that starts with Kyle moving around (a play obviously called for a Kyle shot or for the team to play off of his movement with him touching the ball) is almost a wasted possession most of the time. And without the blitzing and trapping scheme, Kyle's M2M defense is more exposed on the other end.

49 minutes ago, Spursfanpeacemaker said:

Give credit to Suns, they played great and shooting the ball really well.

For Hawks, Turnovers still a problem for them, they can't make a momentum when they make a turnover, and also decision making too, Baze quick long range 3 with 24 secs left on the clock not a good idea.

I think it's still a progress for this team, and still trying to figure it out playing together.

Dennis played his heart out, and did everything he could. Defense was average but not happy with this team turnovers and decision making.

If hawks can't figure out how to take care of the ball, and still make poor decisions making, they are gonna have a very rough season..

They're going to have a rough season. This might be one of the worst teams in the NBA.... Maybe a bottom 6 or 7 team. I think they got off to a good start because the league didn't know what to expect from them. Now, the rest of the league knows how to play the Hawks... The league has figured out that the Hawks lack ball handlers and play makers. They know that Dwight will not pass or create his own shot.... They know Dennis is a not a legit NBA starting PG.

This team is severely flawed. What is worse is that Bud doesn't see a problem. He doesn't feel the need to make any adjustments. It's been a year and a half since Kyle Korver contributed to this team on a consistent basis. Yet, he still starts. Most any other coach would have made the change by now.

I didn't watch the game... I mean, there isn't a good reason to still be watching the games. I've seen enough to know this team is done.

Ressler needs to force Bud's hand. Tell him to pull Korver from the lineup.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

Tough loss for us. Watched it on delay and just finished. Can't really put my finger on what we are doing wrong. I didn't like the few lazy plays by Dwight. We aren't playing Hawks ball and haven't for the last couple of weeks. The ball needs to whip around and it hasn't been. Each player isolates himself into a one on one situation and either tries to break his man down or shoots a contested jump shot. Whether it's Dennis, Baze, Thabo or anyone else, I don't want to see that anymore. I don't mind high pick n rolls but swing it after and get everyone involved and TRUST YOUR TEAMMATES!!!

There was a time when Bud out-coached everyone not named Pop or LeBron every night.  Now as the Prez Ops/GM/Coach it seems he has royally f@&ked the strategy and chemistry of his team.

If you told me Fundamentally Sound Bud's team would be damn near rock bottom in FT% and TOs I would've scoffed like an Englishman.  How did my Hawks go from the second-most fun team to watch to almost unwatchable in a span of 2 seasons?  

Detroit can't shoot worth a damn so I guess we have to rely on that to bail the Hawks out in Motown huh.  Escape .500 at the quarter point with a shitty SOS, yay (sheepishly). 

vor 7 Stunden, JTB sagte:

Amen!!! 

@Lurker said korver need to be discontinued and I approve! In fact if you ask me I say package korver and get his ass out of here but I know many won't agree lol.

Oh Bud need to start THJ at SG I think it's clear THJ can fit in with the starters and fix some of this bleeding offensively 

* cough cough * I made the first thread this season about benching KK. 

Please give me a little credit where it's due

Bad loss despite great Dennis and THJ versions. Howard is so lazy contesting mid range shots, it get my nerves. Its frustrating because it seems Dwight only motivates himself against good teams, his impact despite his 17-14 was mininum in the last quarter. Its impossible to have a good run if we cannot control the ball, too many damn turnovers. I dont understand why Bud didnt put Prince to defend Tucker or Dudley in some small ball lineups. IMO rookie deserves his 10-15 minutes and you already have said everything about Korver and THJ...

7 hours ago, Sothron said:

While they did have good offensive games, 3 of those guys had 14 turnovers between them.  Many of them turned into points on the other end. That isn't going to cut it. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JTB said:

Timmy need to start! I'm going to lose it if I see korver as the starter next game.

We need to roll with this lineup to start building some chemistry:

dennis, THJ, Baze, Sap, Howard 

Don't think anyone at all can argue anymore in Kyle's defense with Tim actually playing pretty well now. Its like we have a sleepwalker on the court and then Tim's handles come into the game and he makes a difference. 

• Like 1

At least we got to the 100 mark in 2 consecutive games.

Fouls (suns had 13 freethrows in 1st quarter)  and constant stream of turnovers buried us early. 

Turnovers are literally  killing this team - 15 in the 1st half - there was one sequence at the end of the 1st quarter where it seems we just gave the ball away 6 straight times.  That's a losing proposition.  Make the easy pass and focus.  The lack of focus to start games is very concerning.

Moose with the 0-fer - seems like EVERY game we have a player putting up an 0-fer.

Dennis played well again despite the turnovers.

Time for the THjr show.  Even Bud knows we need another ball handler:

Budenholzer said. “He gives us another ball handler. A guy who is attacking the basket a little bit. 

Glad these late TV games are over.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, StephenHawking said:

* cough cough * I made the first thread this season about benching KK. 

Please give me a little credit where it's due

To be fair, there have been several posters including myself that have wanted Korver moved to a bench role for at least the last two seasons.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Sothron said:

To be fair, there have been several posters including myself that have wanted Korver moved to a bench role for at least the last two seasons.

I know, right.  All these Lurker-come-lately fans calling for Kiel's benching coming outta the woodwork all of a sudden.

- Lurkg01