• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Stars Wars legion will be mourning

Thomas

Just to touch the list: Muhammad Ali, David Bowie, Prince, Keith Emerson, Greg Lake, George Michael, Ron Glass, Gordie Howe, Arnold Palmer, John Sanders, Gene Wilder, Florence Henderson, three heroic astronauts, and just so many more. Grew up listening to and watching a lot of these folks. The list is bigger than I can ever remember any other year with so much talent. Do agree about this part of 2016 really sucking.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Just to touch the list: Muhammad Ali, David Bowie, Prince, Keith Emerson, Greg Lake, George Michaels, Ron Glass, Gordie Howe, Arnold Palmer, John Sanders, Gene Wilder, Florence Henderson, three heroic astronauts, and just so many more. Grew up listening to and watching a lot of these folks. The list is bigger than I can ever remember any other year with so much talent. Do agree about this part of 2016 really sucking.

George Michael died? When? Oh man. 

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Sharon Jones, Leon Russell, Leonard Cohen.   If you're an old guy like me those were big ones too.

Just hard to believe so many. Here is a Bing scroll page about some of them.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=2016+celebrity+deaths&qs=FT&pq=2016+celebrity+&sc=8-15&cvid=2D543BCE677A4EF681C8AD8125BB1F69&FORM=QBLH&sp=1

Something like this, whether actor or musician, always causes me to watch or listen more to my older favorites. Bowie, Ten Years After and ELP right around '70 really caused me to think outside of my parents John Philip Sousa stuff (no offense). Bowie as well as Emerson and Lake of ELP left us this year. '70 was a very influential year in music on me. Haven't been quite right since.    

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I put this on my facebook earlier:

I am truly saddened that Carrie Fisher is no longer with us. For so many generations of young girls and women she was a great example of a strong female character that could do "anything the boys could do" and do it her own way. I know so many female friends of mine over the years, many of them here on FB, that have rightfully complained about the lack of great female characters in science fiction and fantasy. Carrie Fisher was not just a giant for them but frankly THE giant for them.

Male geeks always had a tough time growing up but we at least had a plethora of role models or characters to gravitate to. But girl geeks, well, they had Princess Leia and some Eowyn from Lord of the Rings, Wonder Woman from the comics and the TV show...and that's about it. Some people are blessed to be in a position to touch and inspire so many lives. Memory eternal to Carrie Fisher for being just that.

• Like 2