• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Word on the block is Atlanta is working on a deal to trade for Paul George

NBASupes

42 minutes ago, kg01 said:

That's exactly what he said when he re-signed there 2 years or so ago.  Said he wanted to be a visionary and a 'taste-maker' or some other such nonsense.  It's why he started wearing all those ridiculous hats.  Of course, when that didn't take off, that trend kinda trailed off.

I imagine he does a lot of dinners and whatnot with guys reaching their hands in his pockets telling him, "Yesh, yesh, you can be the next Magic Johnson ..... so you still investing in the project, right?  Oh, ok, ok."

I do recall reading that he was involved in some venture capital company or w/e so I'm sure there are some legit business reasons to be there.  Still, like most of them dudes, they forget that the only reason they're there and not just some random, curiously tall UPS worker is because of basketball.  They treat it as secondary.  Like as if they would've been this rich regardless.

Yep......

Carmelo Anthony said Thursday there were business reasons in addition to basketball ones that led him to re-sign with the Knicks this offseason.

"I just couldn't leave from that perspective," he said at the Bloomberg Sports Business Summit in Manhattan. "There were so many opportunities that I started to build upon here in New York City, business opportunities, different situations.

"I just felt if I was to leave, I would have to start all over in the next place, meet new people, build that foundation up once again, and it took me a lot to build that foundation and get it up and going to where it's at right now."

"I want to brand myself as the digital athlete," said Anthony, who used the word "brand" often. "I really want to be the pioneer for that digital athlete, and when it comes to tech, I want to be the face of that space."

He had a chance to join the Bulls then and didn't.  Melo cares about his brand not rings.

11 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

How is that any different than now?   They had 3 number 1 picks in the last 6 years. 

Uh, they at least were one of the worst teams in the league in those seasons.  You're saying them being a 1-seed and getting the #1 pick is the same thing?

14 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

How is that any different than now?   They had 3 number 1 picks in the last 6 years. 

But they were still a bad team.  This version of this Cavs team or SAS or GSW getting the #1 pick, that'll break the NBA.

10 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yep......

He had a chance to join the Bulls then and didn't.  Melo cares about his brand not rings.

I hate to see guys clearly using words they don't normally use to try to make themselves sound intelligent.  "Pioneer of the digital athlete"?  "Face of that space"?  Really, sMelo?

I'm not saying he's not schmart.  Just, stop trying so hard to coin a phrase or w/e.  Just stop trying so hard.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

But they were still a bad team.  This version of this Cavs team or SAS or GSW getting the #1 pick, that'll break the NBA.

So it's not broken?   It wasn't a serious proposal.  All I'm saying is that the current system doesn't seem to work any better than just randomness.   Lebron rigged the system, GS is about to rig the system

5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Nah.  I'm just spit balling.   

Hey, I'm not interested in details of your love life (ha!).

I think we agree something needs to change.  IMHO, there's a lot of reasons why the system was fine, in years past.  I think, first of all, everyone for the most part actually tried.  There was obviously some maneuvering but no one lacked the decency to legitimately try to win each year.  Tanking didn't happen until after teams were sure they weren't in it.

Now teams look at their opening day roster and think, "Welp, we ain't winnin' it all, might as well give up."  That's video game GM'ing and the byproduct of it is a weaker league overall.

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Hey, I'm not interested in details of your love life (ha!).

I think we agree something needs to change.  IMHO, there's a lot of reasons why the system was fine, in years past.  I think, first of all, everyone for the most part actually tried.  There was obviously some maneuvering but no one lacked the decency to legitimately try to win each year.  Tanking didn't happen until after teams were sure they weren't in it.

Now teams look at their opening day roster and think, "Welp, we ain't winnin' it all, might as well give up."  That's video game GM'ing and the byproduct of it is a weaker league overall.

And collusion by the game's stars.   

• Like 2

Since we're just slinging stuff on the wall....

Add a rule that says no 2 players can combine to make more than 40% of the total salary in a given year and no 3 players can combine to make more than 50%.  That way you end the "big 3" issue without actually depressing any one player's salary unfairly.  Get rid of all the exceptions that allow teams to go grossly over the Cap (like the super-max and bird rights deals).  

I'd also be in favor of a hard-line CAP so every team was playing on the same court.  For instance, GS's total salary this year is $97.7M.  The Hawks is $96.8M.  But the Cavs is $126.5M.    

Just now, macdaddy said:

And collusion by the game's stars.   

Good call.  Look, I understand you can't regulate player-to-player communications.  However, IMHO, if they confirm prior-communication after the fact, I think the organization should be hit with a tampering charge.

If the players confirm it themselves amidst the myriad of interviews that come after the fact, to me that's evidence that should be used against them.  It'll only happen once because the next guy(s) will be more careful, but to me that'd be worth it.

Oh, the players' assoc will have a sh*t fit about it but it'd be worth it.  F*ck you, what're you gonna do strike or leave the league?  Heyul nawl.  Take the punishment and be put on notice that players are players and gm's are gm's.  If you wanna operate outside the confines of the nba bylaws at least do so secretly and don't throw it in people's faces unnecessarily.

Why does it matter?  Because the league already faces the stigma that underhanded things go on.  Players colluding then bragging about it, is bad optics IMHO.

• Premium Member
52 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yep......

Players seem to forget how much winning improves their "brand". Jordan proved that a long time ago. BTW, if I ever, EVER post about my "brand" or refer to myself in the 3rd person, ban me.

I don't understand why Indiana is willing to deal PG13. (reportedly)  

Top to bottom they have a talented roster.  They added pieces in the summer.  Maybe they can figure it out in the future.  I think it is way too early to throw in the towel for the Pacers.  In my opinion they aren't that far away. 

3 minutes ago, hawkman said:

Players seem to forget how much winning improves their "brand". Jordan proved that a long time ago. BTW, if hawkman ever, EVER post about his "brand" or refer to himself in the 3rd person, ban hawkman.

Bann him!

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Top to bottom they have a talented roster.  They added pieces in the summer.  Maybe they can figure it out in the future.  I think it is way too early to throw in the towel for the Pacers.  In my opinion they aren't that far away. 

He's probably told them he has no intention of re-signing.  Plus, this is the most talented roster they've had with him top to bottom and they're at-best a .500 team.

I agree though, this would be a premature trading.  At least wait til the summer at the draft.

If a late 1st is costing you Lou Williams, I would imagine the price is way too high for players like Gallinari and Brook Lopez. Indy is probably in the same position as us with far less talent on their squad. At least we got rookies we like a ton. They traded their potential to win now and it's not looking like it will get them anywhere close to contending. We still have potential, we just got contracts. 

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

PG wants to contend. The value you will get this summer will be weak. Maybe a late lotto pick. At least right now, you can get a bunch of assets and a young player who got potential. If PG didn't want to contend, this would make a lot more sense. He could be like Paul and just love the organization and the city but for him, he wants to win first and foremost. Indy isn't close to contending and the cost for players of value is just too high. We saw this happen with Al. Even this year, the Millsap offers were pretty bad. Mainly contenders and pretenders giving us 10 cents on a dollar like the Ibaka trade. Trade PG now, you might can get 50 to 60 cents on a dollar. Wait till the off-season and your done. Just a bunch of mediocre offers. 

16 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

The most reliable source in the NBA just said it.... guys.... let's f***ing do this thing. Come on BudCox

There's a big difference between assessing and actually being engaged in offers.  They're probably just seeing what he could bring, hoping to be wowed.

I think it would take A LOT to really get them to listen to something.

23 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

The most reliable source in the NBA just said it.... guys.... let's f***ing do this thing. Come on BudCox

OH NO U DIDNT POST WHAT I POSTED 2 minutes after me? Sorry this trade deadline is makin me anxious...I really don't know why though...lol