• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Word on the block is Atlanta is working on a deal to trade for Paul George

NBASupes

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

He has to make 1, 2, 3 team All-NBA. He would need two players to get hurt and he's neck in neck with Gordon Heyward who has the edge. Would need three players to get hurt. Sadly, of all of the players ahead of him, they have a superior squad with Davis being the exception but not for long since he just got Cousins. 

well with this news , did your source say anything regarding this? and does he still believe the trade COULD happen?

3 minutes ago, JTB said:

well with this news , did your source say anything regarding this? and does he still believe the trade COULD happen?

No, I literally just wrote this post based on what I know about the supermax that teams can now offer but only if they are All NBA. Somewhat like an extension of the Derrick Rose Rule. 

As far as PG, he will be hard pressed to make All NBA unless he can get a much better supporting cast within the next two years. We all know Teague is a FA due for a massive payday and truthfully, he's earned it. He's playing very well for Indy. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JTB said:

It's not news, those are the parameters of the new CBA. Ex: by  Cousins getting trading he can't get the designated super max contract, he could only get it from the Kings. It a $30 mil diff over the life of the contract. Indy can offer PG the same deal if he makes All NBA - no other team can.

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It's not news, those are the parameters of the new CBA. Ex: by  Cousins getting trading he can't get the designated super max contract, he could only get it from the Kings. It a $30 mil diff over the life of the contract. Indy can offer PG the same deal if he makes All NBA - no other team can.

Yep, if he doesn't make All NBA or he is traded like Cousins, he still can get max at a higher rate than the market if you have his BR but the supermax, he can't. 

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Got it ....I didn't realize that the all NBA was apart of the cba

3 hours ago, sturt said:

As much as I'd love it, I just can't see the logic of trading PG before next summer. What's to gain? Indy would have to net a fortune to do a deal now. 

This is all fun board talk but I just can't see it being a reality. Not with a full year+ left on his contract.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm mostly agnostic about this, but there are a couple of points I think that support the idea that, unless I missed it, haven't been mentioned yet.

1) The widely-regarded depth of this upcoming draft.... a team could be looking right now at their mock draft board and seeing this as one of those historical ones, with too many exceptional players there, prompting a move to add to their haul. Yes, they could still wait until after the season, but draft picks tend to become more and more valued psychologically as Christmas in June draws nearer.... definitely some reason for now instead of later.

2) Not many teams find it wise to be so out front to advertise that they're offering their 1st pick for auction. One way to read it is that they're genuinely interested in making a major add.... and that probably is Plan A. But it also suggests a desperation,that, if a player worthy of giving up their 1st doesn't get offered, the organization saves some face as they go to Plan B... which is to say, "We tried to get there, but there was no good offer that presented itself, so we had to make a decision... we weren't going to stand pat." (And yes, Plan B being the overhaul beginning with PG.)

And I come back to my first reaction.... Bird has to be almost as frustrated as anyone in the league right now, given how potent he thought this roster was, and it's just not been that way. He *is* desperate to do something, preferably add a key piece, and I would imagine he'll hold out until the last minute before allowing himself to consider Plan B... and then there's the question of if he could actually let himself pull the trigger on that at that moment.

41 minutes ago, sturt said:

I'm mostly agnostic about this, but there are a couple of points I think that support the idea that, unless I missed it, haven't been mentioned yet.

1) The widely-regarded depth of this upcoming draft.... a team could be looking right now at their mock draft board and seeing this as one of those historical ones, with too many exceptional players there, prompting a move to add to their haul. Yes, they could still wait until after the season, but draft picks tend to become more and more valued psychologically as Christmas in June draws nearer.... definitely some reason for now instead of later.

2) Not many teams find it wise to be so out front to advertise that they're offering their 1st pick for auction. One way to read it is that they're genuinely interested in making a major add.... and that probably is Plan A. But it also suggests a desperation,that, if a player worthy of giving up their 1st doesn't get offered, the organization saves some face as they go to Plan B... which is to say, "We tried to get there, but there was no good offer that presented itself, so we had to make a decision... we weren't going to stand pat." (And yes, Plan B being the overhaul beginning with PG.)

And I come back to my first reaction.... Bird has to be almost as frustrated as anyone in the league right now, given how potent he thought this roster was, and it's just not been that way. He *is* desperate to do something, preferably add a key piece, and I would imagine he'll hold out until the last minute before allowing himself to consider Plan B... and then there's the question of if he could actually let himself pull the trigger on that at that moment.

I don't disagree with anything you are saying, but nothing you are saying really points to having to do a deal this week.  They could value the draft and still make a deal over the summer for more picks.  They could be desperate and decide to deal PG but they don't really gain anything by dealing him now.  UNLESS they think the offers will go down substantially between this week and the summer, it's hard to see a valid reason for the timing of doing a deal now.  And I'm not sure any offer would go down over the next 3 months.  It'll take a King's ransom now and over the summer, imo, to net PG. 

Boston is my biggest worry. Chicago doesn't want prospects for Butler. They want legit players and that pick. Avery Bradley and Crowder. I just don't know if that's something Boston wants to do. That being said, if Boston is out of the running, I like our chances.

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Boston is my biggest worry. Chicago doesn't want prospects for Butler. They want legit players and that pick. Avery Bradley and Crowder. I just don't know if that's something Boston wants to do. That being said, if Boston is out of the running, I like our chances.

Ainge has lost his mind if he won't move that Brooklyn pick to get either Butler or George.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sothron said:

Ainge has lost his mind if he won't move that Brooklyn pick to get either Butler or George.

Based on what SAC accepted, it appears strAinge wasn't willing to move that pick for Cousins which is equally egregious IMHO.  No one in this draft is gonna be as good as Cousins, George or Buttler.  At least not for 3-4 years at best.

Think about it.  Had they traded last year's Nets pick, they could've gotten either of these vets probably.  Fast forward to now, can they trade Jaylen Brown for either of them dudes?  Heyul nawl.  Sell the unknown, Dan E.!

14 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Ainge goal isn't to be a contender. He wants to be the best and for a along time. For that, he has to win deals and develop superstars.You also have to win the cap market.

27 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Are you suggesting that PG WILL BE traded and if it's not Boston then you like our chances?  OR are you just saying IF PG is traded then you like our chances if it's not Boston? 

I'm still having a hard time believing there's any real chance Indy trades PG.  Curious if you believe they will or won't. 

35 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

Are you suggesting that PG WILL BE traded and if it's not Boston then you like our chances?  OR are you just saying IF PG is traded then you like our chances if it's not Boston? 

I'm still having a hard time believing there's any real chance Indy trades PG.  Curious if you believe they will or won't. 

If he is traded. I like our chances if Boston is out of the picture.

The longer, the worse our assets could be. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
15 hours ago, JTB said:

with that said if you've been an ATL Hawks fan long enough you should know by now what to expect. 

f0b7609cb1bb382f12d43e048562dd94544005d1

Step 1 - Other teams end up with lopsided deals for potentially game changing talents.  Cue New Orleans fans cheering.

Step 2 - Hawks do nothing of any significance.

Step 3 - Hawks management gives variation number X+1 of WLOC speech.

• Like 4