• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2018 draft

bleachkit

• Premium Member

It is way too early to be looking into the 2018 draft for a number of reasons. We don't know what pick we might end up with, its harder to evaluate high school prospects than college players(not to mention that some players break out in college while others can fizzle out), and because the 2017 draft is tomorrow.

All that aside, here is Draft Express' mock draft for 2018.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2018/ 

I wouldn't take it too seriously though, earlier this year there were only around 4 good bigs projected to go into the first round, now there's like 15

Edited by aali34

let's start at the top. Luka Doncic is barely 18, and has as polished of a skillset as any prospect I've seen. 

Here he is at 17 playing well against the Thunder. The NBA playoff team. SEVENTEEN. Plus his fit in Bud Ball would be really nice. I don't know how he is defensively since all I've seen is highlights, but he's definitely a talent to watch if we are as bad as we could be, or we just win the lottery.

Let's go ahead and start the hype train on most of these high school seniors and act like every high school class has 30 plus NBA superstars in it.  Then we can watch most of them play medicore basketball during their first year and ignore the results.

3 hours ago, KB21 said:

Let's go ahead and start the hype train on most of these high school seniors and act like every high school class has 30 plus NBA superstars in it.  Then we can watch most of them play medicore basketball during their first year and ignore the results.

To be fair, this high school class is probably going to have a Hawk in it, so why not start Getting familiar now. Also, the only guy I've hyped up so far is a professional athlete not a high schooler. I don't want to talk about guys being stars either until they have played in college at least, but learning who players are and what they are like let's you know who to watch in college.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2017 at 2:35 AM, DBac said:

Miles Bridges would be nice depending on what we do this year.

He will probably be gone by the time the Hawks make their pick.  I think he's going to vault up draft boards and could be the first player selected.  He played out of position constantly last year and now that the Spartans have some more front court depth he will flourish at the 3 spot.  He dominated at times last year playing the 4 and 5 sometimes.  He is a match up nightmare and an athletic freak.  He is a Lebron light as far as comparisons go, but I think he's already a better shooter from deep than Lebron is/was.  

Dean Demakis with the opening salvo against the overhyped group of high school seniors everyone wants to tank to get:

https://deanondraft.com/2017/06/24/2018-preview-is-michael-porter-a-future-nba-star/

We will have to see how these guys do in college, but there is no doubt that they will be overhyped.  The only one that may actually live up to the hype is Luka Doncic, who is an international prospect.

The guy I like for the Hawks is Wisconsin's Ethan Happ.

4 hours ago, KB21 said:

Dean Demakis with the opening salvo against the overhyped group of high school seniors everyone wants to tank to get:

https://deanondraft.com/2017/06/24/2018-preview-is-michael-porter-a-future-nba-star/

We will have to see how these guys do in college, but there is no doubt that they will be overhyped.  The only one that may actually live up to the hype is Luka Doncic, who is an international prospect.

The guy I like for the Hawks is Wisconsin's Ethan Happ.

Luka is the only player I would accept a ONE year tank for.  He's just so Hawksy and he's only 18 and has played professional for 2 years.

At the center position I think Nick Richards will turn into a great center for the Hawks. I believe Collins will be the PF of the future.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marco102 said:

Luka is the only player I would accept a ONE year tank for.  He's just so Hawksy and he's only 18 and has played professional for 2 years.

At the center position I think Nick Richards will turn into a great center for the Hawks. I believe Collins will be the PF of the future.

I've never watched Nick Richards, but why is he in high school if he's only 2 months younger than our first round pick who was a sophomore in college? Seems odd.

Just now, CP61 said:

I've never watched Nick Richards, but why is he in high school if he's only 2 months younger than our first round pick who was a sophomore in college? Seems odd.

He was discovered in Jamacia at a late age, so that probably has something to do with it.

1 minute ago, marco102 said:

He was discovered in Jamacia at a late age, so that probably has something to do with it.

I'll have to give him a look then. I already miss watching draft prospects and posting on this forum, so maybe I'll start early this year. 

• Like 1

Right now, this does not look like a good draft.  This draft looks like it is going to be along the lines of 2014-2016.  The kid everyone is fawning over, Michael Porter, can't dribble the basketball.  

If I am Atlanta, I'm looking to move 2018 picks for veterans that will help the team compete now.

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Right now, this does not look like a good draft.  This draft looks like it is going to be along the lines of 2014-2016.  The kid everyone is fawning over, Michael Porter, can't dribble the basketball.  

If I am Atlanta, I'm looking to move 2018 picks for veterans that will help the team compete now.

I actually really disagree here. I think it's a lot more too heavy than this last draft though. Granted I only know like the top 5 players, but so far, it seems like a 3 elite prospect draft. Doncic, Ayton, Porter. This last draft was a 1 elite prospect draft in Fultz. i think the Hawks have a shot at one of those three though if no big free agency moves are made.

People thought the same thing about that 2014 class that had Wiggins, Randle, Parker....etc.  That class has clearly not been what it was hyped to being.  I don't think Porter would even be in the top 5 if he were ranked with the freshman that were in this past class, and I wasn't that high on most of those guys.  

I'll buy into Doncic.  He's been competing against adults and has been developing his skill level since he was 14 years old in professional systems.  I'm not going to buy into these AAU brats who are completely overhyped because they dominate players who are 2-3 years younger than they are.

• Like 1

I get what you're saying, but if not for injuries, that 2014 would be great. Wiggins is a great scorer, Jabari has been excellent in between injuries, and Embiid has been flat out dominant in the very small sample size. Talent wise though, that too three is great. I hate to throw this out there with Wiggins, but his stats are very similar to Kobe's numbers. I'm not trying to say he's going to be an all time great, but he's very good at scoring at least.

Milwaukee's been better when Jabari has been DNP-torn acl. 

I think Wiggins is overrated right now but like I've said, younger 20's people aren't what they're going to be.

But thinking Ethan Happ is a legitimate first round talent is absolutely laughable.

45 minutes ago, CP61 said:

I get what you're saying, but if not for injuries, that 2014 would be great. Wiggins is a great scorer, Jabari has been excellent in between injuries, and Embiid has been flat out dominant in the very small sample size. Talent wise though, that too three is great. I hate to throw this out there with Wiggins, but his stats are very similar to Kobe's numbers. I'm not trying to say he's going to be an all time great, but he's very good at scoring at least.

Wiggins is a volume shooter and nothing else.  He averaged 22 points a game on 19 shots a game.  He's below average in everything else.  

Randle isn't good.  Neither is Parker.  

What cracks me up is this idea that these guys who are now 22 years of age are not what they are going to be yet, but if they are 22 coming out of college, they have no upside.