• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Little Goldie should be traded.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Since we are in tanking/rebuild mode... Let's do it right.  Let's get a PG who can grow with the team instead of keeping one who we all know is not a part of the 10 year plan.

I say trade Little Goldie to Sactown for DeArron Fox. 

Here's my contention.

For us, we will be starting John Collins, Baze, and probably Plumlee.  IF we're not bringing back THJr, then let's reach out and make our team even more younger by getting Fox, who will be a star in this league.  Totally tank and put ourself in position to get more young talent in the next few years. 

Sactown actually needs a vet presence because they have very good young players.   They will not get Otto Porter but they will be next in Line for a Vet Sf but not one who can lead.  Little Goldie is perfect for them. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, willthepureshooter said:

Why??

Is Dennis a Franchise PG?  Do you see him ever leading us through the playoffs to an ECF?  IF we're cutting players from the team that makes us "Competitive" in the future... then this is a perfect time to get a PG who can be those things.

Keeping Dennis is like Orlando holding on Scott Skiles instead of trading Webber for Penny Hardaway. 

Skiles was a pretty good PG but he was not the guy who would take the franchise Forward and their GM had the foresight to see that that guy was Penny Hardaway. '

Goldie is good, however, if the only reason that we hold on to him is because he's exciting then we have no foresight. 

10 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

Ignore that this is a Diesel trade idea... and just think about the trade itself. IF Fox is as good as Calipari says, and remember that he paid John Wall and Derrick Rose very well to play for him, then why not make that trade? Worst case scenario Fox stinks and we're getting a very high lottery pick. Is that so much worse than the likelihood that this year we'll probably end up somewhere in the lottery anyway? What if Fox is actually as good as he may be? He is already more of a prototypical PG than Dennis and that's what I would prefer to build the team around. Plus he's got 20 lbs on Dennis already and 2" in height and almost the same wingspan. Oh and he's A LOT cheaper for the next 4+ years at least. 

We wouldn't get fox sooooo while I agree I also say just hold on to Dennis 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

Or Dennis may grow even more and be a legit 2 way 20/12 guy for the next decade.  

Is he going to have a brain transplant? I can see him scoring 20-25 but he's never gonna be close to a double-digit assist guy. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
Just now, HawkItus said:

Or Dennis may grow even more and be a legit 2 way 20/12 guy for the next decade.  

Doubtful.  We pretty much know who Dennis is.  Lots of people think he just started playing for us last year.  Last season he became our fulltime starter but he's been playing for us for years and the reason we drafted him is because he had a develop game because he had been playing with Grown men in Germany since he was 15.    Let me tell you, his game may change a little but his thinking (mentality) will not.  He's still pretty much the same guy he was 3 years ago.  He's learned how to get his shots in Bud's offense but he's not changing who he is, so there are limitations on what he will do. 

He might work in a system where he's not the primary ball handler.   Then after we look at his nature of passing, we have to investigate his defense. 

Now... you say he may grow.  I take it that Prince and Collins are the new face of the Hawks.  When you mix them with Dennis' controlling me first attitude... it may be better to get a PG that those guys can grow with.  I think Fox is the guy for us. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Dennis initially was a pass first unselfish PG that had great court vision. Then over the years he's developed into a shoot first PG that doesn't pass as much as he should. My big fear is how will he develop now that he is clearly the only dog left on the team that can score.

I don't agree with trading him unless Sac did offer Fox to us for him. We could rebuild our young guys together but we can't just give Dennis away. He's a good player that just needs to bring his passing back up to where it used to be.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

Is he going to have a brain transplant? I can see him scoring 20-25 but he's never gonna be close to a double-digit assist guy. 

Man he was dishing to guys who couldn't shoot or finish.  If we play uptempo and let these young guys go he could definitely get to the double digit assist mark. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Doubtful.  We pretty much know who Dennis is.  Lots of people think he just started playing for us last year.  Last season he became our fulltime starter but he's been playing for us for years and the reason we drafted him is because he had a develop game because he had been playing with Grown men in Germany since he was 15.    Let me tell you, his game may change a little but his thinking (mentality) will not.  He's still pretty much the same guy he was 3 years ago.  He's learned how to get his shots in Bud's offense but he's not changing who he is, so there are limitations on what he will do. 

He might work in a system where he's not the primary ball handler.   Then after we look at his nature of passing, we have to investigate his defense. 

Now... you say he may grow.  I take it that Prince and Collins are the new face of the Hawks.  When you mix them with Dennis' controlling me first attitude... it may be better to get a PG that those guys can grow with.  I think Fox is the guy for us. 

I'm not saying he might not continue down the dark  side.   Bur, it is also conceivable that he with a more mature attitude could work to get  his young guys going.  Also, last years team could not shoot, finish, and lacked athleticism in the first 9.  Now he is working with guys that could run with him.   

7 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Dennis initially was a pass first unselfish PG that had great court vision. Then over the years he's developed into a shoot first PG that doesn't pass as much as he should. My big fear is how will he develop now that he is clearly the only dog left on the team that can score.

I don't agree with trading him unless Sac did offer Fox to us for him. We could rebuild our young guys together but we can't just give Dennis away. He's a good player that just needs to bring his passing back up to where it used to be.

He may have shown some signs of being pass first but that was because he wasn't comfortable being himself yet and even then he didn't have great vision and he wasn't good at setting his guys up for easy looks with his ball handling and vision.