• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

GOODBYE THJ!

JTB

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Yes but THj resigned does free lock up a roster spot and free us up to move Baze if need be.

We are already 100% free to move Baze and would if anyone wanted him.  The list of teams interested in Baze shows up at the end of THJr's playoff highlights.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Trout7 said:

That 71 million deal looks pretty good for the Knicks when you compare it to the 70 million dollar deal the Hawks have with a cheerleader.

Baze's deal is absolute trash.  It probably was one of the biggest reasons Budcox got the ax and I would not benchmark anything against it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AHF said:

We are already 100% free to move Baze and would if anyone wanted him.  The list of teams interested in Baze shows up at the end of THJr's playoff highlights.

Ah come on you're better than that. Even @sturt doesn't refer to his own posts this much! 

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

Yeah.. but that's wrongheaded.

Let's imagine there's no Bazemore and no Bazemore contract.  Do you match on the basis of THJrs Ability and Possibilities?  If the answer is yes, then we should match.   Here's the what if.  What if THJr has his coming out party and he becomes a 24/4/3 type player who shoot a very good percentage?  Would you feel justified in saying... we couldn't resign him because of Baze's salary?  That's the way that Losers think.  Losers think about things in a non-basketball way.  I'm saying consider THJr free of all these other distractions.  Do you think he has the potential to be a player that is as good or better than that contract?  If you do.. resign him and when he gets there, if you're still that much concerned with the cap, trade him.  Or find a way to trade Baze... but don't let good talent go out the door because you think like a loser. 

Is it that hard to understand someone else's point of view? I don't ask you to share my opinion... But it seems not following the wisdom of the great Diesel makes me a looser, not able to think in a basketball way...
But yeah it seems I'm an idiot because once in a while I have the stupid idea one could have a good conversation about bb with you. And every time you show me that's not possible - at least without sharing your opinion...

I won't wast my time anymore in this discussion... And hopefully I remember that next time I have the intention to answer one of your posts... 

34 minutes ago, AHF said:

Actually, there were a number of things keeping us from moving Baze. Biggest of which is getting low enough in cap that salary rules don't apply in trading Baze. My guess is Baze is going away in exchange for us lowering someone else's LT (Portland, Cleveland, etc).

But in order to do that, we needed to get low enough and know we had THj in order to facilitate taking back more salary without having to meet the cap rules of 25% or 5 million.

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, thecampster said:

One last thought...THj will be a movable contract at this amount. You have to pay someone and at his age, you are effectively paying for a future asset when Dorsey, Bembry develop (or not).

You also pay a 15% trade kicker when you try to trade the contract that brought tears of laughter to the general NBA fan.

That means you pay him a bonus of $10.65M and peanut it over his contract for the additional cap hit.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, cam1218 said:

If we have somebody that will take Baze, sure? It doesn't make sense otherwise. That also sounds like we planned on matching but didn't expect to pay that much money...

Ok.. how does it make sense with Baze not being here?

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

You also pay a 15% trade kicker when you try to trade the contract that brought tears of laughter to the general NBA fan.

That means you pay him a bonus of $10.65M and peanut it over his contract for the additional cap hit.

You pay the kicker on the remainder of the contract. So say you trade him year 3 at the deadline. You are paying 15% of the remaining $25+ million. It isn't much and won't matter to a contender that would want him down the road if he's the missing piece. The cap in 3 years is expected to rise to $120 million.  $19 million for a starter is pretty normal at that cap.

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, rd79 said:

Is it that hard to understand someone else's point of view? I don't ask you to share my opinion... But it seems not following the wisdom of the great Diesel makes me a looser, not able to think in a basketball way...
But yeah it seems I'm an idiot because once in a while I have the stupid idea one could have a good conversation about bb with you. And every time you show me that's not possible - at least without sharing your opinion...

I won't wast my time anymore in this discussion... And hopefully I remember that next time I have the intention to answer one of your posts... 

Don't be mistaken, I wasn't calling you a loser.  I was saying that losing teams operate in that manner that you're talking about.  They make moves based on Budget instead of Basketball.   Here's a litmus for you.  How did you feel last year when Miami wouldn't pay D. Wade?  Or what did you think about the Grizz trading Pau Gasol for Kwame Brown so that they could save money and not worry about Gasol's contract renewal?

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, thecampster said:

You pay the kicker on the remainder of the contract. So say you trade him year 3 at the deadline. You are paying 15% of the remaining $25+ million. It isn't much and won't matter to a contender that would want him down the road if he's the missing piece. The cap in 3 years is expected to rise to $120 million.  $19 million for a starter is pretty normal at that cap.

Who do you think is going to be giving big value for him at a salary of $21.85M post-kicker?

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

Who do you think is going to be giving big value for him at a salary of $21.85M post-kicker?

If the cap is moving 19 Million dollars higher, I don't see contending teams not ponying up money for THJr if we have showcased him well. 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

If the cap is moving 19 Million dollars higher, I don't see contending teams not ponying up money for THJr if we have showcased him well. 

I do.  Why spent $22M on him when you can have someone like Belini for $6M who gives you basically the same results and then spend your big money on real stars.  It is why the Spurs and teams like that don't sign role players to exorbinant contracts.  $22M is not an insigificant salary.  It is a larger % of the cap assuming the cap moves up than Steph Curry, Iggy, Draymond Green, and Klay Thompson made this year.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

I do.  Why spent $22M on him when you can have someone like Belini for $6M who gives you basically the same results and then spend your big money on real stars.  It is why the Spurs and teams like that don't sign role players to exorbinant contracts.  $22M is not an insigificant salary.  It is a larger % of the cap assuming the cap moves up than Steph Curry, Iggy, Draymond Green, and Klay Thompson made this year.

That's assuming that Hardaway will be the same player he was last year.  I contend that for somebody to feel good about the match, you got to believe that he will reach for higher potential that he has shown at 15, 3, 2 with 45% from the field and ~36 from three in 27 mpg.  I happen to think that he will be better than that based on the work ethic that he has shown.  You  may disagree.  But let's say we play him 32 mpg as a starter... Let's say that he improves slightly... (on the same pace, we would expect about 18 ppg with more minutes) but I will say he does better than that and gives us 20.5 ppg.   That's only slightly better average but I think if we showcased him well, teams will be beating the door down to get a 2 guard that can give you 20 ppg at that price in a new cba.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
51 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Ok.. how does it make sense with Baze not being here?

We aren't paying too much for two shooting guards..

If we don't match....that's ANOTHER wasted first round pick. 

Jesus. I love bud, but after his time as GM or whatever I would not be that upset if he was ever fired. 

He DESTROYED this team. All his coaching aside, he's directly responsible for a team that now has to tank and rebuild. Is that really all that different from a coach that just sucks? 

Edited by Afro

11 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

Agreed.  And honestly, it just points to the fact that the NYK front office don't have a clue what they are doing. 

Well sure...they don't care about the money..its New York...They do have a potential superstar in the making at PF...so even when they lose on a deal like this they still beat us....smdh