• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

"He just crushed it, and we were like, 'Whoa, f--k!'" Budenholzer recalls

Admin

Yea.  Good to know his history.  Sounds like his heart is in the right place but he may make some poor decitions due to maturity.  That will improve over time. Still excited about what he could become.

• Like 3

My expectation is Top 15 PG in the NBA. Top 10? That'll take a LOT of work and maturing. I like The Menace though.

35 minutes ago, Lurker said:

This is an older article but this is what I've been saying. Dennis isn't really Euro like at all. Yes, he was born in Germany, but he acts more like American millennials do.

Yeah... 4 months old. I think it's still relevant though. 

Dennis surprised me with his shooting percentages this past season.  Hopefully he does the same with his grasp of facilitation.  With his moxie there's no reason to think he won't.  

Some technical aspects of his game are tough to watch sometimes for me but his competitiveness more than makes up for it.  I guarantee you won't ever see Dennis begging to go play with some flavor of the month superteam I know that.  He's non-millennial in that way.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Lurker said:

This is an older article but this is what I've been saying. Dennis isn't really Euro like at all. Yes, he was born in Germany, but he acts more like American millennials do.

While it is true that he may have a similar mindset as American millennials, which isn't a good thing, he also did not grow up in the AAU environment.  Instead, Dennis was consistently told that he couldn't do this.  He was told to give up basketball.  He was forced to defend when he was at practice.  It wasn't all about showcasing his skills over there.  That is a key part of his development.

He's still immature, and that's the American millennial part.  I am concerned about his progress without Paul around to give him a mature, steadying presence and an older guy to lean on.  The talent is undeniable though.  There isn't a guard in the NBA that can stay in front of him.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

While it is true that he may have a similar mindset as American millennials, which isn't a good thing, he also did not grow up in the AAU environment.  Instead, Dennis was consistently told that he couldn't do this.  He was told to give up basketball.  He was forced to defend when he was at practice.  It wasn't all about showcasing his skills over there.  That is a key part of his development.

He's still immature, and that's the American millennial part.  I am concerned about his progress without Paul around to give him a mature, steadying presence and an older guy to lean on.  The talent is undeniable though.  There isn't a guard in the NBA that can stay in front of him.  

Yeah, no NBA player was ever immature in his early 20's . Stupid millennials, ruining basketball with their fancy dribbling and trash talk. Wish we could go back to the good ole days with blue collar guys like Latrell Sprewell, Ron Artest, Rasheed Wallace. Those guys knew how to keep their mouth shut and play ball. Nowadays we're stuck watching these millenials and their social media lives. I wish Jordan, Barkley, Magic Johnson had social media so we could see what good clean family friendly lives they lived in the 80's. /purple

• Like 3

Dennis is a fiery competitive person. I'd rather have his passion than stoic Teague and Joe Johnson and every other boring, satisfied with being average player that we invest in to lead us to glory.

Energy is everything. Dennis is the first guy up off the bench to cheer on his teammates, and he doesn't back down from anyone on the other team. And he doesn't need throw guy under the bus or make it all about him. Dude plays with an edge and confidence. He only cares about winning. If you don't like that then sports may not be for you. 

Edited by RedDawg#8
  • Like 4

• Moderators
14 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Yeah, no NBA player was ever immature in his early 20's . Stupid millennials, ruining basketball with their fancy dribbling and trash talk. Wish we could go back to the good ole days with blue collar guys like Latrell Sprewell, Ron Artest, Rasheed Wallace. Those guys knew how to keep their mouth shut and play ball. Nowadays we're stuck watching these millenials and their social media lives. I wish Jordan, Barkley, Magic Johnson had social media so we could see what good clean family friendly lives they lived in the 80's. /purple

With Barkley it was interesting enough not to  need the internet.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, KB21 said:

There isn't a guard in the NBA that can stay in front of him.  

Agreed. And yet, begging the question, why haven't we seen the converse of that?

I'm not dogging his ability. I'm not even certain I'm dogging his willingness. He's well-regarded defensively as I read and listen to other non-ATL media types, but why isn't this player considered an absolute elite defensive PG... one of, if not the very best in the league....? That's what I want to know.

5 hours ago, sturt said:

Agreed. And yet, begging the question, why haven't we seen the converse of that?

I'm not dogging his ability. I'm not even certain I'm dogging his willingness. He's well-regarded defensively as I read and listen to other non-ATL media types, but why isn't this player considered an absolute elite defensive PG... one of, if not the very best in the league....? That's what I want to know.

I think  really good question to your question is just how many are there in the NBA that are themselves an "absolute elite" defensive PG?

You got Beverly and who else? And he can only give you defense.

Most guys with the elite defensive tools are elite offensive players and it's hard to have enough in the tank to do both especially when 90% of the PGs you have to defend nowadays are really good offensively.

Its 2017, no hand checking against this caliber of stars playing the PG position means finding "Elite" defensive PGs is very rare.

From this past season, the rankings of the point guards relative to defensive win shares:

1.  Russell Westbrook 4.6

2.  Stephen Curry 3.9

3.  John Wall 3.0

4.  Rajon Rondo 2.7

5.  Marcus Smart 2.7

6.  Goran Dragic 2.6

7.  Jrue Holiday 2.6

8.  Chris Paul 2.6

9.  Mike Conley 2.5

10.  Dennis Schröder 2.5

I think it was Travis Schlenk that said Dennis does things defensively that do not show up in the stat sheet.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I think it was Travis Schlenk that said Dennis does things defensively that do not show up in the stat sheet.

I agree with that. And yet, I think many of us believe he's only scratched the surface of his potential defensively. Maybe I'm wrong about that... haven't conducted that poll yet.

• Premium Member

Some of Dennis' struggles defensively can probably attributed to the increased workload he had offensively as a first time starter. Before, when he was playing limited minutes off the bench, he could go all out and give a better showing on the defensive end. Going into his second year as a starter, I think he'll figure out how to manage himself better on that end and we'll see some improvement.

Dennis' defense also suffered because of Howard's inability or reluctance to step up on p&r.  I think that will be the biggest difference with having Dedmon now and our guards will benefit the most defensively. 

• Like 3