• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Some info on Marvin Bagley

aali34

Bagley isn't long though.  He's 6'11" with a 7'0" wingspan.  In fact, Cole Zwicker from The Stepien discussed him on a recent podcast and stated that he looks like a T-Rex on the floor.  

His defensive awareness is nonexistent.  He is constantly missing rotations within the Duke 2-3 zone defense.  He doesn't go to his right at all.  He's a straight line dribbler.  He has no range outside of 3 feet.  

In fact, here is their write up on Bagley, who they have as the 9th best prospect in the draft, which is around where I would rate him:  https://www.thestepien.com/marvin-bagley/

Jaron Jackson is younger than Bagley, but he is a better prospect than Bagley.  Unlike Bagley, Jackson has great length with a 7'4" wingspan.  He's also a MUCH better shooter from the perimeter.  He's got more upside as a two way player at the four position who could end up moving to the 5 as his frame fills out.  

But, hey.  I'm just being too hard on these poor young players who are touted as the savior of some wretched franchise.

I’ve watched every minute of every duke game...looking like a t rex is not at all how you fell watching him. But ok. I literally said he needs to work on his jumper. He doesn’t dribble much and when he does it’s out of control sometimes...said that as well. You truly just want to be over the top negative. His activity and length has made him a terror on the boards for teams so far. The jumper isn’t broke, it just needs work. The mechanics of it aren’t bad. He can get that together like so many others have thru the years. And as far as the zone they all have looked lost early on. That’s not something duke does a lot of, mostly a man squad so I’m not sure what he problem is right now but they all look kind of lost at the moment. Actually watch the games and quit talking about these random recruiting sites 

Honestly had to do a double take when I tuned into a Duke game and saw them playing zone.  Felt like K trying to throw a not-so-subtle shade at Boeheim.  From the look and size of their players I guess K feels comfortable switching his guys a lot but there are definitely some kinks to work out there even with the older players.  Most teams are essentially in the exhibition and homecoming parts of their schedule so perhaps it just looked worse up against another power team in Michigan State.  Perhaps it's worked out or scrapped by the time they get into conference play.

9 hours ago, jy23 said:

I’ve watched every minute of every duke game...looking like a t rex is not at all how you fell watching him. But ok. I literally said he needs to work on his jumper. He doesn’t dribble much and when he does it’s out of control sometimes...said that as well. You truly just want to be over the top negative. His activity and length has made him a terror on the boards for teams so far. The jumper isn’t broke, it just needs work. The mechanics of it aren’t bad. He can get that together like so many others have thru the years. And as far as the zone they all have looked lost early on. That’s not something duke does a lot of, mostly a man squad so I’m not sure what he problem is right now but they all look kind of lost at the moment. Actually watch the games and quit talking about these random recruiting sites 

Ah, well.  #1 overall pick by a mile then.

Who said that? I never said where he should be picked, I never even said we should pick him. I’m just giving an honest assessment of his game. Relax man 

19 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

He fouled out.

But he played right? And he didn’t foul out til overtime 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I'm trying to play it off, ok?

I figured that lol

I’ve seen him being compared to John Collins by some draftniks after the Texas game. Not in style of play, but the fact that they are both stat stuffers who probably will do that wherever they play no matter what kind of impact they are actually making.

I’ll say this, he does have that star power vibe to him. Scoring just looks effortless for him. 

Edited by CP61

3 hours ago, CP61 said:

I’ve seen him being compared to John Collins by some draftniks after the Texas game. Not in style of play, but the fact that they are both stat stuffers who probably will do that wherever they play no matter what kind of impact they are actually making.

I’ll say this, he does have that star power vibe to him. Scoring just looks effortless for him. 

Watched the game and I was impressed but at the same time he still doesn’t have that go to move ...like his teammate Grayson Allen said “everything he does is basic but all the athleticism he has makes it look effortless”....I’m not saying I want him doing step back jumpers just saying he needs a go to move at some point in his career to really be a great scorer at the nba level but hey he has plenty of time to find it.

i was most impressed with him taking his man off the dribble. He can get wild at times with the dribbling but nonetheless I like his ability to put the ball on the floor. If he had a more complete offensive skill set he’d be dropping 30pts per game but right now all 20 of his points are off of nothing but athleticism unlike deandre ayton who is his main competition as far best big in this draft class.

I don’t mind drafting bagley he has good upside but I rather Ayton or Doncic. If we draft bagley we are going to be waiting a few years until he really finds himself as a player.

whereas Ayton and Doncic have way higher chances of having instant impact their rookie seasons in the nba...that’s just my opinion of course. 

12 hours ago, JTB said:

I don’t mind drafting bagley he has good upside but I rather Ayton or Doncic. If we draft bagley we are going to be waiting a few years until he really finds himself as a player.

whereas Ayton and Doncic have way higher chances of having instant impact their rookie seasons in the nba...that’s just my opinion of course. 

I still have issues with rathering Doncic over any of the three. Not saying Doncic isn't the most skilled of the bunch and the best passer but his athleticism is a major issue that can't be overlooked. He was covering as much defensive ground as Korver and everyone knows that's limited. That's not to say, he isn't a surefire top 5 pick in this class but still, I don't see how you take him over Bagley, Ayton and Bamba. I just can't see it. The NBA is not Euroleague. It's not the NCAA's. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Elite skill is its own value.  Based on reach and raw athleticism you'd pass on guys like Bird, Stockton, etc.  If his skills are that good, they can overcome a lot and be worthy of a foundational player.  I'm still on the Doncic bandwagon with Ayton coming next.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, AHF said:

Elite skill is its own value.  Based on reach and raw athleticism you'd pass on guys like Bird, Stockton, etc.  If his skills are that good, they can overcome a lot and be worthy of a foundational player.  I'm still on the Doncic bandwagon with Ayton coming next.  

This is my question on Doncic.  He doesn't have elite size or athleticism.  So, does he have elite shot making and creating skills the way guys like Curry, Irving, Nash have/had to compensate?  I think he's good, but I don't know if I see elite for the NBA.

• Like 1