This Looks Bad

AHF

• Moderators

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/john-coppolellas-resignation-just-start-atlanta-braves-problems-230643724.html

Hope the Braves don't lose players because of this guy.

Over the course of Coppolella’s career – one that may have ended Monday as he resigned amid a Major League Baseball investigation into violations with international and domestic amateurs as well as tampering accusations, sources told Yahoo Sports – his disregard for rules fueled his ascent and hastened his downfall. As he climbed to the front-facing position in a prominent organization, Coppolella earned scorn from peers by ignoring the be-seen, not-heard industry convention and relying upon friendly media relationships to bolster his public reputation. His tenure as Braves GM eventually descended into chaos, with discord in the organization building and, eventually, erupting as anonymous accusations against him led to the investigation that forced his resignation, according to sources.

(Article is significantly longer)

I agree. I hope we don't lose some of the international guys signed by Copy, but I'm pretty sure we'll lose at least Matian. The organization may also get a lot of restrictions placed on signings over several years. Essentially, this is like an FBS school finding out their HC committed multiple recruitment violations. The hope is by getting rid of the coach and staff that committed the infractions the penalty will be less. But, loss of institutional control seems applicable here. 

I do wonder if now is the time to do a full re-set of Braves management. the two Johns and McGuirk need to step away once a new GM is found. The Braves have been in a freefall of one kind or another since the mid-2000s when they started going with vets over revitalizing the minors. 

Given the new information coming out that Hart is likely to be fired/retired soon- I do wonder if MLB is in discussions with Liberty about selling the Braves? The current situation is a total failure of upper-level management and ownership. Liberty is completely an absentee owner and they need to sell for the sake of Braves and pro-baseball in Atlanta.  Even with the new stadium, I would expect attendance next year to be bad. 

There are a few ways for the Braves to turn attendance around:

1. abandon the rebuild through the minors and make significant trades and FA to bring in "name" guys. This will require a lot more cash from ownership and will sacrifice long-term stability

2. Bring in a new owner that makes it clear the team is in for one more year of losing, but they will start to explore how to improve the major league product via smart trades and FA.  

3. Liberty changes stance: cleans out all current management. Hires a new and respected management team, and then starts investing in the Braves. (of course this won't happen, but it could)

For me, I'm content with the club building for the long-run via the minor leagues. I expect we are still several years away from a playoff team, but in baseball going after high-priced FAs seems to be a losing proposition. To understand why I support the rebuild via the minors,  just look at how the current playoff teams look in terms of internal guys v. FAs- it leans heavily towards building via the minor leagues (even the Yankees moved this direction(and did it much better than the Braves)). 

Where is this information that Hart will be fired/retired/not renewed soon?  IMO, John Hart is at the very least at fault for the lack of oversight in this situation.  There is no way to make him look good here.  He either knew about this and did nothing, or he didn't supervise the young GM well enough.  

The Braves should not renew Hart's contract.  Let him walk.  Bring in Dayton Moore as the President of Baseball Operations, and let him hire the next GM.  Dayton went to a baseball wasteland and built a world series roster.  He built a strong analytics staff, so those that think Dayton is just another "old school" baseball guy who is out of touch with today's game can back off that concern.  

https://www.fangraphs.com/tht/royals-royals/

To begin with, the idea the Royals are some old-school organization that eschews advanced stats is plain wrong. Kansas City has a bigger and better analytics department than many realize; the team just rarely divulges much information about that work to the public.

Ultimately, Kansas City is still not viewed as a sabermetric team due to a dated reputation that no longer accurately reflects the organization’s capabilities. Instead, the Royals should be regarded as one of the smartest organizations in baseball — a franchise, much like the Pirates or Astros, that has developed a clear plan and carried it out to great success. No, the Royals haven’t excelled solely because they possess some hyper-advanced analytics department filled with mad scientists churning out data and formulas that are well ahead of everyone else. But what they’ve done probably would draw far more accolades from the sabermetrics crowd if a team like the Rays or Cubs had succeeded with similar strategies.

The Royals, for their part, are probably fine with being misjudged and underestimated. They have one of baseball’s best front offices and a collection of hard-nosed players any fan would love to root for. Luck is the last reason for their run to the World Series crown.

The reason why Dayton Moore does not want to come is because John Schuerholz is insisting one of his buddies stays the President of Baseball Ops and that his son become the GM after the next two years.

It's a whole, big mess. Do not listen to people that say Schuerholz is not involved, he very much is involved, even though its not day in and day out. If he does not like what is going on? He pushes back, kicking and screaming. 

The correct answer with the analytics vs the eye test/old school mentality is both should be used. Baseball is the sport in which analytics matter the most, but you can still use the good ole' eye test and old school mentality too, there's a way to combine it.

• Moderators
21 hours ago, KB21 said:

If JS was involved, none of this would have happened.  He's above that.  The idea that he wants to groom his son to be the GM are completely unsubstantiated as well.

He's already done the Doc Rivers move with his son.  Remember when we drafted him way higher than any other team was looking? 

I don't know if he has earned his pay grade on the scouting side but I am just saying JS clearly isnt totally above it.

13 hours ago, AHF said:

He's already done the Doc Rivers move with his son.  Remember when we drafted him way higher than any other team was looking? 

I don't know if he has earned his pay grade on the scouting side but I am just saying JS clearly isnt totally above it.

It was known beforehand with John Jr that he had little to no chance even in the minor leagues. Any other team other than Atlanta and he's drafted a lot later than in the 8th or not drafted at all.

Sorry, but you're right. People need to appreciate Schuerholz for the 1990s but realize that he may have been a problem after that...really starting with the desperation moves to extend a run that was as good as over in the 00s. Not everything is as it seems at the surface with a person. 

The fact that Coppolella is considering taking legal action only tosses fuel on the fire IMO that this is not just him and Hart.

No, he was not fired because of something bad that he did, it's more likely he got fired because he was a scapegoat and a guy that is bad at acting professional. It might be, at worst, he's a scapegoat for sketchy stuff that the Braves have done for decades down in Latin America and it's all come out. He was just the guy that wasn't careful and leaked this, which has the higher ups, including Schuerholz absolutely furious at him.

At best, this is similar to "lack of institutional control" in college sports.

• Like 1