• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Luka Doncic thread

frosgrim

39 minutes ago, hawkman said:

But is he a superstar though? In the end, that's all that matters to me. I'm warming up to the idea of drafting him #1, but I'm genuinely worried about getting sucked into the hype surrounding this kid and ending up with a 'good' player as the centerpiece of the franchise for the next few years. The best comparison I've seen so far is Joe Johnson minus the defense. The under the rim game, ability to be a primary ball handler, and versatile offensive skills do remind me of JJ. But do we take JJ with the #1 pick?

You are concerned about the hype around Doncic?

What the hell do you think is propping Bagley up right now?  Bagley is ALL HYPE and not close to the player Doncic is.  

36 minutes ago, jy23 said:

Dude stop lol. You really sound silly with this crap now. He leads NCAA in double doubles but he’s all hype? It’s extremely hard to take you serious 

Bagley is my top guy in this draft. But I still don't want a Collins-Bagley frontcourt. 

10 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Pistol Pete is the best comparison. Joe Johnson and him aren't all that similar. Two completely different types. Joe was more all around but he wasn't someone who would be hard to stop in the NBA. You really can't double Doncic. That said, Doncic defensively will never be what Joe was. 

Pistol Pete was a great player. Id be more than happy with that. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nathan2331 said:
9 hours ago, KB21 said:
Bagley can't shoot, can't defend, can only score with one hand, can only dribble with one hand in wide spaces, and can't pass, but he's the top prospect in the draft.  LOL!

Have you considered what he does well?

His only two positive traits are his motor and athleticism.  His skill level is awful, and his BBIQ is not very high.

20 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Bagley is my top guy in this draft. But I still don't want a Collins-Bagley frontcourt. 

I feel the same way, that pairing doesn’t sit well with me 

• Like 3

His only two positive traits are his motor and athleticism.  His skill level is awful, and his BBIQ is not very high.

He's got more to his game, but keep hating. I don't necessarily want the Hawks to draft him #1, but he is a productive player in college. Bagley could probably get you 15 & 10 right now on a given night in the NBA, Collins has shown us what motor and athleticism can do. That's a strong base to work from, and he's got other tools to work with.
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:
15 hours ago, KB21 said:

He's got more to his game, but keep hating. I don't necessarily want the Hawks to draft him #1, but he is a productive player in college. Bagley could probably get you 15 & 10 right now on a given night in the NBA, Collins has shown us what motor and athleticism can do. That's a strong base to work from, and he's got other tools to work with.

Easily. but he underrates how athletic Bagley is. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

Doncic can be better than the skilled but overrated Pistol.  Pistol was the AI of his time - inefficient, flashy volume scorer who undermined his team's success by overshadowing the rest of every team in college and the pros in his prime.  Doncic can integrate into a successful team structure much better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nathan2331 said:
15 hours ago, KB21 said:

OK.  Tell me what that "more" to his game is.

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, Flight said:

The fact that Doncic has the worst potential defensively of probably any of the top options is a bit discouraging though.

He will also struggle to get by his man in the NBA. I just don't see how he will be able to consistently create offense in the NBA without a decent first step. I compared him to Joe Johnson minus the defense. I was wrong. Joe was an excellent isolation scorer and was more athletic than given credit for. I want to buy in because he's really skilled, but I can imagine the length and quickness of NBA wings giving him fits.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, hawkman said:

He will also struggle to get by his man in the NBA. I just don't see how he will be able to consistently create offense in the NBA without a decent first step. I compared him to Joe Johnson minus the defense. I was wrong. Joe was an excellent isolation scorer and was more athletic than given credit for. I want to buy in because he's really skilled, but I can imagine the length and quickness of NBA wings giving him fits.

That’s what I worry about, his skill will make him a solid addition to our offense but he isn’t someone you’d think has the potential to dominate at his position. Ayton, Bagley and Porter could all have higher ceilings as far as advantages in size and versatility. Which is a big deal when you’re choosing top 5.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, Flight said:

That’s what I worry about, his skill will make him a solid addition to our offense but he isn’t someone you’d think has the potential to dominate at his position. Ayton, Bagley and Porter could all have higher ceilings as far as advantages in size and versatility. Which is a big deal when you’re choosing top 5.

Agreed and that's why the Hawks have to avoid the "let's pick the guy who's most accomplished right now" approach.  They'll have to consider how they feel these guys will project going forward.  That should be a big factor in whether the Hawks use the pick out right or package it in a trade.  I think Doncic will be a good player, but I don't think he projects to be a dominate NBA player.  If the Hawks end up drafting him, I'll root for him and hope he proves me wrong.

Edited by Jody23
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Jody23 said:

Agreed and that's why the Hawks have to avoid the "let's pick the guy who's most accomplished right now" approach.  They'll have to consider how they feel these guys will project going forward.  That should be a big factor in whether the Hawks use the pick out right or package it in a trade.  I think Doncic will be a good player, but I don't think he projects to be a dominate NBA player.  If the Hawks end up drafting him, I'll root for him and hope he proves me wrong.

I agree 100%. The most important component to this rebuild is acquiring a superstar via the Draft and I don't think Doncic will be a superstar in the NBA.

• Like 1