• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

LaVar Ball Wowww.

sturt

This man is on the verge of starting his own league for high school players and it’s going to be a huge hit. He’s going to pay the players anywhere from 3000 to 10000 Dollars a month for anyone who doesn’t want to go to college for that 1 and done year. Mr Ball is about to hit it really really big with this bc theirs lots of high school kids that won’t have to go to college for that one year and get paid. Can’t believe know one else came up with this idea and i think this is a good thing if it can happen. NCAA and the NBA can’t stop it and I Love IT. GO TO THE  bleacher report in you can read all about it. 80 players,10 teams and THE ATL is one of the city that will have a team or teams. 

I don't care if this sounds like me hating, but this would be awful for basketball. Sounds like an extension of AAU basketball which we need less of. I know a college education has little value to players with NBA aspirations, but you need to learn the game in a structured environment, not some run & gun league with commercialization as it's #1 objective.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, LikejRod29 said:

This man is on the verge of starting his own league for high school players and it’s going to be a huge hit. He’s going to pay the players anywhere from 3000 to 10000 Dollars a month for anyone who doesn’t want to go to college for that 1 and done year. Mr Ball is about to hit it really really big with this bc theirs lots of high school kids that won’t have to go to college for that one year and get paid. Can’t believe know one else came up with this idea and i think this is a good thing if it can happen. NCAA and the NBA can’t stop it and I Love IT. GO TO THE  bleacher report in you can read all about it. 80 players,10 teams and THE ATL is one of the city that will have a team or teams. 

It's smart and it's something that the NBA had a chance to do long ago but they kept feeding the NCAA tourney Machine. 

The question will be will the NBA accept these players?  They will no longer be able to go to college after this.  There's LONG money in this, especially if he can get a TV contract for his League.  Ice Cube's League couldn't weather the storm but if Ball can out recruit College, then he will be Big balla for real. 

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

I don't care if this sounds like me hating, but this would be awful for basketball. Sounds like an extension of AAU basketball which we need less of. I know a college education has little value to players with NBA aspirations, but you need to learn the game in a structured environment, not some run & gun league with commercialization as it's #1 objective.

It's awful for the NCAA.  Imagine if he has 3 classes where all of the Mcdonald's star go to his league instead of College?  I bet it wouldn't be long before the NCAA ask him to allow his team to compete in the tourney.

As far as coaching, I don't think this have to be an extension of AAU.  It can easily be an extension of the NBADL. 

Yea right. Good luck organizing the league, securing venues, sponsors, advertising. Sports leagues are not easy to run, and mostly they are unprofitable. And there are not as many one and done players as everyone thinks, its really just the creme of the crop, and their agents will probably advise against joining Lavar Ball's league. 

It's awful for the NCAA.  Imagine if he has 3 classes where all of the Mcdonald's star go to his league instead of College?  I bet it wouldn't be long before the NCAA ask him to allow his team to compete in the tourney.

As far as coaching, I don't think this have to be an extension of AAU.  It can easily be an extension of the NBADL. 

It could focus on player development, but do you think any league ran by Lavar Ball is going to focus on anything besides money?

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Yea right. Good luck organizing the league, securing venues, sponsors, advertising. Sports leagues are not easy to run, and mostly they are unprofitable. And there are not as many one and done players as everyone thinks, its really just the creme of the crop, and their agents will probably advise against joining Lavar Ball's league. 

All it takes is the agent's support. Or he may become an agent for all of them.  Still, it's not as hard as you make it out.   The key to making it work is the players.   If he get top players, he can work out a TV deal.  He would have to show the ability to get the top players and then get them into the league.  Where I agree with you is that he will have to work hard negotiating with the NBA.   Deep down, I believe that the NBA has wanted to have another way (their own) to the pros aside from college because college is sucking up a whole lot of cash.  If Lavar has the smarts to cut the NBA in on the bigger parts of the deal, I believe that they can make his league a reality. 

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:
49 minutes ago, Diesel said:

It could focus on player development, but do you think any league ran by Lavar Ball is going to focus on anything besides money?

The money is beside the point.   It will do that regardless.   That doesn't mean that he won't put a good product on the floor.  Players in Europe are trained by methods that we don't know, are coached by people we don't know.. and they come into the NBA draft and fans drool over these Europrospects.   My thought is that these Diaper dandies are a lot better than the Europlayers from a potential standpoint and if Ball focuses on coaching, his league will be bigger than college and the Euros.  

The NBA would probably undercut Ball before he could get a league started. Either lower the draft age to 18 or possibly allow them to play in the NBADL. These guys that would be playing in Ball's league would be risking losing too much from potential injury. 

• Like 1

The money is beside the point.   It will do that regardless.   That doesn't mean that he won't put a good product on the floor.  Players in Europe are trained by methods that we don't know, are coached by people we don't know.. and they come into the NBA draft and fans drool over these Europrospects.   My thought is that these Diaper dandies are a lot better than the Europlayers from a potential standpoint and if Ball focuses on coaching, his league will be bigger than college and the Euros.  

I have a hard time believing Ball is worried about anyone's development. Nothing he's said or done suggests that.

38 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Do you care to make a wager on that? The odds of a viable basketball league coming into existence with a major television contract and a business partnership with the NBA and also run and founded by one LaVar Ball is at least 1,000,000,000 to 1.

• Like 1

The reason why LaVar Ball may be on to something here, is because the internet be blowing these kids up . . . turning them into nationwide rock stars even before they go to college.  Lonzo was one.  LaMelo ( from a popularity standpoint ), was a bigger internet sensation than his brother.  But there are kids all around the country that are not only being seen locally and by college scouts, the entire world is seeing them and hyping them beyond belief.

In a group of 80 kids, all it would take for LaVar to sell his league, is 5 - 7 standout kids . . initially.  That's all it would take to see a small arena packed to see a glorified AAU game with some of the nation's best kids . . that didn't go to college.

Like this guy.  All of the kids who watch the high school basketball channels, know who he is.  I found him by accident tonight.  He's going to Georgetown.  But if he opted not to go to college, and instead spend a year in LaVar's Junior Basketball Association, do you think people would come out to see him?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Do you care to make a wager on that? The odds of a viable basketball league coming into existence with a major television contract and a business partnership with the NBA and also run and founded by one LaVar Ball is at least 1,000,000,000 to 1.

Yea, it's a bit of a cart leading the horse.  It's fine to have a dream but you need to establish a viable and sustainable infrastructure beforehand.  LaVar is not the first person to decide to start his own league so just having the idea alone doesn't guarantee success in the least. 

I will say one thing that is perhaps in his favor in that television now has been mitigated by the internet.  Most leagues in the past have been doomed by a lack of TV presence but if he can manage to broadcast on someplace like YouTube before perhaps starting his own dedicated streaming site he can maybe make some headway. 

There's that and I'm not going to count the man's pockets but...that's a mighty expensive F U to the NCAA.  Which leads me to believe there's got to be some monetary end game here beyond just bringing shine to BBB.  I can easily imagine something along the lines of players having to sign on to LaVars own agency or one that he's in cahoots with in order to play...and oh hey, that sounds just like the NCAA!

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, DUrce1 said:

The NBA would probably undercut Ball before he could get a league started. Either lower the draft age to 18 or possibly allow them to play in the NBADL. These guys that would be playing in Ball's league would be risking losing too much from potential injury. 

If they had the same opportunity to get into the pros that the college players have, then I don't think the NBA would care that much.  i.e. 1 year is 1 year.   Right now, their options are NCAA and Europe.   For him to add another possibility doesn't hurt the NBA, especially if the NBA can make a side deal with him.   The only losers here is the NCAA and TV and TV can make up their losses. 

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, bleachkit said:

The idea is out there now.   How long before investors or somebody with enough money (Nike Money) start to think... hey why not?  The thing that Ball lacks right now is credibility.   However, potential is something that he has loads of.  He may not be the person to bring such a league into existence, but don't think that it won't happen.

• Premium Member

The NCAA has been prostituting this kids for too long.  If another option comes along (It may not be Ball) that can develop them and pay them something for their time... I can see it bringing in a lot of players.  Especially those who have no business being in college.