• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae Young

bleachkit

He is very good when he's in control... For a while after the hype machine got out of control he wasn't. He showed the ability to be in control before then.

Not saying that I'm drafting him 1-3, I probably don't but I'd give strong consideration to him over some other top prospects (and I reserve the right to change my mind if a guy like Bamba proves me wrong over the next month).

Edited by Lurker

Considering Trae can lead an offense while being a scoring threat, you’d think he’d be up for consideration by the Hawks. Nobody outside of Doncic And Trae have the potential to be major threats on the wing in this draft class. Those guys are valuable. Especially in today’s NBA with perimeter scoring being so important. I’m not taking him over Doncic or Ayton but outside of those two, he’d be the pick if it were up to me. 

Edited by Guard
  • Like 2

• Moderators

I'd want a thorough report from our scouts seeing what he looks like with the adjustment to NBA level defenders (struggled against Sexton some who is athletic and active but not a great defender) and transitioning from an offense that revolves around him to one where he is sharing the ball.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Guard said:

Considering Trae can lead an offense while being a scoring threat, you’d think he’d be up for consideration by the Hawks. Nobody outside of Doncic And Trae have the potential to be major threats on the wing in this draft class. Those guys are valuable. Especially in today’s NBA with perimeter scoring being so important. I’m not taking him over Doncic or Ayton but outside of those two, he’d be the pick if it were up to me. 

Well MPJ does. Always forget about the dude because of his injury but if it checks out, he was supposed to be in the top 3 convo 

• Like 1

I honestly believe that Schlenk is going to go after Trae Young. Took me a minute to admit it to myself but the guy resembles curry at the college level all too much. And curry being a player who Schlenk was apart of a team who drafted him just makes more sense at least to me that he’s likely highly intrigued by Trae Young’s style of play.

i know I have personally defended Dennis on these boards but it took this curry like play from Trae to make me believe Schlenk is actually going trade him (Dennis) in hopes of landing Trae.

unfortunately I wouldn’t be surprised if Trae was number one on the hawks board since Schlenk is in control! It’s kinda like how i widely believe Doncic is highly likely buds favorite prospect...

my personal draft list still has Ayton as the number one guy of this whole draft class but if I’m guessing the hawks draft order in my opinion is probably Trae, Doncic, Ayton in that order.

Edited by JTB
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2018 at 5:17 PM, hawkman said:

This kid is a #1 pick. We don't really need a PG, but can we afford to pass on a potential superstar because we already have Dennis? I still think Ayton is the ideal pick for the Hawks at #1 but I wouldn't even be upset if we ended up with Trae. ATL needs this type of flash and excitement on the court. 

Trae would sell BIG TIME in Atlanta.  While I appreciate what Dennis has done here ( especially in the playoffs ), the wow factor of Trae almost can't be passed up.  Since that 39 shot game, he has played very efficient basketball.  The fact that he gets to the FT line as much as he does, is one of his biggest attributes.

The BIG QUESTION though, is will Bud give him the freedom to run the offense and keep the ball in his hands?  He does give Dennis freedom in this offense, but I don't think Bud would be cool with some of the shots Trae takes.  And he definitely won't be cool with Trae's defense.

If we draft Trae, and Bud even thinks about trying to suppress his offensive talent because of poor defense, you almost have to get rid of Bud ASAP.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, AHF said:

I'd want a thorough report from our scouts seeing what he looks like with the adjustment to NBA level defenders (struggled against Sexton some who is athletic and active but not a great defender) and transitioning from an offense that revolves around him to one where he is sharing the ball.

And honestly, that's why Bud may not be the coach for Trae.  

9 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Trae would sell BIG TIME in Atlanta.  While I appreciate what Dennis has done here ( especially in the playoffs ), the wow factor of Trae almost can't be passed up.  Since that 39 shot game, he has played very efficient basketball.  The fact that he gets to the FT line as much as he does, is one of his biggest attributes.

The BIG QUESTION though, is will Bud give him the freedom to run the offense and keep the ball in his hands?  He does give Dennis freedom in this offense, but I don't think Bud would be cool with some of the shots Trae takes.  And he definitely won't be cool with Trae's defense.

If we draft Trae, and Bud even thinks about trying to suppress his offensive talent because of poor defense, you almost have to get rid of Bud ASAP.

4 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Two very good points that I hate to admit are true that you made.

@Diesel kept posting that bud was out of here with Schlenk as the new gm and that Dennis will be traded as well .....and I repeatedly said no way not gonna happen but I have a right to change my opinion however my opinion has ONLY changed cause of the emergence of Trae. If Trae is the target which I now strongly believe he is, Schlenk will certainly trade Dennis and likely only give bud a year with Trae before dismissing him if Trae is drafted of course. 

Bud is too much like pop in a lot of ways and it’s hard to imagine him being ok with a rookie taking ridiculous ass curry 3s as you mentioned.

Its crazy how one player can come out of no where and change my long term thought process on this tank season but dammit I can’t ignore it any longer! Trae Young is a Schlenk kind of guy and I bet he’ll do whatever he can in efforts to land him.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, AHF said:

Despite the below average shooting, Trae's court vision is ridiculous.  The joke is though . . . Sexton may be a top 5 level pick as well.  One of the guys being touted as a top 5 pick, will more than likely bust ( Bamba ), and Sexton will be the guy passed over.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I really don't like offenses where the team is all about one player and everyone else is just window dressing.  If that is what it takes to unlock Trae given that this is the type of team he chose to join in college, I am a pass on him.  

It is the reason I'm not a bigger fan of Russell Westbrook, Allen Iverson, Stephon Marbury types.  The ball domination puts a cap on how good the team can be, imo.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, davis171 said:

I think Mo Bamba gets to much hate. I think he can be a better ft shooting Hassan Whiteside with good coaching. I just think his style of basketball is behind us but dude can play.

Honestly if we had a scorer already on the team I’d love to have bamba but we need a scorer! A take over guy and the best in this draft at doing that is Ayton and Trae.

i think a lot of franchises make the wrong decision trying to start out building around defense in the nba and the nba is and will always be more about the offensive side.

thats not to say defense doesn’t matter but every nba era has a group of elite unstoppable players that no matter how great the defender is they will still get their points and we need a guy like that. Just a flat out dominating scoring machine who can get his numbers on anyone.

we haven’t truly had that since nique....Johnson and Sap were easily the next best scorers we had after Nique but still in their prime they weren’t top scorers in the league.

get the scorer aka the go to guy who bud can say go get me a basket then focus on building defense around him.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, JTB said:

Honestly if we had a scorer already on the team I’d love to have bamba but we need a scorer! A take over guy and the best in this draft at doing that is Ayton and Trae.

i think a lot of franchises make the wrong decision trying to start out building around defense in the nba and the nba is and will always be more about the offensive side.

thats not to say defense doesn’t matter but every nba era has a group of elite unstoppable players that no matter how great the defender is they will still get their points and we need a guy like that. Just a flat out dominating scoring machine who can get his numbers on anyone.

we haven’t truly had that since nique....Johnson and Sap were easily the next best scorers we had after Nique but still in their prime they weren’t top scorers in the league.

get the scorer aka the go to guy who bud can say go get me a basket then focus on building defense around him.

100% agree but if we did fall to 5-7 range and he was there I wouldn't hate the pick.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2018 at 9:29 PM, davis171 said:

I think Mo Bamba gets to much hate. I think he can be a better ft shooting Hassan Whiteside with good coaching. I just think his style of basketball is behind us but dude can play.

I listened to Mo Bamba speak after the game against OKC and was impressed.  He is very humble, articulate and seems very likeable and coach able young man.

Edited by Blunt91
  • Like 2

Trae stated after Oklahoma"s lost yesterday "I'm getting guarded like nobody else in the country is being guarded, scouted on like no one else in the country is. It's a mystery coming out each and every game to try and figure out how a team is going to guard me and how I'm going to dictate how my team wins.".                                                     Yeah Trae this is your chance to shine, to show people that you have maturity and determination. If you can get back on track you would be a lock for top 2 or 3 in the draft.

Edited by Blunt91