• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Homecourt Draft Discussion

AHF

On 6/22/2018 at 8:06 AM, KB21 said:

Looking ahead to the 2019 NBA Draft, the Hawks are very likely looking at a top 3 pick from their own pick, another pick in the 6-9 range from Dallas, and depending upon whether LeBron decides to opt into his deal in Cleveland for another year, they could be looking at another late first round pick or a pick that is just outside the top 10 (protections on this pick) if LeBron bolts.  There is a very strong chance that if LeBron bolts, the Hawks will not get this pick.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/2019-nba-mock-draft-050926709.html

Of the players that are considered to be the top prospects at this time in this draft, who will be the guys that the Hawks will likely focus on this time next year?

This comment is in reference to him being the #1 overall pick, but it should frighten some that he is following in the footsteps of the two players above, neither of which proved to be worth the #1 overall pick.

This right here is what will likely keep him from being the Hawks guy.  Right now, RJ Barrett is not a very good perimeter shooter.  Travis Schlenk obviously wants players who are natural shooters, so I think you can probably go ahead and rule RJ Barrett out for the Hawks if they get the #1 overall pick, which I think is likely next year.

This is Cameron Reddish, and of the players who are considered to be the top prospects in this draft, he's by far the better shooter of the group.  He's the more natural shooter, and he is probably the guy the Hawks will take with their top 3 pick.

With that next pick, Daniel Gafford is a guy who would break from the shooting/scoring trend that Travis has shown in Atlanta to this point as he is a rim protecting, rim running big man who has some switchability potential as a defender.  He's a good fit on a team who will space the floor with shooters at the other positions.

@KB21, you had some awful posts in here but you had some real gems and you called the trade with Dallas and Trae/Kev selection on your twitter. Nice! 

On 6/21/2018 at 9:03 PM, NBASupes said:

Young got more potential than Doncic, he just gonna take time 

While I was likely wrong with this statement. I will say, Trae Young half court ability is the best I ever saw as a prospect and now in his 3rd year, is the best I've seen from a NBA player. Don't get it wrong, Luka is an ATG in the half court as well but Trae's ability to get to any spot and shoot from distance really spaces the floor and now that he can play off the ball some, you are seeing he has gravity even without being much of a movement threat like a Steph Curry. 

On 6/21/2018 at 7:18 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Technically, If we put this post-season run aside which we can't. Luka is a two time All-NBA 1st team player in his 3rd year. Trae Young wasn't an All Star or All NBA and Cam Reddish finished the year with a 0.0 WAR. I would say it would have been on par with trading Bill Russell which had to be done, STL was racist at the time and they didn't want Black players. That said, Trae was elite in the playoffs, top 4 player with KD, Giannis, and Booker. Cam had an amazing ECF performance and his talent was on full display. So Atlanta has somewhat redeemed themselves to a degree but next year, Trae has to be All-NBA, Cam has to be on the most improved list or the winner and then it will look like a win for ATL or at least a win/win on paper. 

On 6/22/2018 at 4:33 AM, thecampster said:

A basketball story - from 16 years ago.

16 years ago, I signed my boys up to play youth basketball. For most of my oldest son's life, I had coached him through baseball and my youngest son wanted me to coach him in something else.  So draft night for my youngest son's team came and I drafted an entire team of 7 and 8 year old pee wees. Nearing the end of the draft, a father from another room came into our draft room and asked to speak with me. He stated the slated coach for my oldest son's team would not be able to coach their team and he wondered if I would step in. I asked when the draft was and he said its already happened but we drafted your team for you.

So now saddled with coaching two teams, one of which I knew nothing about, I settled in to teaching my coaching philosophy.  What is that philosophy?  Only 2 things. 1) Basketball offense is best played in a 3 man game, initiated by a pass first point guard and without isolation and 2) the best teams start their defense by never letting the opposing point guard get into his set. You trap at the half-court whenever possible.

So no matter what we were doing in practice, we always included the high pick, roll, trailing slash and practiced a trapping defense.

The 8 year old team struggled with the concept and started the 9 game season 0-2. The parents nearly rioted and complained I was making things too difficult for their poor little ones.

But the 13 year old team was a mess. The team they drafted for me I only had 1 quality ball-handler besides my son and 3 kids who honestly couldn't walk and chew bubble gum. But being older, they embraced the concepts quickly. They started the season 1-1.

Week 3, my 8 year old team finally got the concept of trapping the point early and it was off to the races. We never lost another game all year. In the season finale, we handed the league champs their only loss of the season....25-2.  Yes, 25-2. The kids became so good at stopping the ball they only allowed 4 shots in the whole game.

My 13 year old team went on to finish the season 6-3 in a much more competitive league. My 3 behemoths struggled all year with moving when setting screens and one of them failed to score a basket all season.

At the end of the year mixed party (both teams partied together and even had a mixed age game where the captains had to pick a 13 year old, then an 8, etc, etc), one of the parents came up to me and asked me why I insisted on the kids playing such a different style of basketball than all the other kids their age. I answered. "Because at every level of basketball, if a team figures out you can't beat the trap or press, they'll do it all game." Then he asked, "but the screens...why did you insist they set a screen every play?". I answered, "Because at the highest level of basketball, the NBA, there is no zone. I never wanted the kids to play a zone or play 1 on 1. I wanted them to watch the NBA and fell like they did the same thing."

College and Euro basketball is a terrible measure for NBA readiness, especially at the NBA level. Because of the prevalence of the zone in college ball, a good one on one player can break down the zone quickly, cause help movement and create offense. The ball is moved around and players use motion to expose match-ups and then use that match-up to break down the D. But in the NBA, most 1/2 court offense begins with a ball screen. Because the big can't camp in the lane, an effective screen causes a path to the lane and the 3 man game begins (see the Triangle). I've spent the last few years tearing my hair out watching Dennis mistime screens, miss open cutters and drive with his eyes focused only on the rim and defender. Maybe he just needed a different pee wee coach. I'm willing to admit I could be wrong about Trae Young, but I turned off more Hawks games last year than I can count. I couldn't take it anymore. I wanted a real point guard.

@NBASupes reviewed the 2018 Draft thread and tossed me a like for this post, reminding me it was there.  A story I'm still proud of and thought I'd re-share.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

What's crazy is @KB21 wasn't exactly wrong so far with Bagley III. He's been closer to right. Same for me. JJJ finished the RS with a 0.4 WAR and Marvin with a 0.2 WAR. Both players haven't really shown to be impactful players at all. At least with JJJ, he does what you need modern bigs to do but he's a poor man's Myles Turner right now. Both players awareness is a lot lower than people projected. Both could still be good players, heck, Bagley could end of very good but Bags could be out the league in 5 years and JJJ as a backup big man. 

Bagley 2023 is going to be a borderline allstar. That kids body was so far behind when he came in. Great athlete but zero man strength. I'll give him 2 seasons before I officially call bust. If the Kings called us for 20 and the OKC pick + Bruno....done! I wouldn't even think twice. Some guys just take longer. Bagley will be just fine.

The bar was set pretty high with Luka/Trae/Ayton being good to great. That's not the typical rookie path. Marvin Williams was 6 years before he was truly serviceable.  People forget that it took Chris Paul a few years to go from good point guard to great (1st 2 seasons 16.7 ppg, 8.3 apg. Season 3 - 21.1/11.6). He came in at 21...Bagley at 19. 

Not kidding though, I'd trade two picks and Bruno without a conscience for Bagley. Give him a smidge more time.

Same thing with JJJ. The thought of him catching lobs from Trae is setting cucumbers behind cats level of entertaining.

8 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Bagley 2023 is going to be a borderline allstar. That kids body was so far behind when he came in. Great athlete but zero man strength. I'll give him 2 seasons before I officially call bust. If the Kings called us for 20 and the OKC pick + Bruno....done! I wouldn't even think twice. Some guys just take longer. Bagley will be just fine.

The bar was set pretty high with Luka/Trae/Ayton being good to great. That's not the typical rookie path. Marvin Williams was 6 years before he was truly serviceable.  People forget that it took Chris Paul a few years to go from good point guard to great (1st 2 seasons 16.7 ppg, 8.3 apg. Season 3 - 21.1/11.6). He came in at 21...Bagley at 19. 

Not kidding though, I'd trade two picks and Bruno without a conscience for Bagley. Give him a smidge more time.

Same thing with JJJ. The thought of him catching lobs from Trae is setting cucumbers behind cats level of entertaining.

I less optimistic about both players at this time but Marvin really needs a change of scenery. He's in that O.J. Mayo/Tim Hardaway Jr situation. He needs someone to save him. 

• 9 months later...