• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

On 11/1/2017 at 2:18 PM, AHF said:

None.  The only franchise player we ever drafted in Atlanta was traded out of town and has returned here and put down roots with the team that drafted him.  Al Horford was never close to a franchise player.  Al was no MJ.  He was no Pippen.  Al was Horace Grant.

What?  Al is greater than Karl Malone!!  You so crazy.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Wretch said:

I've been beating this drum for a long time...  Since 1997 and honestly, I'm done with trying to argue semantics and whatnot.  Dallas doesn't count because they didn't draft Dirk.  Jordan doesn't count either because there was no lottery back then.  What kind of Mother Goose playground silliness is this?  Is it so hard to understand that we need this talent?  We know for sure what middling around does.  We've done that.  This will be the 2nd time we've tried to build through the draft.  Technically, it'll be our first legitimate attempt.  I don't count 2004/2005 since Billy Knight screwed us with his failed "mad scientist" agenda.

So yeah, I'm going to just sit back and embrace the rebuild now.  Yes, even if it takes more than 5 years.

That man has been trolling his ass off since I proved right about the Hawks direction. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MaceCase said:

So conspiracy theories and utter falsehoods then? 8 franchises have won over the past 30 years but there have been 19 different participants in the Finals, and 26 different teams in the Conference Finals.  There are only 30 teams in the NBA.  Even the Atlanta Hawks managed to enter that conversation once.  What does all that information mean?  Absolutely nothing.  100% of those teams had players drafted in the top 14 amongst their leaders, so how does a team go about acquiring said player then?

Ya'll have legit conversations with a one-star poster is beyond me. Ya'll know Diesel like to be a contrarian to be contrarian. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AHF said:

The Astros tanked shamelessly but nothing good can come of that.  Which means winning championships is not good.  Suddenly it all makes so much more sense.

Baseball is a different sport with an actual developmental league called the minor leagues, and in baseball, I'm perfectly fine with devoting all your resources to player development because you have a true minor league system.  That's what Bobby Cox did in 1985 when he was the Braves GM.  He basically sold Ted Turner on the idea of devoting more resources to scouting and player development, and that devotion lead to players like Tom Glavine, John Smoltz, Ron Gant, David Justice, Mark Lemke, Steve Avery, Chipper Jones, Javy Lopez.....etc. 

In basketball, there is no developmental system in place, and on the D League as currently set up is not a true developmental league that can acts as a minor league for the NBA.  If it were, then I'd have no issue with spending resources on underdeveloped talent if I could stash them in the D-League and not start the contractual clocks till they were completely developed from a mental and physical standpoint. 

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 7:33 PM, Thomas said:

Guess its good there is an official tank thread now but just the same we are where we are. No question of "if". That part is done...

Exactly Thomas...anybody can call it what they wish..."strategic rebuild to attain higher draft picks for the future of the franchise while developing young talent"  -  or  - "tanking".  Bottom line our win total will likely be in the 20's or low 30's at best.

• Like 1

You keep saying pro tank. I am not necessarily pro tank as much as I am pro Superstar. We couldn't get one in free agency, ever. So why not try to draft one? Sure, maybe you get it wrong, but I'm on board with the attempt. If you couldn't get one the other way, try a different way. 

You know the whole insanity is repeating the same thing over and over, and expecting different results thing. (Which actually isn't an Einstein quote)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, noble said:

You keep saying pro tank. I am not necessarily pro tank as much as I am pro Superstar. We couldn't get one in free agency, ever. So why not try to draft one? Sure, maybe you get it wrong, but I'm on board with the attempt. If you couldn't get one the other way, try a different way. 

You know the whole insanity is repeating the same thing over and over, and expecting different results thing. (Which actually isn't an Einstein quote)

Exactly!  So why are we tanking when it has proven to not work?

Just now, KB21 said:

Exactly!  So why are we tanking when it has proven to not work?

It has worked, just usually not as quickly as you would like. Tank, rebuild, gather assets, injuries, whatever you want to call it, getting a Superstar early in the draft helps teams. Plain and simple you have to have an All-NBA caliber player to be a championship team. How do you get one? Free agency or draft. It has been clear we have never been able to get one in free agency, which leads us down the draft path. Usually more Superstars are found at the top of the draft, that is just statistics, not an absolute, statistically you have a higher chance.

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:12 AM, MaceCase said:

The important part you missed is that franchise level talent was available at most of those picks which proves AHF's point.  Because the Hawks passed on selecting the better players does not disprove that franchise level talent exists in the lottery. 

Exactly Mace...and I deleted the other portion of your post because I don't want to get involved in an argument that was none of my doing...but...

YES!  Of course the top level talent in the draft is available to the team(s) with the top pick(s).  It simply comes down to talent evaluation.  BK actually got the first part right but he was a mess on the second part (talent evaluation).

When David (the Admiral) Robinson went down to an injury and San Antonio got a top pick in the draft they could certainly have screwed that up by thinking something like "let's take a mid-sized shooter" to compliment D.R. when he gets back to health - but they didn't - they were smart and took Duncan - semi-twin-towers - and they won Championships and were contenders for many years. 

Everybody thinks that the world fell into the Spurs' lap but it really didn't - sure they got a big opportunity but they had to make proper choices and they evaluated talent and made the best choice.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, KB21 said:

That game will be a first hand view of what you pro tankers want to become.

You realize that the Kings are the close to the opposite of Philly's strategy right?  They have given up future draft assets trying to win today for years.  They go out and sign George Hill, Zbo, etc.  They are just incompetent.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AHF said:

We just hired a GM from a place that made it work just fine.  Two rings and counting.

........after multiple attempts at "rebuilding".  Remember, they had 1 playoff appearance between 1994 and 2014.  So, if the route you want to go is 20 years of winter like GS went through, then they have chosen the correct path.  I'm just glad Travis won't be around when his rebuild has to be rebuilt.