2018 Free Agency, July 1st....let the games begin

JayBirdHawk

5 hours ago, JTB said:

I know schlenk said we aren’t going to do much in free agency but geeezzz can we move this along a little quicker!

goodness!...the fire in free agency is over with. The remaining players some are good some are just ok...make a decision schlenk so we can just move along to the next phase.

Kinda disappointed with so many players taking 1 year show me deals,  we didn't sign some young high upside players. Hezonja and Noel should have been target's. They both fit our timeline age wise, and have tremendous upside left. I don't think you will find anyone outside of the top 7 next year that will have more upside than these two,  and we had cap space.  Both only signed for one year small deals. Even if you had to overpay one year it would have been worth it to kick the tires. I think Schlenk was determined to not spend the first week,  and I understand that in principle. However,  once talents like Hezonja and Noel started settling for 1 year show me deals you have to adjust. I wonder if he just got dug in because he said he wouldn't do anything early in free agency on all the radio shows? I certainly hope not because if he did he should shut up in these interviews. Things change and you have to adjust don't speak in absolutes. He should have said we don't plan to do anything early in free agency,  but if the right deal comes will make it happen. Why paint yourself in a corner? 

My one criticism of Schlenk so far is he tends to get dug in on his decisions. You can see the DNA on this in every trade he's made which is why other teams are getting the better of him deals. I worked with a guy that would always say "If you want it bad you'll get it bad" you have to be willing to walk away when deals isn't what you want. Even if you want player x gone or desire y player. 

Think that Schlenk is fine with other teams handing out one year deals, probably delighted. He can watch those players develop or not for free and then make his decision on whether to go after them or not after another year of landing first rounders on our roster. We know he is certainly not obsessed with wins this next season.

• Like 4

Not sure y'all are 'getting it'.

I'm no Slink fan, but he said we're all-in on this tank-build.  That means we will not be signing free agents, certainly not high-dollar ones.  Signing a guy like Hezonja (if he works out) or Noel (if he plays) helps us win (to a degree).  Right now, we. do. not. want. to. win.  It's that simple.

Now, I'm not saying I agree necessarily but that's where we are right now.  No need to be confused or frustrated.

I should also add that I don't trust Slink so, despite all his comments against signing guys, it wouldn't surprise me to see him sign a guy like Lavine or Parker out of the blue - thus, totally torpedoing the tank-build.

• Like 4

Personally I would be surprised at a talented FA signing, Thinking Schlenk will pursue trading for draft picks for another year and just fill out the roster with whoever. His own drafting is definitely his favorite flavor.

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Not sure y'all are 'getting it'.

I'm no Slink fan, but he said we're all-in on this tank-build.  That means we will not be signing free agents, certainly not high-dollar ones.  Signing a guy like Hezonja (if he works out) or Noel (if he plays) helps us win (to a degree).  Right now, we. do. not. want. to. win.  It's that simple.

Now, I'm not saying I agree necessarily but that's where we are right now.  No need to be confused or frustrated.

I should also add that I don't trust Slink so, despite all his comments against signing guys, it wouldn't surprise me to see him sign a guy like Lavine or Parker out of the blue - thus, totally torpedoing the tank-build.

I totally get it, but the point of tanking is to acquire talent. We had talent available that is both young and has upside and cap space. I'm not asking him to sign 34 year old journey men. That would be not getting it. Next years draft is supposed to be very weak according to the experts,  so I would have to think guys like Noel and Hezonja would go pretty high in that class. Honestly what does Clint Capella do that Nerlen Noel can't? A guy like that just signed for a mid level exception. I would gladly pay him 7m for 1 year to come in here and see how he fits with my team and culture. You can't see that with these guys playing for other teams. 

1 hour ago, ATLien_ said:

I totally get it, but the point of tanking is to acquire talent. We had talent available that is both young and has upside and cap space. I'm not asking him to sign 34 year old journey men. That would be not getting it. Next years draft is supposed to be very weak according to the experts,  so I would have to think guys like Noel and Hezonja would go pretty high in that class. Honestly what does Clint Capella do that Nerlen Noel can't? A guy like that just signed for a mid level exception. I would gladly pay him 7m for 1 year to come in here and see how he fits with my team and culture. You can't see that with these guys playing for other teams. 

I think we agree conceptually.  Where we disagree is on the players in question, basically.

Noel is on the no-go list for me based on the rumors of his lack of want-to and the apparent (alleged) issues in his 'camp'.  Rumors are he's just a bad guy, has poor direction in those he trusts.  Just not a guy I'd want around.  On top of that he's a limited player.  What does Capela do that Noel can't?  He can be a professional.

Hezonja had a really good month and a half stretch .... following a 4-year stretch of ineptitude.  Which do you choose to believe?  I choose to believe the 4 years over the 2 months.

So yeah, I think we actually have the same overall thought process.  If a guy like Beasley or Ferguson was out there, I'd say give them a shot. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I think we agree conceptually.  Where we disagree is on the players in question, basically.

Noel is on the no-go list for me based on the rumors of his lack of want-to and the apparent (alleged) issues in his 'camp'.  Rumors are he's just a bad guy, has poor direction in those he trusts.  Just not a guy I'd want around.  On top of that he's a limited player.  What does Capela do that Noel can't?  He can be a professional.

Hezonja had a really good month and a half stretch .... following a 4-year stretch of ineptitude.  Which do you choose to believe?  I choose to believe the 4 years over the 2 months.

So yeah, I think we actually have the same overall thought process.  If a guy like Beasley or Ferguson was out there, I'd say give them a shot. 

This is why culture matters so much.  Had the Hawks gotten someone like Michael Beasley back in 2013 when Bud first came on board, there is a great chance that he is a much better player now than he currently is.  The development and being put into the culture that Bud brought with him from the Spurs would have gotten it out of Beasley.  I'd be all for taking former failed lottery picks onto this team if we still had Bud around and the team was still winning.  As it is, this team isn't going to maximize anything out of a former failed lottery pick because winning is not their goal.

11 minutes ago, KB21 said:

This is why culture matters so much.  Had the Hawks gotten someone like Michael Beasley back in 2013 when Bud first came on board, there is a great chance that he is a much better player now than he currently is.  The development and being put into the culture that Bud brought with him from the Spurs would have gotten it out of Beasley.  I'd be all for taking former failed lottery picks onto this team if we still had Bud around and the team was still winning.  As it is, this team isn't going to maximize anything out of a former failed lottery pick because winning is not their goal.

Pick another example.  Dude thinks the only way we know we use 10% of our brain is because some other dude could use 11%. 

4 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

That entire interview is pure gold.  And Taylor is a goddess.  As smart as she is, he even had her baffled at times.

I would type more but you posted a vid of Taylor and I can't type one-handed.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kerrypack said:

schlenk wants to save money to pay the incredible players he is drafting.

No..he’s just used to saving money...like his mama did... (this carries a lot of meaning but not direct enough that mods can have an issue with it).

:biggrin:

• Like 1

I think Zaza Pachulia would be a nice signing for this team. Let him teach John Collins some goofiness, maybe give him the one inch he has left on his own vertical, and let Zaza retire a Hawk. 8-17 minutes a game (besides game #82 in which Zaza should play all 48) on a 15-year vet minimum contract is just what this team needs. Probably accidentally wins 2 games, but then fumbles 3 away--voila!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Colin said:

I think Zaza Pachulia would be a nice signing for this team. Let him teach John Collins some goofiness, maybe give him the one inch he has left on his own vertical, and let Zaza retire a Hawk. 8-17 minutes a game (besides game #82 in which Zaza should play all 48) on a 15-year vet minimum contract is just what this team needs. Probably accidentally wins 2 games, but then fumbles 3 away--voila!

F that Zara is dead to me. Let him retire a bitchass warrior.

Zaza too lol

Just now, Spud2nique said:

F that Zara is dead to me. Let him retire a bitchass warrior.

Probably how it will happen; not sure any team in the league can (1.) stand him, and (2.) need him for anything.

I wouldn't mind if the Hawks brought in someone like Montrezl Harrell as another big. I want at least one real bruiser on the team.

49 minutes ago, Colin said:

I'd rather have Zaza than Plumlee, that's for sure.

• Like 1