Official Bets Thread

AHF

• Moderators

Added the latest and greatest bet between @JayBirdHawk and @hazer .  Jay wins if someone other than Cooper is the Hawks #2 point guard by the break.  hazer wins if he is the #2 point guard at the break.

Since we've talked about the injury angle I do have to point out one absurd scenario that could let Jay win by backing into it.  Imagine if Cooper won the #2 spot fairly early in the season and became the best PG off the bench but then Trae went down with a minor injury that kept him out for the last week's worth of games before the break and hazer lost the bet because Trae was no longer the #2 PG but was now the #1 guy.  Could also work out where Coop wins the #2 job but then gets injured so someone else is subbing in as the #2 guy at the break.  And of course, there are all the scenarios where Cooper can't beat out any of the 3 guards ahead of him but sees two of them get hurt and backs his way into hazer victory.  Injuries could swing this thing either way.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/20/2021 at 5:29 PM, AHF said:

Added the latest and greatest bet between @JayBirdHawk and @hazer .  Jay wins if someone other than Cooper is the Hawks #2 point guard by the break.  hazer wins if he is the #2 point guard at the break.

Since we've talked about the injury angle I do have to point out one absurd scenario that could let Jay win by backing into it.  Imagine if Cooper won the #2 spot fairly early in the season and became the best PG off the bench but then Trae went down with a minor injury that kept him out for the last week's worth of games before the break and hazer lost the bet because Trae was no longer the #2 PG but was now the #1 guy.  Could also work out where Coop wins the #2 job but then gets injured so someone else is subbing in as the #2 guy at the break.  And of course, there are all the scenarios where Cooper can't beat out any of the 3 guards ahead of him but sees two of them get hurt and backs his way into hazer victory.  Injuries could swing this thing either way.

Actually, the bet is Coop will take over the #2 PG spot (surpassing Lou and Delon) BY the break, not “at”. Saying he’ll earn that spot no later than the ASG. Which covers any time between G1 and the ASG. 

54 minutes ago, hazer said:

Actually, the bet is Coop will take over the #2 PG spot (surpassing Lou and Delon) BY the break, not “at”. Saying he’ll earn that spot no later than the ASG. Which covers any time between G1 and the ASG. 

image.gif.3a8e7fb3e291270711a3586e3fa1fbbb.gif

• Haha 1

• Moderators
15 hours ago, hazer said:

I need @JayBirdHawk to confirm this.  This is very vague to me and opens the possibility that Delon gets benched for a week 20 games in and then takes back over for the rest of the year and you win this bet under this description.  

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, AHF said:

I need @JayBirdHawk to confirm this.  This is very vague to me and opens the possibility that Delon gets benched for a week 20 games in and then takes back over for the rest of the year and you win this bet under this description.  

Cooper has to take over by beating out Delon and Lou and remain the permanent #2 backup PG behind Trae.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Cooper has to take over by beating out Delon and Lou and remain the permanent #2 backup PG behind Trae.

4 hours ago, AHF said:

Is that your view as well, @hazer?

Absolutely.

But the twists you throw in there (actually ascending to #1 due to a Trae injury or no longer being #2 due to his own injury) don’t come into play. The heart and essence of the bet: Coop beats out Lou and Delon as Trae’s primary backup BY (or before) the break. On merit, not by Lou and Delon both going down to injury and landing it by default. Coop then losing primary backup status, by injury, after achieving it won’t negate the fact that he achieved it by being better than them.

My entire point from the start is that Coop is better than Lou and Delon, thus will leapfrog them as Trae’s primary backup. And this will happen no later than Wednesday February 16th 👏 

• Like 1

• Moderators
18 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

12 hours ago, hazer said:

Absolutely.

But the twists you throw in there (actually ascending to #1 due to a Trae injury or no longer being #2 due to his own injury) don’t come into play. The heart and essence of the bet: Coop beats out Lou and Delon as Trae’s primary backup BY (or before) the break. On merit, not by Lou and Delon both going down to injury and landing it by default. Coop then losing primary backup status, by injury, after achieving it won’t negate the fact that he achieved it by being better than them.

My entire point from the start is that Coop is better than Lou and Delon, thus will leapfrog them as Trae’s primary backup. And this will happen no later than Wednesday February 16th 👏 

Does this new summary look right to both of you?

Jaybird / hazer - Will Cooper beat out the other guards on the team to 'permanently' become the Hawks' new #2 point guard no later than by Wednesday, February 16, 2022?  In order to win, once Cooper beats the others out he must hold that role for the rest of the year with that being defined by removing injury factors (and so his getting injured after beating out Delon, et al wouldn't negate it just as he couldn't achieve it by Delon getting hurt, etc.).

@hazer

@JayBirdHawk

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, AHF said:

Jaybird / hazer - Will Cooper beat out the other guards on the team to 'permanently' become the Hawks' new #2 point guard no later than by Wednesday, February 16, 2022?  In order to win, once Cooper beats the others out he must hold that role for the rest of the year with that being defined by removing injury factors (and so his getting injured after beating out Delon, et al wouldn't negate it just as he couldn't achieve it by Delon getting hurt, etc.).

@hazer

@JayBirdHawk

I know this isn’t my bet but I’m excited nonetheless! 

image.gif.4e8573794e639a2a381ec460d85e9695.gif

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, AHF said:

@hazer

@JayBirdHawk

Here’s the rub though: the “permanent” part of the bet lasts only until the break, as that’s when the bet is over. The avatar duration is ASG thru end of regular season. I suppose I can agree if Coop loses the spot after the ASG (on merit), Bird could then drop the wonderful avatar I’ve chosen for her and she’s suffered through up until that point 😬

• Haha 2

• Moderators
54 minutes ago, hazer said:

Here’s the rub though: the “permanent” part of the bet lasts only until the break, as that’s when the bet is over. The avatar duration is ASG thru end of regular season. I suppose I can agree if Coop loses the spot after the ASG (on merit), Bird could then drop the wonderful avatar I’ve chosen for her and she’s suffered through up until that point 😬

Whether Coop holding the job the rest of the way or for some minimum period of time is part of the deal or not is up to you guys.  I think the key issues right now are identifying when he has won the job over the alternatives and whether he has to remain in that role for a certain period of time or beyond any point.  These are somewhat linked because if the idea is he can win it at a moment in time and the bet is then over even if he later loses it then it becomes much harder to define when he has won it whereas if he has to grab it and hold it the rest of the season then the bet is measured at the end of the year and nobody should be arguing about it then. 

When he wins it examples if he doesn't have to hold it the rest of the way:  How many games playing ahead of Lou and Delon does it take to "win" the job?  Does playing as the #2 mean getting more minutes or coming of the bench first or both or something else?  Etc. 

Whether he holds it:  Presumably, if he has "lost" the #2 spot by the break then it would be a Jay win from the above but what happens if he loses it a week after the AS break?  Or 3 weeks later, etc.  That is what you guys should hash out, imo.

remain the permanent #2 backup PG behind Trae

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, hazer said:

Wait, what? He's either the #2 backup for the season or he isn't. The avatar bet should occur after the season. 

Let's simplify it....if he's the #2 backup for 42 games you win if not I win.

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Wait, what? He's either the #2 backup for the season or he isn't. The avatar bet should occur after the season. 

Let's simplify it....if he's the #2 backup for 42 games you win if not I win.

When you originally asked me how long would you have to use the avatar I said ASG to end of season, since my claim was that he’ll nab the spot by the break.  But we can change that to end of regular season thru beginning of next season for the avatar if you’d like.

Hawks play 60 games up to the break, 22 after the break. My contention was that Coop would earn #2 PG no later than the break. So if he wins it last game before ASG, then holds it thru last game of season, he would’ve only been #2 PG for 23 games. In your “42 games” scenario I would lose the bet even though Coop would’ve achieved the essence of my bet. 

So let’s just do this: Coop earns #2 PG no later than ASG and holds onto it until end of season, like AHF suggested, is the bet. I bet he does, you bet he doesn’t. Injuries either promoting or demoting his position nullify  the bet. If he becomes #2 PG at least by the break and holds it until end of season, I win. If he doesn’t by then, you win. If he does by then and loses it after such time, whether by injury or otherwise, it’s a push. Deal? 😁

Edited by hazer
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, hazer said:

So let’s just do this: Coop earns #2 PG no later than ASG and holds onto it until end of season, like AHF suggested, is the bet. I bet he does, you bet he doesn’t. Injuries either promoting or demoting his position nullify  the bet. If he becomes #2 PG at least by the break and holds it until end of season, I win. If he doesn’t by then, you win. If he does by then and loses it after such time, whether by injury or otherwise, it’s a push. Deal? 😁

DEAL!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 10/10/2021 at 12:56 AM, hazer said:

6 games to go...I think it's safe to say 'I win'

• 1 month later...

Safe to say this lesson learned: Nate is the least rookie-playing coach in the league 😑

• Haha 1