• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Summer League Roster / Schedule Released - All Things Summer League!

NBASupes

Not sure if y'all have discussed it but there was a tremendous interview with CLP on NBARadio yesterday afternoon.  It was from summer league so they discussed a couple things in addition to Rayford.  It was followed up by an interview with Fran Fraschilla who also had some thoughts on Rayf.

The interview was conducted by a host and Eddie Johnson who's son had apparently been recruited by CLP back in the day.  Long story short, it was apparent they had a good relationship.  "Get my man Lloyd up in here."  He said.

Synopsis:

Salient points from CLP:
- What's the style gonna be in ATL

Put young guys in position to succeed early.  Need to defend, be efficient, understand pacing and movement.  Be able to outwork teams.

- On Trae's struggles.

Depends on how you look at it.  Shots not falling, that'll improve.  We look at shot creation and, to me, he's been tremendous at that.  Only had 3, 7 and whatever number of assists in Salt Lake but not for lack of clean passes/facilitating.  With Prince, Huerter, etc. out there you'll see him have double-digit assists.  Not worried about shooting.  That'll come.

- On playing fast, do players understand how hard that's gonna be on them?  Do they understand what "playing fast" really means for them (work wise)?

They all wanna run 'in theory' (ha, hah, heh) then the work starts ...  "Pacing" refers to how we practice, not necessarily getting up/down the court fast.  We give guys 0.5 seconds to make a decision.  Everything we do is done with quick decision making in mind.  That's what we mean by "pace".  We'll see when we work with pace (i.e. high-level decision making), we'll see that we're always in the right spot, facilitating success.

- Is there a team you try to emulate?

Big fan of Spoelstra.  You don't think of them as a "fast pace" team but that's not true.  In the half court, they actually are a very fast-paced team.  Everything they do is done with pace ... but in the half court.

- Impressions of John Collins

Always positive, walks with a bounce.  Saw his highlights and was amazed since he hadn't seen him play much.  Unbelievable athlete, can shoot 3.  As excited about him as the other rookies.

- Another guy we like because of the fire he showed in playoffs is Dennis, where does he fit in the mix?

Oh, I just txted Dennis.  He's over in Africa with his workout coaches, shooting coach, etc.  Vowed to come back stronger/better.  Adding he and Young, the concern is having 2 small guys .. I look at 'how are you gonna guard them'?  Any time you have high IQ guys who can facilitate for others, you'll be tough to deal with.

- And does he want to be there ...

Yeah, there's been some stuff out there .. only thing I can control is what he and I talk about.  He knows he's a Hawk right now and he knows we drafted a point guard and he knows 'from my voice' that they're gonna play together.  We have to be patient with Young so he (Dennis) has got to grow up (yes, he said that) and show that he can be a mentor to a young guy and show the next step in his development (I presume he meant as a leader?).  I'm excited for the opportunity and I think he can help Young.

- Atlanta sports scene overall appears to be changing for the better ...

My goal hasn't been to convince (people to be Hawks fans), it's been to learn the scene.  See what's here.  Been to soccer games, Dream games, etc.  Hope we can capitalize on the excitement from the other teams.

- Last thing on Trae, comparison to Curry.  You said you want the team to play like MIA, is there a player you want Young to pattern his game after?

Worked with Steph, played with Nash, coached Conley ... has abilities like Steve but I compare him to Mike (Conley).  Left/right-hand floaters, gets into lane as a small guy.  Slower set shot.  If he can end up as a 'Mike Conley' type, we've hit a home run.  People are looking for the 'splash' of Steph but I think you get a HR with a guy like Conley with vision, being able to facilitate.  Cerebral, control pace of game, etc.  Stole this comp from Fran Fraschila

I'm posting a synopsis of Fran's interview next.

• Like 4

Right after the CLP sit-down, Fran Fraschila was next and he discussed Young a bit.  Some of his comments were a little controversial IMHO but I agree with them.

Synopsis:

- Just talked to CLP and got to the Young/Conley comp he "stole" from you?

Yeah, having watched Young 15 or so times, the biggest concern is people trying to get him to think he’s Curry.  Instead of coming in hitting singles/doubles, they want him hitting grand slams.  ‘Just be Mike Conley’.  Mike hits his open shots, just run the team, keep it simple, find the open man, hit the open shot.  "Don’t try to put on a show".

- Is that hard for Young as it's clear he’s tried to duplicate Curry.  "It’s obvious".  You said he should  "just be Conley".  Is that gonna be hard for him?

Yes.  In HS he averaged over 40 pts/game, in college he avg’d almost 30.  And I always felt there were ‘style points’ involved in the way he played and that concerned me.  But CLP might be the right guy for him (since he coached both Curry and Conley).  As an example, I saw him sit next to Trae during a game to offer guidance.  – He (Fran) was big on that being a good sign.

- How about Collins, good play

I call guys like him (2nd year guys play SL) 'playground bullies' .  They should be playing well.  Should be dominating.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
59 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Not sure if y'all have discussed it but there was a tremendous interview with CLP on NBARadio yesterday afternoon.  It was from summer league so they discussed a couple things in addition to Rayford.  It was followed up by an interview with Fran Fraschilla who also had some thoughts on Rayf.

The interview was conducted by a host and Eddie Johnson who's son had apparently been recruited by CLP back in the day.  Long story short, it was apparent they had a good relationship.  "Get my man Lloyd up in here."  He said.

Synopsis:

Salient points from CLP:
- What's the style gonna be in ATL

Put young guys in position to succeed early.  Need to defend, be efficient, understand pacing and movement.  Be able to outwork teams.

- On Trae's struggles.

Depends on how you look at it.  Shots not falling, that'll improve.  We look at shot creation and, to me, he's been tremendous at that.  Only had 3, 7 and whatever number of assists in Salt Lake but not for lack of clean passes/facilitating.  With Prince, Huerter, etc. out there you'll see him have double-digit assists.  Not worried about shooting.  That'll come.

- On playing fast, do players understand how hard that's gonna be on them?  Do they understand what "playing fast" really means for them (work wise)?

They all wanna run 'in theory' (ha, hah, heh) then the work starts ...  "Pacing" refers to how we practice, not necessarily getting up/down the court fast.  We give guys 0.5 seconds to make a decision.  Everything we do is done with quick decision making in mind.  That's what we mean by "pace".  We'll see when we work with pace (i.e. high-level decision making), we'll see that we're always in the right spot, facilitating success.

- Is there a team you try to emulate?

Big fan of Spoelstra.  You don't think of them as a "fast pace" team but that's not true.  In the half court, they actually are a very fast-paced team.  Everything they do is done with pace ... but in the half court.

- Impressions of John Collins

Always positive, walks with a bounce.  Saw his highlights and was amazed since he hadn't seen him play much.  Unbelievable athlete, can shoot 3.  As excited about him as the other rookies.

- Another guy we like because of the fire he showed in playoffs is Dennis, where does he fit in the mix?

Oh, I just txted Dennis.  He's over in Africa with his workout coaches, shooting coach, etc.  Vowed to come back stronger/better.  Adding he and Young, the concern is having 2 small guys .. I look at 'how are you gonna guard them'?  Any time you have high IQ guys who can facilitate for others, you'll be tough to deal with.

Yeah, there's been some stuff out there .. only thing I can control is what he and I talk about.  He knows he's a Hawk right now and he knows we drafted a point guard and he knows 'from my voice' that they're gonna play together.  We have to be patient with Young so he (Dennis) has got to grow up (yes, he said that) and show that he can be a mentor to a young guy and show the next step in his development (I presume he meant as a leader?).  I'm excited for the opportunity and I think he can help Young.

- Atlanta sports scene overall appears to be changing for the better ...

My goal hasn't been to convince (people to be Hawks fans), it's been to learn the scene.  See what's here.  Been to soccer games, Dream games, etc.  Hope we can capitalize on the excitement from the other teams.

- Last thing on Trae, comparison to Curry.  You said you want the team to play like MIA, is there a player you want Young to pattern his game after?

Worked with Steph, played with Nash, coached Conley ... has abilities like Steve but I compare him to Mike (Conley).  Left/right-hand floaters, gets into lane as a small guy.  Slower set shot.  If he can end up as a 'Mike Conley' type, we've hit a home run.  People are looking for the 'splash' of Steph but I think you get a HR with a guy like Conley with vision, being able to facilitate.  Cerebral, control pace of game, etc.  Stole this comp from Fran Fraschila

I'm posting a synopsis of Fran's interview next.

55 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Right after the CLP sit-down, Fran Fraschila was next and he discussed Young a bit.  Some of his comments were a little controversial IMHO but I agree with them.

Synopsis:

- Just talked to CLP and got to the Young/Conley comp he "stole" from you?

Yeah, having watched Young 15 or so times, the biggest concern is people trying to get him to think he’s Curry.  Instead of coming in hitting singles/doubles, they want him hitting grand slams.  ‘Just be Mike Conley’.  Mike hits his open shots, just run the team, keep it simple, find the open man, hit the open shot.  "Don’t try to put on a show".

- Is that hard for Young as it's clear he’s tried to duplicate Curry.  "It’s obvious".  You said he should  "just be Conley".  Is that gonna be hard for him?

Yes.  In HS he averaged over 40 pts/game, in college he avg’d almost 30.  And I always felt there were ‘style points’ involved in the way he played and that concerned me.  But CLP might be the right guy for him (since he coached both Curry and Conley).  As an example, I saw him sit next to Trae during a game to offer guidance.  – He (Fran) was big on that being a good sign.

- How about Collins, good play

I call guys like him (2nd year guys play SL) 'playground bullies' .  They should be playing well.  Should be dominating.

Good stuff.

21 minutes ago, kg01 said:

The things that surprised me were:

we want to play like MIA
we want Rayf to play like Conley
Fran's candid comments

Good stuff kg! I’d actually heard the Fran Conley comparison. It’s not bad for sure. No offense to Conley and I hope I’m not getting ahead of myself but Trae is light years ahead of where Conley was when he started. Conley couldn’t shoot the ball for a few years and that’s tough when you are the point guard of the team.

Who was the first interview? CLA? 

3 hours ago, DS17Fanboy said:

like?

ok collins is already quite good. we will see if he is on a level comparable to dennis this year, but the rest is lightyears away.

Collins? Or Trae? I’m lose but love ur new avatar!

9 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Good stuff kg! I’d actually heard the Fran Conley comparison. It’s not bad for sure. No offense to Conley and I hope I’m not getting ahead of myself but Trae is light years ahead of where Conley was when he started. Conley couldn’t shoot the ball for a few years and that’s tough when you are the point guard of the team.

as far as college yes. I'm a PG guy and I was huge fan of Conley coming out, I wanted him over Horford (But since that didn't happen everyone knows I was a huge Acie fan, and 2 years later Jeff as well). Conley couldn't hit a jumper to save his life at Ohio State, but he didn't really seem to have the same struggles when he got to the league. He's been a solid 3 pt shooter his entire career for the most part

11 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

CLP - Coach Lloyd Pierce

Sounded really impressive.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cwell said:

as far as college yes. I'm a PG guy and I was huge fan of Conley coming out, I wanted him over Horford (But since that didn't happen everyone knows I was a huge Acie fan, and 2 years later Jeff as well). Conley couldn't hit a jumper to save his life at Ohio State, but he didn't really seem to have the same struggles when he got to the league. He's been a solid 3 pt shooter his entire career for the most part

I had to check the stats to double check your work but yes he only seemed to struggle in his rookie year. I still remember him shooting it with no confidence though for first few years. Luckily Trae doesn’t have shooting woes at all.

I wanted Conley as well over Al until Conley said he didn’t want the Hawks to draft him. Them I’m like F that guy let’s just take Alicia!

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

The things that surprised me were:

we want to play like MIA
we want Rayf to play like Conley
Fran's candid comments

I think Conley is an excellent PG but Young will never play Conley. He has the risk taking abilities of Smoove. Conley is one of the most patience players I've watched for someone with his usage. He plays the game fast but thinks it even faster.

15 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I think Conley is an excellent PG but Young will never play Conley. He has the risk taking abilities of Smoove. Conley is one of the most patience players I've watched for someone with his usage. He plays the game fast but thinks it even faster.

I think that's where player development comes into play.  Considering his apparent ability to see the floor/see the game (to the extent that we can see that at this point), it's not inconceivable to think that he could develop the ability to 'think the game' on a really high level.  That's my take-away in the whole "play like Conley" thing.

15 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Holy GEEZ. Is this for the Ed Davis reminder or the lumpia thing?

I think we all know the answer is 'yes'. :happy:

• Like 1

• Moderators

Conley does seem like a bit of strange comp.  Conley has been rock solid but unspectacular at everything - running the offense, scoring, playing defense, etc.  Never pushes outside of his comfort zone.  I am willing to be that Trae has taken more (non-quarter ending) 30+ foot shots this summer than Conley has for his career.

I do like Conley as a role model for Trae to study, though.  Moving more towards Conley's approach to things married with Trae's skillset seems like a real positive for us.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, kg01 said:

:Schroder: I tried to tell y'all I ain't going anywhere!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Dennis isn't wrong to be concerned about "having 2 small guys."  He will not enjoy guarding 6'8'' SGs this season.

We have so many wings that it wouldn't make sense to play Trae and Dennis together for extended periods of time or even on a regular basis.  I'm assuming this will be done if the match up is right.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

We have so many wings that it wouldn't make sense to play Trae and Dennis together for extended periods of time or even on a regular basis.  I'm assuming this will be done if the match up is right.

It will have to be done regularly if they regularly want to each play more than 24 minutes per game.  I agree it should be kept to a minimum but at 32 mpg the theoretical minimum is 8 minutes per game together.

• Like 1