• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Summer League Roster / Schedule Released - All Things Summer League!

NBASupes

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

The defensive reaction time and instincts are just incredible.  You won't see any of the other bigs from this draft do what JJJ did there.  This is a future DPOY.  My #2 overall prospect from the draft..  

He's been pretty bad most of Vegas SL. Showed some positive flashes when I watched him in the 1st round for MEM. JJJ like Marvin, will be a day 1 contributor. They have a high level of execution even if they have some very clear weaknesses. I don't and won't likely ever see him as a star or superstar but he can be pretty good and add a lot of quality to Memphis long term. Glad he's not a Hawk,  much rather and prefer Young. 

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

He's been pretty bad most of Vegas SL. Showed some positive flashes when I watched him in the 1st round for MEM. JJJ like Marvin, will be a day 1 contributor. They have a high level of execution even if they have some very clear weaknesses. I don't and won't likely ever see him as a star or superstar but he can be pretty good and add a lot of quality to Memphis long term. Glad he's not a Hawk,  much rather and prefer Young. 

He's been the best rookie in all of summer league, by a large margin.

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Exactly..summer league. Again, like Supes said he’s obviously a good solid player and contributor but not a star. 

4 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Exactly..summer league. Again, like Supes said he’s obviously a good solid player and contributor but not a star. 

He is going to be a good player and he will play a key role this year for Memphis. 

He will never win ROY and he will likely never be an all star. I think his success will regress once Gasol and Conley regress but his impact will show early on. I think Memphis is an excellent short term fit for him. But I question the long term fit. They will have to build around him and add others. Everyone is counting them out but I wouldn't be surprised if they make the playoffs. They play the right way and Conley and Gasol are top 30 players.

4 hours ago, thecampster said:

I'm thinking he's going to be somewhere between Tyrus Thomas and Tyson Chandler...more like Chandler.

From SL, he looks like a mix of a young Marvin and Ibaka with better shooting from range. He will play well and was an excellent pick by Memphis considering their scheme, system and personnel grouping.

6 hours ago, KB21 said:

That's questionable and debatable. Clearly one of the most impactful from all of the games I've watched. All of the top guys have had great impact at times.

Ayton

Bagley

JJJ 

Young

Bamba

Sexton

Carter Jr. 

Knox

And Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

Doncic didn't play and  Bridges didn't play great but PHX SL played with no structure. He will be better in the RS.

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

He is going to be a good player and he will play a key role this year for Memphis. 

He will never win ROY and he will likely never be an all star. I think his success will regress once Gasol and Conley regress but his impact will show early on. I think Memphis is an excellent short term fit for him. But I question the long term fit. They will have to build around him and add others. Everyone is counting them out but I wouldn't be surprised if they make the playoffs. They play the right way and Conley and Gasol are top 30 players.

It won't be hard to find talent that can fit next to JJJ going forward.  He isn't like Bagley in that you have to put a specific skill set around him, and you have to fill in around him with strong defenders.  JJJ can play beside another shooting big man, and he can play beside a rim roller.  You don't have to insulate him with defenders either.  He doesn't need a great point guard to create shot opportunities for him, because even if all he does is shoot three point shots, the fact that he is a big that shoots three point shots brings immense value.  

22 minutes ago, KB21 said:

It won't be hard to find talent that can fit next to JJJ going forward.  He isn't like Bagley in that you have to put a specific skill set around him, and you have to fill in around him with strong defenders.  JJJ can play beside another shooting big man, and he can play beside a rim roller.  You don't have to insulate him with defenders either.  He doesn't need a great point guard to create shot opportunities for him, because even if all he does is shoot three point shots, the fact that he is a big that shoots three point shots brings immense value.  

He is difficult to build around for obvious reasons. He can't create his own offense. The offense will always have to be movement base. You cant just fit anyone around him like Al because he doesn't carry weight for his teammates. He just has to be at the right fit. For now, this is the right fit but when those guys age. Memphis could be in trouble. 

Him stretching the floor with threes is good for spacing but it doesn't have an impact if teams are daring you to make a basket in the paint as we seen with us v. Indy the year Al was out in the playoffs 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He is difficult to build around for obvious reasons. He can't create his own offense. The offense will always have to be movement base. You cant just fit anyone around him like Al because he doesn't carry weight for his teammates. He just has to be at the right fit. For now, this is the right fit but when those guys age. Memphis could be in trouble. 

Him stretching the floor with threes is good for spacing but it doesn't have an impact if teams are daring you to make a basket in the paint as we seen with us v. Indy the year Al was out in the playoffs 

I think JJJ will unquestionably be an easy piece to build around. 

1 minute ago, AHF said:

I think JJJ will unquestionably be an easy piece to build around. 

Yep.  It's going to be a lot more difficult to try and build a winning team around Ayton and Bagley than it is Jackson, Doncic, and Young.

• Moderators
Just now, NBASupes said:

A contender around as a main piece. Not just as a piece.

I don't know whether he will be good enough to a main piece of a contender or not but his skillset makes him an easy piece to include as a starter whether he blossoms into a stud or ends up more of a role player.  In either case, you can mix and match a lot of different types of players with him in the frontcourt.  The ease of including him in any given lineup is an asset for him.  I view whether he will be a stud or not as a separate question.

1 minute ago, AHF said:

I don't know whether he will be good enough to a main piece of a contender or not but his skillset makes him an easy piece to include as a starter whether he blossoms into a stud or ends up more of a role player.  In either case, you can mix and match a lot of different types of players with him in the frontcourt.  The ease of including him in any given lineup is an asset for him.  I view whether he will be a stud or not as a separate question.

I think we agree on that. KB is saying he is a main piece. That's why he is comparing him to Ayton and Bagley. That's where I disagree.

I dont like putting Young or Doncic in the mix. These two are playmakers. These two carry so much more responsibility