• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Schlenksanity! Lin to the Hawks...for what?

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

when it comes down to it, Travis just wanted Lin.   That's what it is.   He values his leadership and despite what some are saying he is a good PG.   If healthy he's better than Nelson and Harris at this point in their careers.  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
58 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Because you don't trade your starting point guard unless you have someone that can replace him. Lin as a one year rental to replace Dennis makes sense if that's what will happen. Bringing in Lin under any other circumstance is just plain idiocy.

1st of all he isn't healthy so how is he a replacement? Plus there were plenty of other point guards on the market.  Also why not just start Trae Young?  Why is this so difficult to understand.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

when it comes down to it, Travis just wanted Lin.   That's what it is.   He values his leadership and despite what some are saying he is a good PG.   If healthy he's better than Nelson and Harris at this point in their careers.  

I don't really blame him for that if there's a followup deal.   I mean, Travis knows Lin's work ethic.  It's a work ethic that has been talked about everywhere he has gone.   Harris and Nelson would have been a guessing game.   I think Schlenk may know or know of Jack also.  So who knows. 

55 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Just finished reading the entire thread.  Lot of conspiracy theories

#1 The Dennis haters think/hope that this is tied to some sort of Dennis Schröder trade which makes little sense.  Like AHF said, There are plenty point guards on the market to be had for cheap.   Dennis haters also think that Lin was brought in as a $13 million dollar mentor to Trae for a year since Dennis is so poisonous.

#2 The Schlenk haters think that Schlenk did it to have a 3rd point guard on the staff and is willing to have the most expensive 3rd string point guard in the league because  preferred Lin so much over the other available point guards.  Schlenk Haters also believed that Schlenk was duped into taking this deal by the smarter GM.

#3 Lin fans think that Lin can still play and be a reliable option to Dennis Schröder.

#4 Ownership haters think that this a marketing ploy to expand the team's fan base to include the followers of Lin.

The only thing that makes sense to me is conspiracy #4.  Ownership had to be involved in this decision. There is no other logical explanation behind this move

I'm almost done reading the entire thread.   And I agree with you. 

Give me NBA Conspiracy Theories #4 for $200, Alex.

Alex:  With the Asian population in metro Atlanta currently above 6%, Hawks ownership is betting that his arrival in Atlanta may cause some people to lose their sanity.

Me:  Who is Jeremy Lin?

Alex:  Correct

Me:  Idiotic GMs for $800 . . . 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

1st of all he isn't healthy so how is he a replacement. Plus there were plenty of other point guards on the market.  Why is this so difficult to understand.

Lin said he’s been going one-on-one with contact for over a month, but hasn't been cleared for 5-on-5 yet. He added that he's making good progress, but admitted to being frustrated because his explosion and timing are not back yet. "It takes a lot of time, which is why we’re going to keep building up and stay with the plan, try to not get too frustrated if I’m not moving the way I want or I’m not as explosive as I want," he said. 

That was on July 9th.   If he's not injury free, the deal will be revoked. 

Please stop with the Asian fans for Lin nonsense. I'm Asian and can give a sh$t about Lin...unless the idea is to bring in the casual Asian fan, who probably doesn't even know where Phillips arena is...so yeah good luck with that...

• Like 3

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Alex:  With the Asian population in metro Atlanta currently above 6%, Hawks ownership is betting that his arrival in Atlanta may cause some people to lose their sanity.

6% isn't a lot.  I pondered this too.   But here's the problem.... If Dennis is traded, Trae will probably be the starter.  I don't think that Linsanity stuff works well if he's the BU.   Linsanity would getting a guy for 13 Million dollars to bring out about 20 more people. 

Now... the trade of Dennis is foreshawdowed especially with him talking negatively about the org. 

27 minutes ago, AHF said:

For those who think we are keeping both Dennis and Lin, I'm curious what your rotation looks like with everyone playing:

PG Options - 48 minutes:  Dennis, Trae, Lin, Dorsey, Bembry

SG Options - 48 minutes:  Baze, Huerter, Dorsey, Lin, Bembry, Cleveland, Morris, Dennis, Trae (last two only on because Schlenk said he plans to play them some together)

SF Options - 48 minutes:  Prince, Baze, Huerter, Bembry, Cleveland

Ready to see how people think this shakes out in an average game.

PG:  Dennis ( 29 ) - Trae ( 19 )

G:  Baze ( 28 ) - Dorsey ( 14 ) - Bembry ( 10 )

SF:  Prince ( 34 ) - Huerter ( 14 )

DNP:  Lin, Cleveland, Morris

• Like 2

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

PG

Dennis -28 mpg

Trae - 26

Lin - 16 and at most if injuries above 24 

Adams- 10 if Lin is still out

With 48 total minutes available in an average game at PG,  you have us playing:

28 minutes for Dennis + 26 for Trae +16 for Lin = 70 minutes out of an available 48.  

hqdefault.jpg

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

POTD.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

PG:  Dennis ( 29 ) - Trae ( 19 )

G:  Baze ( 28 ) - Dorsey ( 14 ) - Bembry ( 10 )

SF:  Prince ( 34 ) - Huerter ( 14 )

DNP:  Lin, Cleveland, Morris

Your numbers add up and seem pretty reasonable to me, although I definitely expect Huerter to get some time at SG.  Kudos!

If we gave up $14M and a first round pick for DNP then color me unimpressed.  

6 minutes ago, DS5 said:

Please stop with the Asian fans for Lin nonsense. I'm Asian and can give a sh$t about Lin...unless the idea is to bring in the casual Asian fan, who probably doesn't even know where Phillips arena is...so yeah good luck with that...

When you're a bottom feeding team, ownership will look toward anything to gain a marketing advantage to bring in more of the casual fan.  It's the regular NBA fans that will ( and have ) stopped going to games.  The hardcore fans will go regardless of the product.  But the casual fan will pick and choose what nights they'll go see the Hawks.

It's pretty much a fact that wherever Jeremy has gone, Asian fans ARE interested in seeing him play.  And honestly, that's natural.  I saw the effect that P.K. Subban had with the Nashville Predators, not only from an in-game aspect, but from a fan interest aspect as well.   

When Black people in the Nashville area saw that one of the best players on the team was a Black man from Canada, it did pique interest in the Predators.  And when they made their run last year to the Stanley Cup Finals, Black people all of a sudden became hockey fans, with P.K. being one of the players that they watched.

If the Hawks are going to be bad this season, we'll not only get to see a lot of Trae in garbage time, but possibly a lot of Lin as well.

Lin's numbers are more than decent though.   He's not worth 13 mill a year, but he's solid enough to be a very good backup PG, and possibly a starter if need be.   As AHF pointed out though, when you've been hurt for basically 2 years straight, that's a player that you really can't count on health wise.

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Your numbers add up and seem pretty reasonable to me, although I definitely expect Huerter to get some time at SG.  Kudos!

If we gave up $14M and a first round pick for DNP then color me unimpressed.  

I've completely soured on Bembry, but I want to see what Huerter brings to the table first.   If he's anywhere near a 35% shooter from 3 on the NBA level, he'll take all of Bembry's minutes, and may approach 20 minutes per game.  That's probably the most ideal situation for us.

• Moderators

Does Lin actually drive attendance?  Seasons with Lin in bold.

Houston

Lakers

Hornets

Brooklyn

19 minutes ago, Diesel said:

6% isn't a lot.  I pondered this too.   But here's the problem.... If Dennis is traded, Trae will probably be the starter.  I don't think that Linsanity stuff works well if he's the BU.   Linsanity would getting a guy for 13 Million dollars to bring out about 20 more people. 

Now... the trade of Dennis is foreshawdowed especially with him talking negatively about the org. 

Current Metro Atlanta population:  5.8 million

6% of 5.8 million = 348,000

If the Hawks can capture just  0.1% of that 348,000, that's 3,480 Asian people that will potentially come and see Jeremy Lin on any given night.   A lot of those Asians are from India though.   Even if they can capture 1,000 Asians a night, that's pretty significant for an arena that will hold 17,500 after renovations are done.

10 hours ago, JTB said:

Bingo! So looks like to me Schlenk made this trade just to have the right to swap First Rd picks in 2023 ...maybe betting that the nets won’t be in the playoffs and we will by that time.

then second Lin’s deal comes off the books after this year so making this trade was no long term commitment to Lin and we stay “flexible” within our cap for next off season.

Brooklyn has done this before and it seemed like a small deal but then backfired on them:

if I’m not mistaking I believe the Celtics or the Cavs swapped first rd picks with the Brooklyn Nets last draft based on past similar deals. So schlenk May be on to something we won’t know.

Lin attitude vs Dennis attitude:

if I had to make a good assumption on this...Schlenk probably feels Lin would be more supportive of Trae then Dennis. Dennis alpha attitude may not mesh well with young Trae as he’s still young himself entering his prime years and would like to continue starting....why would he want to mentor a young Trae Young to take his point guard duties and he’s still only 24/25 years old?

....of course Dennis could stay but I see no reason to keep Dennis and Lin to help mentor Trae Young.

like I’ve said from the very minute the rumor broke out among fans that schlenk doesn’t like Dennis, I’ve believed Dennis was out the door every since then.

The swap is for second round picks. 

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, AHF said:

Does Lin actually drive attendance?  Seasons with Lin in bold.

Houston

Lakers

Hornets

Brooklyn

They're just more vocal and get shown on TV alot?