• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Schlenksanity! Lin to the Hawks...for what?

lethalweapon3

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

yeah, not here, and not to tank.

You could have paid any of the guys who have already signed a huge % increase over what they were making to get them there for a year and still gotten that 1st round pick from Denver.  You are telling me that none of those guys would have played here for something like $7M instead of the $2-3M they are going to get?  You are paying $14M this year.  That gives you $12M in room to bargain while still saving money.  And none of those guys have had Lin's health issues.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, DS5 said:

Please stop with the Asian fans for Lin nonsense. I'm Asian and can give a sh$t about Lin...unless the idea is to bring in the casual Asian fan, who probably doesn't even know where Phillips arena is...so yeah good luck with that...

And people blow up about racist comments.  In that context I think its racist to make comments about marketing to Asians.  

Mods need to stop this.  

22 minutes ago, skimaskway23 said:

We are already looking at potentially 3 top 15 picks in 2019. . We also have 2 2nd rounders. Thats already 5 players. I think they valued Lin over a 4th pick in the early 20s

Denver is at worst a 6th seed next year. Thats a top 10 record. 

Schlenk got a guy he values to help trae for when he eventually finds a deal for Dennis. We'll be fine, no need to get out the pitchforks. This was more like a free agent acquisition.

With the additional first round you could have combined picks to move up in the first round, but that's obsolete now because our GM doesn't know how to maximize trades

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Vol4ever said:

And people blow up about racist comments.  In that context I think its racist to make comments about marketing to Asians.  

Mods need to stop this.  

It is objective fact that Lin has a fan base that is highly skewed towards an Asian demographic.  That is reality, not racism.  If anyone starts talking about fans of different races being worth more or players having more or less value because of race then we'll shut things down.  The idea of Lin being a marketing tool is fair discussion and is premised on the idea that every fan brought in the door regardless of color has value to the ownership.

• Like 1

Mods need to stop this.  

I don't think anyone's comments are meant as racist or offensive. I get it, we're all trying to figure out wtf schlenk is doing is all...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Moderators
Just now, phoostal said:

With the additional first round you could have combined picks to move up in the first round, but that's obsolete now because our GM doesn't know how to maximize trades

There are so many things you can do with another pick. 

Move up in the draft.

Trade it for a future pick.

Combine it with a player [and more picks] to get someone who is available.  

Combine it with a contract that you want to unload to entice someone to take that bad contract (think guys like Baze and Plumlee).

There is no saturation point beyond which picks have no value.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, DS5 said:

I don't think anyone's comments are meant as racist or offensive. I get it, we're all trying to figure out wtf schlenk is doing is all...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I agree BUT the point I'm trying to make is everyone else is a racist.  I just think it should be a level playing field.  If that comment was made about another race all hell would break loose.  

Btw I don't think anyone on here is a racist.  

• Premium Member
Just now, Vol4ever said:

I agree BUT the point I'm trying to make is everyone else is a racist.  I just think it should be a level playing field.  If that comment was made about another race all hell would break loose.  

Btw I don't think anyone on here is a 

Rant over back to Schlenk.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I just cant understand bringing in a vet like this when:

1.  He drafted a PG

2.  Lin is a vet player

3.  Maybe they will release him although the reports are he is staying.

This GM will make you roll your eyes.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, NBASupes said:

But could any of them add marketing opportunities and profit from ticket sales and viewership like Lin can? Lin is a marketing beast. Add that both him and Trae are diehard Christians, Atlanta can market this to the church going fans as well. 

And this shows how lost this franchise is. No real fans who just love the team or the sport, so they have to try this hard not to play in front of empty seats, that they have to put a bar, a barber and some golf sh!t in the arena and select their players on religion and ethnicity... BTW isn't the latter some kind of racism?

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, rd79 said:

And this shows how lost this franchise is. No real fans who just love the team or the sport, so they have to try this hard not to play in front of empty seats, that they have to put a bar, a barber and some golf sh!t in the arena and select their players on religion and ethnicity... BTW isn't the latter some kind of racism?

They're crazy and don't seem to give a flip about winning.  

I think Lin is a long term solution at backup moving forward. Even if he's a 3rd string PG for half the season, once healthy, he gives us a backup PG. We haven't had one since Mack and Lin is one that can really play. There is long term potential there.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, rd79 said:

You have no clue how hard it is to market this franchise

23 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

You have no clue how hard it is to market this franchise

I'm following the Hawks for five years now and even if I've never been in Atlanta yet, I think I know the best answer to make this franchise more successful: Relocate it to a place not full of transplants - like Seattle....

8 hours ago, AHF said:

Denver gave the Nets their 2019 first round pick for taking expiring contracts.  We passed on that deal to take Lin.  I can't for the life of me understand why we would prefer Lin over Denver's 2019 pick.

The lack of a first round pick being mentioned in the trade is the problem.

Because with the roster they are assembling, that pick is going to be in the 20's.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rd79 said:

I'm following the Hawks for five years now and even if I've never been in Atlanta yet, I think I know the best answer to make this franchise more successful: Relocate it to a place not full of transplants - like Seattle....

... a city that couldn't hang onto a historical franchise like the Sonics?

I'd suggest delving further into why franchises are located in certain cities/markets.

• Like 1

Schlenk has yet to "win" a trade. There have been a few players who've signed for less, been traded for more or picks have been exchanged that have been beneficial for the assets presented.  It's not about Lin to me but the failure to use what you got to get what you want.  He needs a serious negotiator with him at all times.  Dennis needs a new home.  This has the makings of a sulking vibe mentality attributed to Schlenk. I can't blame Dennis for being jaded, but this move seems short sighted (unless a trade occurs..which we will get shafted).  

That said, I like the players he's picked but I'm underwhelmed otherwise. 

• Like 1