• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Schlenksanity! Lin to the Hawks...for what?

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, thecampster said:

Because with the roster they are assembling, that pick is going to be in the 20's.

So a pick in the 20s in 2019 is worth less than 2nd in 2025, 7 years from now? Particularly when all the contracts are expiring? Particularly when we are rebuilding the team?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I think Lin is a long term solution at backup moving forward. Even if he's a 3rd string PG for half the season, once healthy, he gives us a backup PG. We haven't had one since Mack and Lin is one that can really play. There is long term potential there.

Exactly.

• Like 1

Just now, terrell said:

Exactly.

Has nothing to do with Asians, ticket sales, or whatever else nonsense Im reading imo. Schlenk evidently likes the guy as a player As he signed him in GS..And anyone with a brain knows Dennis' days are numbered..So................................................................ He went and got the mentor for Trae that he wanted . Period..Well at least thats the way Im seeing it...Yall acting like he gave him a 5 yr deal or something. lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AHF said:

It is objective fact that Lin has a fan base that is highly skewed towards an Asian demographic.  That is reality, not racism.  If anyone starts talking about fans of different races being worth more or players having more or less value because of race then we'll shut things down.  The idea of Lin being a marketing tool is fair discussion and is premised on the idea that every fan brought in the door regardless of color has value to the ownership.

Look at some of the comments when we drafted trae instead of luka, " more of the amigo crowd..." didnt shut that down.  

wish this board would base player comments on their play and nothing else, most on here do but some dont.

I'm sorry, but this is a trash trade no matter how you slice it. Unless Lin is supposed to be the golden mentor Trae needs, why do this deal? He's an expiring deal, so we could sign him next year. We can't expect him to contribute anywhere near the value of what he's owed. I'd rather us pay Isaiah Thomas 5 million, and trade him to a contender at the trade deadline. Then you could sign Lin long term if we like him that much. This cap space has been wasted because Schlenk doesn't have a plan. It's just wait and see with him. While I'm fine with the overall objective of losing games, this team is just a waste of time right now.

We've squandered some of our assets imo this offseason. I can only hope Trae, Huerter and Spellman prove me won't because I don't like what I'm seeing from Schlenk.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nathan2331 said:

I'm sorry, but this is a trash trade no matter how you slice it. Unless Lin is supposed to be the golden mentor Trae needs, why do this deal? He's an expiring deal, so we could sign him next year. We can't expect him to contribute anywhere near the value of what he's owed. I'd rather us pay Isaiah Thomas 5 million, and trade him to a contender at the trade deadline. Then you could sign Lin long term if we like him that much. This cap space has been wasted because Schlenk doesn't have a plan. It's just wait and see with him. While I'm fine with the overall objective of losing games, this team is just a waste of time right now.

We've squandered some of our assets imo this offseason. I can only hope Trae, Huerter and Spellman prove me won't because I don't like what I'm seeing from Schlenk.

Do you really want IT in the same locker room with our rookie pg? Hell, LBJ would rather play with JR Smith than this dude...lol.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

Could have gotten Jarret Jack for $3 million to mentor Trae the way he mentored Steph in GSW. Just saying.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Jeremy Lin fans on Reddit attacking Hawks fans

... so?

Seriously.  Anyone who's still a Lin-only fanatic at this point ... well, let's just say they don't move the kg-meter.

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Could have gotten Jarret Jack for $3 million to mentor Trae the way he mentored Steph in GSW. Just saying.

Preach, gurl.

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Could have had Jack and a first round pick from Denver.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, kg01 said:

... so?

Seriously.  Anyone who's still a Lin-only fanatic at this point ... well, let's just say they don't move the kg-meter.

Preach, gurl.

I know you would like that, lol.

10 minutes ago, AHF said:

Could have had Jack and a first round pick from Denver.

Yep.

Do you really want IT in the same locker room with our rookie pg? Hell, LBJ would rather play with JR Smith than this dude...lol.

I don't follow Thomas that closely, but I'm pretty sure he's a good teammate when he's getting his minutes and playing effectively. I don't think he's the greatest player ever, but if he was playing at a high level we could easily flip him to a playoff team.

It wouldn't matter too much who we'd get in place of Lin. I said Thomas specifically because if we had him playing at a high level in Atlanta we could probably fetch a first rounder from a team trying to make a playoff push at the deadline.

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Nail hits head^^^^^.  Jaybird you summed it up. 

Gee... 20 pages of Hawk fans wondering about Lyn and why he was signed.  NBA fans, all.  Love our basketball, every one of us.  Tonight, Atlanta's very own WNBA team won and no one seemed to notice.  A shame.  If you love the Hawks, you might learn to like our other pro basketball team that plays in the summer while the Hawks are off.

I hope our baby Hawks do well tonight.  They are not on a channel I get, therefore I will watch a replay of the highlights tomorrow.

Remember, the Hawks signed Chelse Lane, then signed Lyn.  Now, she has something to do!  That new Emory section is going to be put to good use, I'll bet!

:Bob: - (Dream's announcer)

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So a pick in the 20s in 2019 is worth less than 2nd in 2025, 7 years from now? Particularly when all the contracts are expiring? Particularly when we are rebuilding the team?

No what I'm saying is people are like "we coulda got a first" but be realistic about what that first is....its 8 picks from being a second.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

No what I'm saying is people are like "we coulda got a first" but be realistic about what that first is....its 8 picks from being a second.

Instead we got a pick that is 5-7 years away from being a second. :banghead:

5 minutes ago, DBac said:

Instead we got a pick that is 5-7 years away from being a second. :banghead:

You really, really need to see this outside of the vacuum of the Denver trade.  Prior to the deal you had 21.5 million in cap space.  Now you have Lin + 7.7 million in space but an expendable asset in Dennis at 15.5 million.  So now if you want to trade Dennis, you already have a replacement in place and can bring back 23.2 million back instead of 21.5.  Yes, that could make a difference if you are planning to accelerate the rebuild and abandon tanking because Lebron is out of the East.  For example, pretend you wanted Kevin Love, which is a 24 million cap hit.  So you trade nothing for Lin, but trade Dennis and Bembry (so salaries get you below the cap and fit cap rules) for Love.  What this trade did was give you the extra 1.7 million in cap to get Love.  You basically traded Dennis + Bembry for Love and Lin....  Which most would consider a huge win.  

Now move forward to next off-season.  You moved Dennis off the books for next year and Lin expires that same time.  The move would give you 15.5 million more in cap space next year for free agency...a luxury you can't afford without a Lin to replace Dennis. This would push you to $52 million in functional cap space next year instead of $37 million.  

This is why tanking is a horrible strategy. You get pick happy instead of the real place teams are built...managing the cap.