• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Schlenksanity! Lin to the Hawks...for what?

lethalweapon3

4 hours ago, kg01 said:

... a city that couldn't hang onto a historical franchise like the Sonics?

I'd suggest delving further into why franchises are located in certain cities/markets.

And now the City is so hyped, they would sellout their first ten seasons no matter how the Team would play. 

But it wont happen, I know - nevertheless other big Sport franchises have left ATL before...

11 minutes ago, rd79 said:

And now the City is so hyped, they would sellout their first ten seasons no matter how the Team would play. 

But it wont happen, I know - nevertheless other big Sport franchises have left ATL before...

They said the same about Memphis and New Orleans ...

What big sports franchises have left Atl other than hockey?  Oh

4 hours ago, kg01 said:

They said the same about Memphis and New Orleans ...

What big sports franchises have left Atl other than hockey?  Oh

Do you really want to start an argument about Hawks having problems to fill their arena?

I already wrote about them not being relocated...

Yeah only Hockey, twice... Nevermind...

8 hours ago, nathan2331 said:
8 hours ago, NBASupes said:
Jeremy Lin fans on Reddit attacking Hawks fans

Why does he still have fans that dedicated? He stays injured unfortunately.

You don"t choose to be a fan of something or somebody. Something makes you feeling bound to a player, a city, a team of whatever. Of course it can Start with buying a ticket. But you cannot choose. And you cannot end being a fan on purpose as well. Who doesn't get this doesn't know what it means to be a fan...

1 hour ago, rd79 said:

Do you really want to start an argument about Hawks having problems to fill their arena?

I already wrote about them not being relocated...

Yeah only Hockey, twice... Nevermind...

No, you said the franchise should be relocated in order for it to be successful which is a ludicrous notion.

You realize, if they did relocate, the fans may change but the management  (i.e., the buffoons making these ridiculous trades) remains the same?

That's Atlantans' fault?

7 hours ago, rd79 said:

2 hockey teams, meh. You do realize NBATV and TNT are based in Atlanta, we’re top 10 in population, top 5 in NBA television viewership, and United is #1 in MLS attendance? The Hawks are NEVER going anywhere.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I know you would like that, lol.

Yep.

some chinese will love any athlete who is chinese.  I told my wife and brother (who are chinese) about the trade and they could care less.  def interesting.

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, AHF said:

You could have paid any of the guys who have already signed a huge % increase over what they were making to get them there for a year and still gotten that 1st round pick from Denver.  You are telling me that none of those guys would have played here for something like $7M instead of the $2-3M they are going to get?  You are paying $14M this year.  That gives you $12M in room to bargain while still saving money.  And none of those guys have had Lin's health issues.

Uhm.  Isaiah Thomas is the only one signed for a 1 yr deal.  You say none of those guys have had Lin's Health issues?  Lin has nothing chronic.  IT has a chronic Bo Jackson like Hip Problem.    Do the math.  Moreover, IT is not the style of player that you want Trae to model. 

I agree that we could have gone after 36 yr old Jameer Nelson.  I think that he plays the game in a way that is similar to what we want from Trae.  BUT  Schlenk knows Lin.   You're crying about money that we could have only used to take on Dead Deals anyway.  You're crying about a lost pick in a draft that is not so strong and we already have 3 picks coming and 2 2nd rounders.   Sure we can trade a mediocre 2019 midround pick... or we could develop our 2018 #3 pick overall. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Could have gotten Jarret Jack for $3 million to mentor Trae the way he mentored Steph in GSW. Just saying.

We had Jack last offseason.  He left us saying that he was physically unable to continue to play basketball.  Then he signed with the Knicks and played 25 minutes per game over 62 games. 

You think we want to try to resign him again??

• Like 2

I tend to agree with @Sothronthat this is a crap move. If cap space is your asset a 1 yr rental of Lin at $12m to be a mentor is a pretty steep price to pay given other options. Especially since it further hurts us in trade negotiations for Dennis since other teams know they have all the leverage now that we are even more overloaded at PG. Sell more tickets because he's Jeremy Lin? Puh-lease. Not $12m, I promise. Not my money, but cap space could have been better utilized. Schlitz is a terrible negotiator it seems.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, LamarHampton said:

I tend to agree with @Sothronthat this is a crap move. If cap space is your asset a 1 yr rental of Lin at $12m to be a mentor is a pretty steep price to pay given other options. Especially since it further hurts us in trade negotiations for Dennis since other teams know they have all the leverage now that we are even more overloaded at PG. Sell more tickets because he's Jeremy Lin? Puh-lease. Not $12m, I promise. Not my money, but cap space could have been better utilized. Schlitz is a terrible negotiator it seems.

I say the book is still out.   I have to wait to see his followup move.  If this is all there is, then I agree.   However, what this move does do is make it possible to move Dennis without having to look for a PG who can run the offense.   Also, it gives Schlenk a player that he's comfortable with.   Some of you sneer at the work ethic thoughts... as if any player you bring in has a good work ethic??   Does Minny make a mistake bringing in Randy Moss and then overpaying Chris Carter to stay with him??  Sure they could have gotten James Jett for a whole lot cheaper.  However, would Jett have taught Moss about taking care of his body?  Would Jett have taught Moss about being a professional?  Would Jett have Flown Moss and all the QBs of Minny to his workout center and had them work on timing together?

I have a wait and see here. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I say the book is still out.   I have to wait to see his followup move.  If this is all there is, then I agree.   However, what this move does do is make it possible to move Dennis without having to look for a PG who can run the offense.   Also, it gives Schlenk a player that he's comfortable with.   Some of you sneer at the work ethic thoughts... as if any player you bring in has a good work ethic??   Does Minny make a mistake bringing in Randy Moss and then overpaying Chris Carter to stay with him??  Sure they could have gotten James Jett for a whole lot cheaper.  However, would Jett have taught Moss about taking care of his body?  Would Jett have taught Moss about being a professional?  Would Jett have Flown Moss and all the QBs of Minny to his workout center and had them work on timing together?

I have a wait and see here. 

Still not seeing it. We could get a reasonable backup with a good work ethic for MUCH cheaper, maintain cap space, and get the guy a Tony Robbins-level life coach on the payroll to follow up on the work ethic stuff. I don't know about Lin and his work ethic all that much - maybe he is some gurus but I have my suspicions, but it Seems like Lins work ethic is being grossly overstated. I get the argument that there is a trade exception or whatever that cap was talking about but that seems like a red herring argument because we also lost a lot of leverage. Plus we are tanking this season so if we have to wait a few months to get a solid backup after moving Dennis it's not the end of the world; there's no rush or anything and we actively lowered or position of leverage in future negotiations for Dennis. 

Seems like Schlenk is making a verb of his name.

Websters would say something like

Schlenk (verb): the act of making unnecessary losing or negative deals in trade negotiations. (E.g. "I have a feeling our boss is going to Schlenk this deal.") See also, Schlenked: to be on the receiving end of negative deals made by another person making decisions for a group or organization. (E.g., "Man, the Hawks got Schlenked again!")

• Like 1

You don"t choose to be a fan of something or somebody. Something makes you feeling bound to a player, a city, a team of whatever. Of course it can Start with buying a ticket. But you cannot choose. And you cannot end being a fan on purpose as well. Who doesn't get this doesn't know what it means to be a fan...

I'm still a Josh Smith fan, I know what it's like to support a player through some struggles. I was referring to the toxic behavior from Lin fans. I've never seen you or other Dennis fans attacking fans on this site. It's always been respect.
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Could have gotten Jarret Jack for $3 million to mentor Trae the way he mentored Steph in GSW. Just saying.

? oh no u don’t ?. I’m gonna check you right here. I was wanting Jack for the past few years and you been getting on my ass about it and now you propose it? Hilarious ? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Diesel said:

@AHF listed a few PGs but out of them about 2 of them were realistically going to take the same type of deal we have with Lin.   At this point, the Capspace is not that important... however, the fact that he will be off the books at the start of next FA season is. 

That free agency space was already going to be there without Jeremy Lin, so that really has no bearing on this.  I'm an anti tank guy, but the value of cap space for the Hawks is to get the unknown assets of 1st round picks in exchange for helping teams get under the salary cap.  

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, LamarHampton said:

I tend to agree with @Sothronthat this is a crap move. If cap space is your asset a 1 yr rental of Lin at $12m to be a mentor is a pretty steep price to pay given other options. Especially since it further hurts us in trade negotiations for Dennis since other teams know they have all the leverage now that we are even more overloaded at PG. Sell more tickets because he's Jeremy Lin? Puh-lease. Not $12m, I promise. Not my money,

Apparently the Nets are paying his salary

26 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

? oh no u don’t ?. I’m gonna check you right here. I was wanting Jack for the past few years and you been getting on my ass about it and now you propose it? Hilarious ? 

Don’t make me dig $hit up... ? I’ll do it I don’t give a Fffuuuuuuu.