• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Schlenksanity! Lin to the Hawks...for what?

lethalweapon3

54 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I say the book is still out.   I have to wait to see his followup move.  If this is all there is, then I agree.   However, what this move does do is make it possible to move Dennis without having to look for a PG who can run the offense.   Also, it gives Schlenk a player that he's comfortable with.   Some of you sneer at the work ethic thoughts... as if any player you bring in has a good work ethic??   Does Minny make a mistake bringing in Randy Moss and then overpaying Chris Carter to stay with him??  Sure they could have gotten James Jett for a whole lot cheaper.  However, would Jett have taught Moss about taking care of his body?  Would Jett have taught Moss about being a professional?  Would Jett have Flown Moss and all the QBs of Minny to his workout center and had them work on timing together?

I have a wait and see here. 

I am not sure there is a book to write now, I don't see anyone willing to take on Melo's deal and it looks like all the teams with cap are willing to use it up. Chicago taking on Parker, Sacramento making big offers to RFA's, and us taking on Lin.

According to Spotrac the Raptors luxury tax bill is 22.9 million, the Wizards is 19 million, and the Trail Blazers is 14 million. Maybe one of these teams starts sweating the repeat offender label by the all-star break, If I had to make a bet, my money is on the Wizards making a move by the deadline, The Raptors may move one of their two star guards as well, Portland is the least likely in my opinion to move cap this year,

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/

Select the team you think is in the luxury and look at the bottom to see Est. Luxury Tax Bill. If that field is not there, they are not paying one.

This is what the Nets  would cover. As kg guessed its the trade kicker.

marks_bobby.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Bobby Marks ESPN 

Taking in the $12.5M expiring contract of Jeremy Lin now has the Hawks with $8.9M in room and 13 guaranteed contracts. Lin has a 10% trade bonus valued at $1.25M that Brooklyn would be responsible for if the guard does not waive it. The cap hit would increase to $13.7 million and room for Atlanta would decrease to $7.7 million. Lin has $2.25M in unlikely bonuses in his contract that range from statistical achievements to All-NBA honors. The Hawks have two players on non-guaranteed contracts, Jaylen Morris ($1.4M) and Antonius Cleveland ($1.4M).

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Wait.  Where is this report?

Maybe I'm misreading this

Lin’s contract stipulates that he’ll make $13.8 million in 2018-19 after the trade also triggered a 10 percent trade bonus in his contract, which is paid by the Nets but will count against the Hawks’ cap sheet.

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2018/7/13/17568606/break-down-atlanta-hawks-trade-acquisition-jeremy-lin-brooklyn-nets-denver-nuggets-salary-cap-nba

Sounds like the Net are responsible for the trade kicker

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, kerrypack said:

some chinese will love any athlete who is chinese.  I told my wife and brother (who are chinese) about the trade and they could care less.  def interesting.

I was talking to @kg01 about Jarret Jack.

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

We had Jack last offseason.  He left us saying that he was physically unable to continue to play basketball.  Then he signed with the Knicks and played 25 minutes per game over 62 games. 

You think we want to try to resign him again??

The Hawks released him from his vet min contract since he wasn't ready for the season....(so it's more he would have no interest in the Hawks, but for the right price)

The Hawks waived veteran Jarrett Jack on Thursday. The release of the veteran point guard, who has been unable to practice as he returns from torn right knee ligaments, reduced the training-camp roster to 17 players.

52 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

? oh no u don’t ?. I’m gonna check you right here. I was wanting Jack for the past few years and you been getting on my ass about it and now you propose it? Hilarious ? 

I never said I didn't want Jack. The question was - who would be cut from the training camp roster - I voted Jack since he wasn't a full participant in camp, not playing 5 on 5 and he didn't play any preseason games and would not be ready to start the season.

On October 20th, Atlanta waived reserve point guard Jarrett Jack, and overnight decided it was in their best interest to waive Will Bynum as well. Apparently the motivation behind those moves was directly related to the concern regarding the depth in the front court after learning that Tiago
Splitter would be missing the first four weeks of the season because of a hamstring injury.

29 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Apparently the Nets are paying his salary

They are paying the 10 % trade kicker ~$1.4 million.

26 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Wait.  Where is this report?

Trade kicker only.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Maybe I'm misreading this

Lin’s contract stipulates that he’ll make $13.8 million in 2018-19 after the trade also triggered a 10 percent trade bonus in his contract, which is paid by the Nets but will count against the Hawks’ cap sheet.

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2018/7/13/17568606/break-down-atlanta-hawks-trade-acquisition-jeremy-lin-brooklyn-nets-denver-nuggets-salary-cap-nba

Sounds like the Net are responsible for the trade kicker

Brooklyn paying the trade kicker of $1 plus mil  but it still counts as $13.8 mil against the Hawks cap.

15 minutes ago, KB21 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/25/sports/basketball/the-evolution-of-jeremy-lin-as-a-point-guard.html

Forgive me for posting anything that is sourced from the New York Times, but this is actually a good article from that rag of a newspaper.  This article goes into detail Jeremy Lin's development from his time as a rookie on the Golden State Warriors team working with Stephen Silas and Lloyd Pierce while with the Warriors and Eric Musselman while with Reno.  Many of the issues he had to work on are the same issues that Trae Young needs to work on, such as his ability to withstand contact when penetrating the lane and the ability to not over penetrate. 

I still believe the opportunity cost is very high with his salary and how he is taking up cap space this year, but his value may come more in future years if the Hawks can keep him at a reasonable salary as a back up/mentor to Trae Young.

Exactly. Schlloyd got who he wanted, to do the job he wanted, with dead cap space he had. The part that I and most have a problem with, the minutiae of not squeezing top value out of the trade, isn't lost on Travis BUT in his mind the ends justify the means. Which seams to be his modus operandi that we just have to get used to. Jury still out, if it brings desired results then all is forgiven. If not, unforgivable to not utilize every ounce of every asset to it's fullest. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hazer said:

Exactly. Schlloyd got who he wanted, to do the job he wanted, with dead cap space he had. The part that I and most have a problem with, the minutiae of not squeezing top value out of the trade, isn't lost on Travis BUT in his mind the ends justify the means. Which seams to be his modus operandi that we just have to get used to. Jury still out, if it brings desired results then all is forgiven. If not, unforgivable to not utilize every ounce of every asset to it's fullest. 

its*

3 minutes ago, hazer said:

If it results in Lin being the perfect mentor for Trae, a great veteran locker room presence for the Young'ns, a valuable on-the-floor/bench player/coach with extremely high BBIQ and work ethic, who may possibly re-sign for cheap as our longterm backup and possible future assistant coach, then I'll be able to get past the minutiae of the trade. Schlloyd has already earned my drafting respect, hope Riley helps the trade negotiations going forward.

4 minutes ago, hazer said:

If it results in Lin being the perfect mentor for Trae, a great veteran locker room presence for the Young'ns, a valuable on-the-floor/bench player/coach with extremely high BBIQ and work ethic, who may possibly re-sign for cheap as our longterm backup and possible future assistant coach, then I'll be able to get past the minutiae of the trade. Schlloyd has already earned my drafting respect, hope Riley helps the trade negotiations going forward.

Right. I guess if Lin turns out to be The Man and The Future or STTE then it will be worthwhile. It just seems difficult to believe that this was the best return for taking on even a year of large salary for an oft-injured, not incredibly productive player (on the court), even if he is THE work ethic magic man he is reputed to be. But hope springs eternal for us Hawks fans. Here's hoping we just traded for our future head HOF coach. .... Skeptical, but hopeful.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I was talking to @kg01 about Jarret Jack.

The Hawks released him from his vet min contract since he wasn't ready for the season....(so it's more he would have no interest in the Hawks, but for the right price)

I never said I didn't want Jack. The question was - who would be cut from the training camp roster - I voted Jack since he wasn't a full participant in camp, not playing 5 on 5 and he didn't play any preseason games and would not be ready to start the season.

They are paying the 10 % trade kicker ~$1.4 million.

Trade kicker only.

U hate Jack.

2 hours ago, nathan2331 said:
6 hours ago, rd79 said:
You don"t choose to be a fan of something or somebody. Something makes you feeling bound to a player, a city, a team of whatever. Of course it can Start with buying a ticket. But you cannot choose. And you cannot end being a fan on purpose as well. Who doesn't get this doesn't know what it means to be a fan...

I'm still a Josh Smith fan, I know what it's like to support a player through some struggles. I was referring to the toxic behavior from Lin fans. I've never seen you or other Dennis fans attacking fans on this site. It's always been respect.

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/25/sports/basketball/the-evolution-of-jeremy-lin-as-a-point-guard.html

Forgive me for posting anything that is sourced from the New York Times, but this is actually a good article from that rag of a newspaper.  This article goes into detail Jeremy Lin's development from his time as a rookie on the Golden State Warriors team working with Stephen Silas and Lloyd Pierce while with the Warriors and Eric Musselman while with Reno.  Many of the issues he had to work on are the same issues that Trae Young needs to work on, such as his ability to withstand contact when penetrating the lane and the ability to not over penetrate. 

I still believe the opportunity cost is very high with his salary and how he is taking up cap space this year, but his value may come more in future years if the Hawks can keep him at a reasonable salary as a back up/mentor to Trae Young.

I just love when people say "Hey I don't like the New York Times but this is a good article." The New York Times has the best, and most interesting and most intelligent articles of any major newspaper out there. Even if you don't agree with their editorials, sometimes I don't myself, that does not take away from the fact that they have some of the best writers. Their article about Steve Kerr's father murder in Beirut was brilliant.

5 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I just love when people say "Hey I don't like the New York Times but this is a good article." The New York Times has the best, and most interesting and most intelligent articles of any major newspaper out there. Even if you don't agree with their editorials, sometimes I don't myself, that does not take away from the fact that they have some of the best writers. Their article about Steve Kerr's father murder in Beirut was brilliant.

The Times is solid. I think a lot of the bad rep on New York newspapers belongs to the Post.

1 hour ago, LamarHampton said:

Right. I guess if Lin turns out to be The Man and The Future or STTE then it will be worthwhile. It just seems difficult to believe that this was the best return for taking on even a year of large salary for an oft-injured, not incredibly productive player (on the court), even if he is THE work ethic magic man he is reputed to be. But hope springs eternal for us Hawks fans. Here's hoping we just traded for our future head HOF coach. .... Skeptical, but hopeful.

I don’t think it’s just work ethic in and of itself. I think it’s staff familiarity, similarities in limitations (between Lin and Young), and Lin’s ability to minimize those for himself. Lin is the hand picked mentor for Trae Young (if we are really keeping him). He’s a really good locker room guy getting out of a terrible situation into one that’s at least trending upwards. He may be the long term answer at backup PG. He also will give us the ability to bench or trade Dennis if he starts going “rogue” in the middle of the season. I feel much better about Traes development having a true veteran and a skilled one at that to really help him adjust to the NBA. We didn’t lose anything but cap space we aren’t going to use anyways. This makes our team better in the long term, IMO. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, EazyRoc said:

Out until December IIRC.

OK, Thanks.   So he is not even going to play possibly until December.  That tells he is most likely a trade deadline candidate.  

• Premium Member

Out on a limb prediction of the month...

It may or may not be in ATL, but when Schlenk gets his gold watch years from now, Jeremy Lin will have been among his head coaching hires.

• Like 2