• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Schlenksanity! Lin to the Hawks...for what?

lethalweapon3

• Premium Member
Just now, Vol4ever said:

OK, Thanks.   So he is not even going to play possibly until December.  That tells he is most likely a trade deadline candidate.  

NOT a trade deadline candidate

14 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

NOT a trade deadline candidate

Asked about the status of his recovery, Lin declined to get into specifics, including whether he has engaged in any basketball activities. But when pressed about whether he expects to be ready when training camp opens in September, Lin smiled and said, “Shoot, if I’m not, there’s issues.”

The latest will be December.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/nets/jeremy-lin-nets-injury-update-1.16505946

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

The Times is solid. I think a lot of the bad rep on New York newspapers belongs to the Post.

It's all about politics. Right wingers don't trust the "mainstream media", they only accept news that fits their worldview, or bogus conspiracy sites.

4 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

It's all about politics. Right wingers don't trust the "mainstream media", they only accept news that fits their worldview, or bogus conspiracy sites.

Speaking of "The NY Post", I just watched a better than expected movie called "Brain on Fire". It is a true story about a NY Post writer (Susannah Calahan) who developed a rare auto-immune brain disease. She went from perfectly healthy to schizo to catatonic in about a month before being properly diagnosed.

Not the greatest movie in the world but a good date night movie as chicks will feel it more than you. Solid good boyfriend points potential and even a bit scary. Good B/A cast with Tyler Perry and Chloe Grace de Moritz. Script will feel a bit shallow and lacking umph as its a true story.

43 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

OK, Thanks.   So he is not even going to play possibly until December.  That tells he is most likely a trade deadline candidate.  

Part of me thinks this is part of why we opted for this deal instead of getting Faried/Arthur/1st.... Why have people on the roster that can help you win games when you get someone who will contribute to a little over a month of not helping us win games?

5 hours ago, hazer said:

...a valuable on-the-floor/bench player/coach with extremely high BBIQ and work ethic, who may possibly re-sign for cheap as our longterm backup and possible future assistant coach...

4 hours ago, sturt said:

Out on a limb prediction of the month...

It may or may not be in ATL, but when Schlenk gets his gold watch years from now, Jeremy Lin will have been among his head coaching hires.

Sturt smelling what the Hazer’s cookin’ ?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, LamarHampton said:

Still not seeing it. We could get a reasonable backup with a good work ethic for MUCH cheaper, maintain cap space, and get the guy a Tony Robbins-level life coach on the payroll to follow up on the work ethic stuff. I don't know about Lin and his work ethic all that much - maybe he is some gurus but I have my suspicions, but it Seems like Lins work ethic is being grossly overstated. I get the argument that there is a trade exception or whatever that cap was talking about but that seems like a red herring argument because we also lost a lot of leverage. Plus we are tanking this season so if we have to wait a few months to get a solid backup after moving Dennis it's not the end of the world; there's no rush or anything and we actively lowered or position of leverage in future negotiations for Dennis. 

Seems like Schlenk is making a verb of his name.

Websters would say something like

Schlenk (verb): the act of making unnecessary losing or negative deals in trade negotiations. (E.g. "I have a feeling our boss is going to Schlenk this deal.") See also, Schlenked: to be on the receiving end of negative deals made by another person making decisions for a group or organization. (E.g., "Man, the Hawks got Schlenked again!")

We could have gotten Jarrett Jack... if we felt like trying to press that strained relationship.   We cut him remember.   He's the only one that I would consider having the experience to mentor.   Tim Wright?? No.  I mean, either you want to develop players or you want to continue to add picks and watch players either leave or never reach their best.   Schlenk felt comfortable with Lin.   That being the case, let's wait and see. 

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 7/13/2018 at 7:21 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

giphy.gif

Still processing..................

On 7/13/2018 at 7:26 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

Why didn't we take the Denver package of a 2019 1st top 12 lottery protected?

On 7/13/2018 at 7:47 AM, Sothron said:

That's what I'm sitting there thinking. The Nets moved Lin to us which does absolutely nothing for us and then they turn around and made the trade Schtink should have made in the first place. We go from having cap space to make exactly the deal the Nets did to use our cap space to get a first rounder from someone to...this. Lin as a 3rd pg? Really?

On 7/13/2018 at 7:59 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

Something smells. BKN got 1st AND a 2nd.

I don't buy the 3rd PG B.S., we could have bring Isaiah Taylor back, hell even sign IT for the vet min he took from Denver.  Doesn't seem like a good use of capspace now to get a 2nd round pick SEVEN YEARS from now.

The mentor thing?   that only works if Lin can GET and STAY on the floor.

Something smells - seems like another move to fill Philips arena with the LinSanity fans for what will be another season of loosing.

(Oh we still have ~$7.5 mil in capspace)

Having said that....I'll withhold overall judgement until the dust has settled and see what else is to come.....cause there has to be something else. This can't be it.

On 7/13/2018 at 8:03 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

Faried and Arthur are ALSO expiring contracts so that doesn't affect our capspace for next season. Faried's contract is a similar amount to Lin's. Faried could also be an option to make a move midseason and he's at least healthy.

On 7/13/2018 at 8:10 AM, JayBirdHawk said:

Faried is an expiring who has been riding the pine in Denver, there's no tension to be had. Heck just buy him out.

The idea is to get an asset now, 2 even 3 years from now, not a 2nd ROUNDER IN SEVEN YEARS.

I hated the Lin trade then, and I hate it still. That Denver 1st AND 2nd would look real good right about now especially since the Cavs pick conveying this year looks like toast just like Lin has so far.

Wasted use of capspace!!!

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 7/13/2018 at 7:49 AM, AHF said:

This does not make a midseason deal easier if we don’t spend over the cap — it actually makes it more difficult because we go from being able to absorb salary to needing the other team to take back Lin.  The amount of salary we can take in is dictated by the cap space + player(s) we trade and it makes the trade no easier if we have a 12M contact when we give up 12M in space.  For a team looking to dump salary, it is better to absorb more of that salary in empty cap space and I’m super skeptical any team will value Lin more than that space.

Given we could easily have a first and second right now that is now the bar for the next move Schlenk makes - he needs to get more value than that with the next step in the chain.

On 7/13/2018 at 8:58 AM, AHF said:

IMO, you can find a fill-in with experience without too much difficulty.  

I am waiting to see even if Dennis is moved whether it is truly connected to this trade or not.  If we move Dennis then I don't combine the trades unless there is something about this trade that made the Dennis move possible other than getting another PG on the roster for us.  We traded a first round pick (Denver) for Lin so that is judged on its own merits unless Schlenk makes another move that this one was a necessary predicate for.

On 7/13/2018 at 9:12 AM, AHF said:

If we deal Dennis and get another point guard will having Len really be worth giving up Denver's 2019 first round pick?  Really?

On 7/13/2018 at 9:22 AM, AHF said:

Denver gave the Nets their 2019 first round pick for taking expiring contracts.  We passed on that deal to take Lin.  I can't for the life of me understand why we would prefer Lin over Denver's 2019 pick.

The lack of a first round pick being mentioned in the trade is the problem.

On 7/13/2018 at 9:24 AM, AHF said:

We take on dead Lin salary so they can make the deal we should have made.  Not only did we pass on the better deal, we enabled our EC rival to do it.  :fie:

Now the only out for Schlenk on this is to come up with another domino to fall that makes this part of a multiple transaction and get a better return than that Denver pick.  Because right now Travis looks like he got schooled on a trade.  Again.

On 7/13/2018 at 9:25 AM, AHF said:

He is an idiot if he passed on Denver's 2019 first round pick so he could take a PG who has played 37 games the last two seasons combined for $12.5M this year.

A terrible move this summer still looks terrible.  No shock.  I’ll get over it if our other moves work out as well as they look like they will do but this was just like taking a $100 bill and burning it when you are trying to save money.

• Like 1

If Lin gets back close to when he was healthy a couple years back it doesn't look so bad. Big if, and I'd still rather have the pick, but worth considering.

If we took the Denver deal I don't believe we'd have the cap to take on Melo/unload Dennis though?

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

If Lin gets back close to when he was healthy a couple years back it doesn't look so bad. Big if, and I'd still rather have the pick, but worth considering.

If we took the Denver deal I don't believe we'd have the cap to take on Melo/unload Dennis though?

1 - Agree that is a big “if.”

2 - Even if he recovers lore still don’t buy it was worth it.

3 - Why can’t we do Melo?  We took on 12.5M in Lin and then still did the deal.

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

1 minute ago, AHF said:

Denver traded Darell Arthur ($7 mil) to Nets as well. 

I would have bought out Plumlee and stretched him if needed if getting rid of Dennis was paramount.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheFuzz said:

36 minutes ago, AHF said:

16 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Denver traded Darell Arthur ($7 mil) to Nets as well. 

I would have bought out Plumlee and stretched him if needed if getting rid of Dennis was paramount.

Or waived and stretched Faried and/or Arthur if it necessitated moving Dennis for Melo.

:approved:

How long is his contract?  Ends at the end of the season, doesn't it?  He hasn't played a full season in 2 or 3 years.  Still cutting off the rust.

As he plays and slowly gets back into NBA shape, Hawks may find someone who needs him really, really bad.  Injuries happen, you know.  Until then, just enjoy the fact that he is here and he's one of ours!

:biggrin: