• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A lot of people projecting us to finish in last place but I really think 35 wins or more is possible

NBASupes

The big issue from last year was our bench was horrendous. This was especially true on the wing. This year we added more wings, hopefully we have better health, and we have better PG talent. People can say what they want about Delaney but he wasn't a NBA player to me. He was an EuroLeague player and at his age, I just couldn't accept that.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Gray Mule said:

JAYBIRDHAWK  - You are correct.  Everything depends on the health of the Hawks AND the health of their opponents.  If, and that's always a very big if, Hawks stay healthy, it will make a huge difference.

Hawk fans are pleased with our 2 draft picks from last season and expect that our three picks this summer will be every bit as good as advertised.  If Dennis and Baze are both here and Lyn is good to go, we expect to struggle in the early part of the season.  If they go, then it will depend on who we get in return.

As constructed right now, Hawks will improve until the second half of the season.  Then, they will be a team to beat, winning their share of games.  If you like offense, high scoring games, come on down!  Do we have a game for you!  We may not win a lot but I expect us to score a lot.

HO ATL HAWKS !!!

I think some fans of this team don't want this team to win and that is why they keep dreaming up these scenarios where Schlenk is going to engineer a roster guaranteed to lose!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Rookie coach and I dont think the team got much better in the draft = 22 wins

Didn't Larry Drew take his team to the playoffs as a rookie coach?  Bud did the same thing as a rookie coach right? 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Didn't Larry Drew take his team to the playoffs as a rookie coach?  Bud did the same thing as a rookie coach right? 

They were both inheriting playoff teams. Coach Pierce is inheriting the team with the third overall pick.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

They were both inheriting playoff teams. Coach Pierce is inheriting the team with the third overall pick.

But there wasn't a drop off because they were rookie coaches.  Plus they both dealt with serious injury problems with their starting line up. If fact Larry drew traded his starting point guard during the season.

• Premium Member
Just now, Peoriabird said:

But there wasn't a drop off because they were rookie coaches.  Plus they both dealt with serious injury problems with their starting line up. If fact Larry drew traded his starting point guard during the season.

"Not much of a drop-off" won't get us to the playoffs. 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Bud's first year they won 6 fewer games than the year before.

Drew's first year they won 9 fewer games than the year before.

Don't know how much is attributable to a rookie head coach or not.  I personally expect some drop-off just because I thought more of Bud than you did.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Didn't say they would make the playoff...I said that they would compete for the playoffs

Unless the eighth seed gets in with a 30 win record we aren't competing for anything next year.

Just now, Atlantaholic said:

Unless the eighth seed gets in with a 30 win record we aren't competing for anything next year.

And I'm actually quite high on this core atm... but just real talk.

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, AHF said:

Bud's first year they won 6 fewer games than the year before.

Drew's first year they won 9 fewer games than the year before.

Don't know how much is attributable to a rookie head coach or not.  I personally expect some drop-off just because I thought more of Bud than you did.

Horford played like 29 games because of a torn pec muscle for Bud.

Marvin missed half the season for Drew and they traded Bibby midway thru the season for Drew.

Plus Bibby was in steep decline

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Schlenk wouldn’t comment on what Lin’s acquisition means for Schröder’s status with the team. But it’s obvious the Hawks want to move on from Schröder, their first-round draft pick in 2013, because otherwise Lin’s deal makes even less sense. Schröder will make $15.5 million next season and no team wants to use $29 million of cap space on point guards, especially not the rebuilding Hawks. 

The Hawks have been trying to trade Schröder for weeks, but haven’t found much of a market for him, according to a person with knowledge of the discussions. Schröder’s poor 3-point shooting and atrocious defense last season hurt his trade value but not as much as his legal troubles, according to people with knowledge of how other teams view Schröder. 

Brookhaven Police arrested Schröder and three other men on misdemeanor battery charges in September. According to court records, the case was transferred to the DeKalb County District Attorney’s office in March with the recommendation that it be prosecuted as felony aggravated battery. The DeKalb DA has not made an announcement on any charges. 

Two people with knowledge of the case said Schröder and his lawyer discussed a settlement with the alleged victim on at least two separate occasions. Internally, Hawks officials have expressed confidence that Schröder won’t end up in jail. But other teams apparently aren’t so sure and thus are reluctant to give up much.

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Horford played like 29 games because of a torn pec muscle for Bud.

Marvin missed half the season for Drew and they traded Bibby midway thru the season for Drew.

Plus Bibby was in steep decline

You asked if the team dropped off - the answer is "yes" in both cases.  How much, if any, of that was attributable to the coaching change?  That is a very debatable topic.  Again, my only thought is that Bud was an outstanding coach who had worked people into his system for multiple years and so I would expect a dropoff related to the coaching change with people having to adapt to a new system and based around the fact that (IMO) as of last season Bud was a well above average coach (which is a high bar for a rookie head coach to hit).  I know you don't think much of Bud, so I expect you will disagree but that is my $.02.

• Moderators

AJC fake news!

My understanding is that term is intended to apply to news that the speaker doesn't like to hear about.

There are a lot of sources that say Dennis is and has been on the block.  No one should be surprised by that given that we just drafted someone who plays the same position using a pick we acquired with our highest draft pick since Marvin Williams.  The proper asking price is a more nuanced discussion topic.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

AJC fake news!

If you say so, but you can't keep burying your head in the sand.

Which part is fake? This....

Two people with knowledge of the case said Schröder and his lawyer discussed a settlement with the alleged victim on at least two separate occasions. Internally, Hawks officials have expressed confidence that Schröder won’t end up in jail. But other teams apparently aren’t so sure and thus are reluctant to give up much in a trade for Schröder. 

Or just the part about them trying to trade him?

I hop onto the bandwagon!! 

As down as I was on Prince at the beginning of last season as high am I now. The work he puts in this offseason is off the charts. He trained with Tatum and Embiid and a bunch of other pros in LA and pushing weights night in night out.

Other than that I'm pretty sure we'll see some stellar performances from Dennis in the beginning because I'm sure as hell he doesn't want to be traded for pennies on the dollar or to a team as back up. 

In hindsight I think we did well in the draft and I have high hopes that a duo of young and hierher actually pans out. 

Dedmon will be solid as always.

My baby boo John Collins gon be a jump-shooting pogo stick this year. I expect his usage to go up tremendously and that he gets comfortable to spot up shoot throughout the season.

About Lin I can't say much other than he seems to be a really nice presence to be around and that he's pretty solid.

The only guy I'm down on is Bembry this year. Totally misjudged him last year by expecting massive jumps of improvement. I think he'll always have more dnp - injury than good games. You simply can't develop by being off the court 80% of the time.

Overall I guess a outcome of 26 wins

vor 5 Minuten, AHF sagte:

My understanding is that term is intended to apply to news that the speaker doesn't like to hear about.

There are a lot of sources that say Dennis is and has been on the block.  No one should be surprised by that given that we just drafted someone who plays the same position using a pick we acquired with our highest draft pick since Marvin Williams.  The proper asking price is a more nuanced discussion topic.

Still its fake news. There have been more credible reports out mentioning that there is a market for Dennis. The issue why he's still here is that ressler and the fo value him higher than the market.