• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Great Hawks and Mavericks Rebuilding Experiment

HawkItus

I like us, Cuban has been trying to get back to contender status since he won with all those vets ( Marion, Butler, Kidd, Chandler, Jet and more ) surrounding Dirk. I don't think he knows how to build with youth which is why he keeps dipping into the FA market; and these past few years has been such a challenge for him.

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

Instead of running it back with Schröder and pairing him with Doncic on the wing, the Hawks chose long-term flexibility (shedding the remaining $45 million on Schröder's deal), future picks, and a blank slate in the short term. They will head into next season with John Collins, Trae Young, Taurean Prince, the ghost of Jeremy Lin, and... not much else to look forward to until the 2019 draft. 

Its going to be a long off season!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Its going to be a long off season!

I think Trae could out perform Doncic after the all-star break if not sooner. The Mavs are putting way to much pressure on him to step right in and be the next great one. Trae has no pressure to win now; Cuban is always about winning now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I like us, Cuban has been trying to get back to contender status since he won with all those vets ( Marion, Butler, Kidd, Chandler, Jet and more ) surrounding Dirk. I don't think he knows how to build with youth which is why he keeps dipping into the FA market; and these past few years has been such a challenge for him.

This cannot be understated.

They're been floundering since that year, if we're being honest.  Throw in the harassment and domestic violence scandals - which have not been resolved yet still - and I'd call them very poorly run, at best.

They, and the league, seemed content to duck their heads and hope the scandals just lose mementum.  With the Urban Meyer thing, the Mavs mess is likely to regain steam.

On court, I don't trust them to select or develop young talent.  How many years were we told about how great Roddy Beaubois was gonna be?  Lucky for them, Doncic should be able to come in and contribute on some level right away.  Maybe that'll keep him from getting riveted to Carlisle's bench.

Long story long, I trust our build far more than theirs and I don't even like Slink.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I love how these teams that owe us draft picks are trying to win just enough game so that the picks will convey.  Thank you Minnesota for winning that last game for nothing.  Looks like Dallas is trying for the 6th position and Cav the 11th spot.  Seems like luck is going the hawks way for a change.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

I love how these teams that owe us draft picks are trying to win just enough game so that the picks will convey.  Thank you Minnesota for winning that last game for nothing.  Looks like Dallas is trying for the 6th position and Cav the 11th spot.  Seems like luck is going the hawks way for a change.

I don't think Dallas is going to be that good. After the break, Cuban may see the writing on the wall and shut them down again. If they have a chance, he will try to make the playoffs. Cleveland wants to win and with their payroll, they should. But if they start moving pieces for peanuts and cap space, that pick may not convey.

It is a long season, right now our picks look safe. But that is right now.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

I don't think Dallas is going to be that good. After the break, Cuban may see the writing on the wall and shut them down again. If they have a chance, he will try to make the playoffs. Cleveland wants to win and with their payroll, they should. But if they start moving pieces for peanuts and cap space, that pick may not convey.

They have a lot of Vets on that team so I think they can outperform Orlando, Phoenix, Sacromento, Knicks, Nets, Hornets, Clippers and Bulls. 

10 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I think Trae could out perform Doncic after the all-star break if not sooner. The Mavs are putting way to much pressure on him to step right in and be the next great one. Trae has no pressure to win now; Cuban is always about winning now.

I'm not sure about that. Trae is a several year investment, and I'm OK with that.  I think his physical and mental learning curve are so much steeper than Doncic that it will take him a couple of seasons for it all to come together. Doncic just has more experience with the professional game, preparation, and even lifestyle.  I suspect if Trae is what we hope his is, his true potential will become more evident in years two and three.  This allows for Trae to mature, build his body and experience. Over the course of both carriers, I really hope he hits that upper level, and supersedes Doncic.

Bottom line for me, I don't think we can judge the trade/trajectories until we get into years 3 & 4 of their rookie deals and the Hawks have cashed in the Mavs pick (whatever that looks like).

1 minute ago, frosgrim said:

I'm not sure about that. Trae is a several year investment, and I'm OK with that.  I think his physical and mental learning curve are so much steeper than Doncic that it will take him a couple of seasons for it all to come together. Doncic just has more experience with the professional game, preparation, and even lifestyle.  I suspect if Trae is what we hope his is, his true potential will become more evident in years two and three.  This allows for Trae to mature, build his body and experience. Over the course of both carriers, I really hope he hits that upper level, and supersedes Doncic.

Bottom line for me, I don't think we can judge the trade/trajectories until we get into years 3 & 4 of their rookie deals and the Hawks have cashed in the Mavs pick (whatever that looks like).

I am reserving judgement on the trade also. I just think Trae is more ready than many give him credit for. I could see him putting together a better rookie season than either of these two draft picks from last season if given similar minutes:

Dennis Smith Jr, and De' Aaron Fox

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I am reserving judgement on the trade also. I just think Trae is more ready than many give him credit for. I could see him putting together a better rookie season than either of these two draft picks from last season if given similar minutes:

Dennis Smith Jr, and De' Aaron Fox

That is possible. And I hope it happens

But if it doesn't, I won't be too worried.

I'm taking the long view on this one.  I rode out the Braves tank, I can ride this one out as well. Heck, I've been an Atlanta sports fan since I can remember, so patience is a necessary virtue.

• Like 1

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Well, they did make the playoffs for the first time in a while based on that game so I wouldn't go quite so far as to say it was for nothing.  If Butler hadn't gotten hurt, it wouldn't have even been in question.  They were the third seed before his injury and he was coming back for the playoffs so it made sense for them to go for it.  

Still thankful for us right along with you!  :approved:

• Like 1

The Mavs aren't making the playoffs barring injuries hitting multiple teams in the West. Doncic isn't going to light up the league Day 1 and he wasn't even doing that in Europe. Smith Jr. will be better but even still, that roster doing anything major. The question really should be how high the pick ends up finishing. If both the Cavs pick and the Mavs pick convey, we could package boty to move up or even leverage a future pick to grab somebody. We'll have to see how the next season plays out, but there's a few guys I'm excited for that also would fill positions of need.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

The Mavs aren't making the playoffs barring injuries hitting multiple teams in the West. Doncic isn't going to light up the league Day 1 and he wasn't even doing that in Europe. Smith Jr. will be better but even still, that roster doing anything major. The question really should be how high the pick ends up finishing. If both the Cavs pick and the Mavs pick convey, we could package boty to move up or even leverage a future pick to grab somebody. We'll have to see how the next season plays out, but there's a few guys I'm excited for that also would fill positions of need.

I'll let Schlenk decide what to do if the picks convey.  He seems to be pretty good at this draft thing.

• Like 1

Completely dismissing our other players that we have.  Gee.  I know that we're not that great.  But, come on man.  Some of the other new guys aren't that bad.  And, we've been told that someone wants Kent B., so he must be kinda good.

Just wait.  We're gonna surprise some people.  That is, if any of these other Hawks are any good.  (And, we believe that they will be)  Trusting our GM, who made the trades and the draft picks, we also must believe in Lloyd Pierce and crew.

All of our building blocks may be in place, or may not be.  We wait.

:biggrin:

3 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Cuban has already caught the some-seeing eye of Silveron with his tank comments last season.  They had to adjust how blatant they were on the court so hopefully they are just as cautious this season too.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, MaceCase said:

Cuban has already caught the some-seeing eye of Silveron with his tank comments last season.  They had to adjust how blatant they were on the court so hopefully they are just as cautious this season too.

Silver has no hammer on this.  Can't openly talk about it in public but nothing stopping serious tanking if a team wants to do so.

9 minutes ago, AHF said:

Silver has no hammer on this.  Can't openly talk about it in public but nothing stopping serious tanking if a team wants to do so.

I believe Dallas and especially Cuban is the exception given the annoying relationship he's had with NBA commissioners.  After he was fined a half mil for his comments the Mavs, tied for pole position in the tank race, won 25% of their total wins down the stretch.  If there's any team that could receive some actual scrutiny, it would be them.

Here’s a novel concept: both approaches are paths to success. In a few years Doncicio & Co have Mavs back in the middle of the playoff bunch just a FA or trade away from challenging for the WCFs. As does Très in the East. They’re not mutually exclusive ?