• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Great Hawks and Mavericks Rebuilding Experiment

HawkItus

31 minutes ago, hazer said:

Here’s a novel concept: both approaches are paths to success. In a few years Doncicio & Co have Mavs back in the middle of the playoff bunch just a FA or trade away from challenging for the WCFs. As does Très in the East. They’re not mutually exclusive ?

No we are not. I do think Cuban has been floundering for quite a while in attracting free agents to Big D.

26 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Question:

If Trae and Luka, from a star standpoint, are basically on the same level, who wins the trade?

We do. That extra pick gives us a shot at another star or could be a asset that nets us one in a trade.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

Completely dismissing our other players that we have.  Gee.  I know that we're not that great.  But, come on man.  Some of the other new guys aren't that bad.  And, we've been told that someone wants Kent B., so he must be kinda good.

Just wait.  We're gonna surprise some people.  That is, if any of these other Hawks are any good.  (And, we believe that they will be)  Trusting our GM, who made the trades and the draft picks, we also must believe in Lloyd Pierce and crew.

All of our building blocks may be in place, or may not be.  We wait.

:biggrin:

Read It all the way up to there.:laugh: Seriously though Baze is so inconsistent if we keep him he might just surprise me and play great. With Vince Carter mentoring him maybe he can teach him to not be so clumsy & hone that energy into great plays. Our squad is young at a lot of points but atleast 2 of our young guys Prince and Coliins are formidable players. Overall there is hard to pick out a weak link on the team going atleast about 12 deep. Don't get that last statement confused we have players that have weaknesses but no real weak links. Plumlee may possibly be our weakest link but as an athletic big who is really BIG he can be very serviceable the way our team is currently constructed. Catch alley's, rebound, dunk and defend and I think we all will be pretty satisfied with Plumlee.

SAYING ALL THAT TO SAY I AGREE WITH GRAY MULE WE'RE GOING TO BE A BIG SURPRISE THIS UP AND COMING SEASON I DON'T THINK THE NBA EVEN SEES IT COMING BUT I'M SURE THEY'LL FIND A WAY TO TAKE CREDIT FOR IT.

THEY'LL PROBABLY SAY SOMETHING LIKE I KNEW THEY WERE GOING TO BE THE WARRIORS OF THE EAST AS SOON AS THEY WERE DRAFTED. :cute:THEY MIGHT EVEN GO AS FAR AS COMPARING THE TRAE/DONCIC DRAFT TO THE DRAFT WHERE RICKY RUBIO GOT CHOSEN BEFORE STEPHEN CURRY.

CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SEASON TO START "I'M ROOTING FOR THE A-T-L-A-N-T-A H-A-W-K'S!!

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Question:

If Trae and Luka, from a star standpoint, are basically on the same level, who wins the trade?

If they are equally good or Trae is better, Atlanta wins - maybe big.  If Trae isn’t better, you compare that talent gap versus what the pick turns into.

I’m gonna say we win the trade 70% factoring in both Trae being better than Doncic as a player in 5 years and the extra Mav 2019 pick. 

I still do believe Doncic is a special player like Trae but Trae fit our city/culture and dang it everyone was ? about the Cp3 thing and we almost had to make it right with the ? Gods. Conversely, Doncic was our Pistol Pete. 

Ill tell ya though, that Dallas pick next year will be HUGE. I just really wish there was no top 5 protect on it because I really want to root against them from day ☝️ and I will anyways but we have to make sure they don’t bottom out.

I honestly believe 5-7 legitimate all ⭐️/superstars came out of the 2018 draft.

In no particular order

Bagley

Trae

Doncic

Ayton

Bamba

etc.

GO HAWKS!!!

:biggrin: :approved:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

I’m gonna say we win the trade 70% factoring in both Trae being better than Doncic as a player in 5 years and the extra Mav 2019 pick. 

I still do believe Doncic is a special player like Trae but Trae fit our city/culture and dang it everyone was ? about the Cp3 thing and we almost had to make it right with the ? Gods. Conversely, Doncic was our Pistol Pete. 

Ill tell ya though, that Dallas pick next year will be HUGE. I just really wish there was no top 5 protect on it because I really want to root against them from day ☝️ and I will anyways but we have to make sure they don’t bottom out.

I honestly believe 5-7 legitimate all ⭐️/superstars came out of the 2018 draft.

In no particular order

Bagley

Trae

Doncic

Ayton

Bamba

etc.

GO HAWKS!!!

:biggrin: :approved:

Trae fit our city/culture?   I'd like to hear this explanation. 

5 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Trae fit our city/culture?   I'd like to hear this explanation. 

Don’t play naive. Atlanta is the civil rights capital of the world, hip-hop mecca, largest African American upper middle class in the U.S., African American political power breeding ground (check mayors since 1974), so on and so forth. It’s self explanatory. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hazer said:

Don’t play naive. Atlanta is the civil rights capital of the world, hip-hop mecca, largest African American upper middle class in the U.S., African American political power breeding ground (check mayors since 1974), so on and so forth. It’s self explanatory. 

I think Ressler has the right idea to attract younger fans. Us old people do not like driving downtown as much. The younger generation has no problem with it. When I was 18 to 20 something, I was downtown almost every weekend going to clubs ( Underground Atlanta ), concerts, and Hawks games.

Traffic was still brutal and Atlanta was just starting to be labeled one of the murder capitals of the U.S.; my friends and I did not flinch. If there was something fun happening, we went.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I think Ressler has the right idea to attract younger fans. Us old people do not like driving downtown as much. The younger generation has no problem with it. When I was 18 to 20 something, I was downtown almost every weekend going to clubs ( Underground Atlanta ), concerts, and Hawks games.

Traffic was still brutal and Atlanta was just starting to be labeled one of the murder capitals of the U.S.; my friends and I did not flinch. If there was something fun happening, we went.

Bad boys!

Just now, Spud2nique said:

Bad boys!

It was just the way it was and we were going with our girlfriends quite a bit. Not so much sporting events; but the clubs and concerts for sure. They were there for a good time as well.

Just now, Buzzard said:

It was just the way it was and we were going with our girlfriends quite a bit. Not so much sporting events; but the clubs and concerts for sure. They were there for a good time as well.

That’s good and meanwhile across the country in the Bay Area I was going to digital underground concerts in oaktown and san Jo. not realizing I was in the golden era of rap. I appreciated it but prolly not as much as I should have then. To be young!

• Like 2

Just now, Spud2nique said:

That’s good and meanwhile across the country in the Bay Area I was going to digital underground concerts in oaktown and san Jo. not realizing I was in the golden era of rap. I appreciated it but prolly not as much as I should have then. To be young!

I was in the golden age of rock. We moved to Atlanta in 1974 when I was 16. Perfect timing for fun; but really bad timing for school work! I wish I would have used a camera back then. That was a great era in America. My sister has pictures of some of us wearing bell bottom jeans but not enough to make a good photo album.

2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I was in the golden age of rock. We moved to Atlanta in 1974 when I was 16. Perfect timing for fun; but really bad timing for school work! I wish I would have used a camera back then. That was a great era in America. My sister has pictures of some of us wearing bell bottom jeans but not enough to make a good photo album.

? that’s pretty dope Buzz. I thought you were in your early 40’s. Cool stuff with the ? bottoms I only caught a glimpse of them when they came back around in the 90’s. I wasn’t hating the look on the ladies at all! ? 

• Like 1

I’m 47 and go to about 1-2 games a year, concerts at Tabernacle/Phillips/Centennial Park, etc. With my wife, teenage kids, friends, all the time still. But yeah, bit of a hassle for us Gen X-ers but not for the wave of Millennials living intown. I’m that white northern suburbs unicorn they gave up on ? 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, hazer said:

I’m 47 and go to about 1-2 games a year, concerts at Tabernacle/Phillips/Centennial Park, etc. With my wife, teenage kids, friends, all the time still. But yeah, bit of a hassle for us Gen X-ers but not for the wave of Millennials living intown. I’m that white northern suburbs unicorn they gave up on ? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Question:

3 considerations - 

1) The 5th pick costs 1.2 million less per year than the 3rd.  So the value of the 5th pick if = to the 3rd is 1.2 million better of a player at another slot.

2) By the 4th year, the deal is up to a 1.9 million difference.

3) The Hawks get a pick that will be somewhere between 6-20, a fair bet of about 13. The Hawks got Taurean at 12. This pick slots around 3.2 million year one.

Okay so I now made some assumptions.  I assumed a pick for the Hawks next year at pick 5. Dallas next year at pick 12, Cleveland next year at pick 15. (these picks affect "total salary" minimum if only off but a few slots). I'm assuming Plumlee and Baze are on the team all year.

Given this year's roster and 3 picks next year and assuming a cap next year of $108 million.

This year we are exactly $3.929 million over the cap. This is the short sighted nonsense that idiots like Simmons look at in their podcasts. But going into next year, based on the current roster we'd have 12 slots filled (this includes draft picks), 3 open slots and $34.2 million in available cap (after picks sign).

This is an extremely enviable position going forward considering only 3 or 4 teams have a shot in hell of competing this year.  You can't look at the Trae and Luka deal as only Trae vs Luka.   It is Trae + #12(ish) next year for Luka and almost an exact 0 cap difference. (because the #12 would have been a vet min. Vet min - 12 almost exactly the difference between 3 and 5 this year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hazer said:

Vol has been on that 'play naive' tip whenever someone mentions a 'culture' thing.

That said, I don't think that was a factor in drafting Young at all.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Question:

I would say Atlanta wins.  Hawks are paying less in salary for Trae on his rookie deal than Luka plus the Dallas pick incoming to use on a drafted player or in a trade regardless of where the pick falls.

• Like 1