• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Great Hawks and Mavericks Rebuilding Experiment

HawkItus

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Vol has been on that 'play naive' tip whenever someone mentions a 'culture' thing.

That said, I don't think that was a factor in drafting Young at all.

It wasn’t the why, but Spud was talking about fitting the city and culture. Which Très definitely does.

• Like 2

On 8/3/2018 at 11:01 PM, hazer said:

Don’t play naive. Atlanta is the civil rights capital of the world, hip-hop mecca, largest African American upper middle class in the U.S., African American political power breeding ground (check mayors since 1974), so on and so forth. It’s self explanatory. 

What about Kevin Heuter? Does he fit the culture or is he too white?

So getting back on topic . . .

I think Doncic has a much better chance to look good early, because he's surrounded by a few vets who can teach him the game.   But unless both Dennis and Luka can rapidly develop, they're not going to be that good.   That's probably why I'd start both Dennis and Luka together, right away, to see if they can build some chemistry with each other.

As for Trae, he has to start from Day 1 now, with Schröder gone.  We can play him and Lin both at the same time, just to give us 2 playmakers in the game.  The team has to make it easier for Trae to score though.   All of that dribbling to find his shot isn't going to fly once he gets into the league.  He has to get more of his shots off of spot up looks, like Curry does. 

The big thing about the rebuild, is that the Hawks must get that superstar player either in the summer of 2019 or 2020.  If we can't get that offensive game changer, I'm leaning more and more to throwing the house at Draymond Green.  I think especially if Golden State wins another title, he may have a big enough ego to leave the Warriors, and see if he can be successful outside of that franchise, just to see if his legacy can be enhanced even more.

And of course, he'd have no problem finding Trae for open shots, just like he does with Curry.  And he'd instantly become the leader of the team.

8 hours ago, bleachkit said:

What about Kevin Heuter? Does he fit the culture or is he too white?

I think The Heurt is going to be a good player for us. But he’s not going to be a “star”. Or 2nd option. So to answer your question, yes. There’s several layers to the culture ????????

8 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

So getting back on topic . . .

I think Doncic has a much better chance to look good early, because he's surrounded by a few vets who can teach him the game.   But unless both Dennis and Luka can rapidly develop, they're not going to be that good.   That's probably why I'd start both Dennis and Luka together, right away, to see if they can build some chemistry with each other.

As for Trae, he has to start from Day 1 now, with Schröder gone.  We can play him and Lin both at the same time, just to give us 2 playmakers in the game.  The team has to make it easier for Trae to score though.   All of that dribbling to find his shot isn't going to fly once he gets into the league.  He has to get more of his shots off of spot up looks, like Curry does. 

The big thing about the rebuild, is that the Hawks must get that superstar player either in the summer of 2019 or 2020.  If we can't get that offensive game changer, I'm leaning more and more to throwing the house at Draymond Green.  I think especially if Golden State wins another title, he may have a big enough ego to leave the Warriors, and see if he can be successful outside of that franchise, just to see if his legacy can be enhanced even more.

And of course, he'd have no problem finding Trae for open shots, just like he does with Curry.  And he'd instantly become the leader of the team.

The Hawks should have just drafted him like I wanted them to do back in 2012.  I identified him in the predraft process as a player who was going to go lower than he should because he did not pop athletically.  He wasn't the ESPN highlight machine that suckers most of the fans here.  He had an undervalued skill level, and he was my favorite prospect for the Hawks during that draft.

18 minutes ago, KB21 said:

The Hawks should have just drafted him like I wanted them to do back in 2012.  I identified him in the predraft process as a player who was going to go lower than he should because he did not pop athletically.  He wasn't the ESPN highlight machine that suckers most of the fans here.  He had an undervalued skill level, and he was my favorite prospect for the Hawks during that draft.

Did you also predict that he'd have teammates that allow him to succeed the way he has?  'Cause if you think he'd be this "good" on a team where he'd be relied upon more heavily then I've got some beachfront property for sale.

I'll give you a great price.  Oh ignore that Macon, GA zipcode on the property address.  That's just for tax purposes.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Did you also predict that he'd have teammates that allow him to succeed the way he has?  'Cause if you think he'd be this "good" on a team where he'd be relied upon more heavily then I've got some beachfront property for sale.

I'll give you a great price.  Oh ignore that Macon, GA zipcode on the property address.  That's just for tax purposes.

Draymond Green would be a great player anywhere.  His overall defense, passing, and basketball intelligence isn't just there because he plays alongside Steph Curry and Kevin Durant.  With his skill set, Draymond has a better chance of doing well outside of the Warriors structure than Klay Thompson does, IMO.

4 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Draymond Green would be a great player anywhere.  His overall defense, passing, and basketball intelligence isn't just there because he plays alongside Steph Curry and Kevin Durant.  With his skill set, Draymond has a better chance of doing well outside of the Warriors structure than Klay Thompson does, IMO.

Don't over-use "great".  He would be a useful player anywhere.  An all-star anywhere?  Nope, only in his current surroundings.

GS is a perfect storm from which guys like Green, Thompson and Kerr benefit mightily.

We don't disagree significantly on Thompson although I would expect that he could end up in a favorable situation more readily than Green.

What I mean by that is he could end up on a bad team but still put up numbers that would lead people to believe he's still a good player.  He could average high-20's and fool people into thinking he's an all-star.  Green couldn't do that putting up 10's (pts), 7's (reb) and 5's (asts) on a bad team although he could presumably be contributing more.  If that makes sense.

I'm not a Klay fan.  He can't 'get his own' which is what a guy in his position would need to be able to do in order to be truly 'great'.  Of course he's talented so he has games/quarters where he blows up but I think he benefits from being lower on teams' scouting reports.

• Like 1

I largely agree with the SI article in terms of the relevant considerations and the pros-and-cons for both teams. At this point, just have to wait to see how it plays out. Could be a homerun for both teams, a homerun for one team and a disaster for the other, reasonably good deals for both teams, largely inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, or anything in between. So much depends on how Luka and Trae perform over the next few years and what happens with the Mavs pick. I was highly skeptical of the deal on draft night, but who knows. For the time being, I'm going to refrain from having an opinion until I see how things play out a bit further...here's hoping Trae comes through and the Mavs' pick conveys and turns into a quality player for us.

Both players, teams, and paths could pan out. It’s not one or the other, not mutually exclusive. And we got a 1st to go along with it ?

• Premium Member

First Hawks game at the newly renovated Philips Arena (what's the new name gonna be)...... Wednesday October 24th vs the Mavs - 7:00PM, ESPN

Trae Young vs Luka Doncic....Let's Go!

Rest of schedule so far:

Wednesday, Oct. 17 - at Knicks - 7:30 pm ET
Friday, Oct. 19 - at Grizzlies - 8:00 pm ET
Sunday, Oct. 21 - at Cavaliers - 6:00 pm ET
Wednesday, Oct. 24 - vs. Mavericks - 7:00 pm ET - ESPN
Saturday, Oct. 27 - vs. Bulls - 7:30 pm ET
Monday, Oct. 29 - at 76ers - 7:00 pm ET
Tuesday, Oct. 30 - at Cavaliers - 7:00 pm ET
Thursday, Nov. 1 - vs. Kings - 7:30 pm ET
Saturday, Nov. 3 - vs. Heat - 7:30 pm ET
Tuesday, Nov. 6 - at Hornets - 7:00 pm ET
Wednesday, Nov. 7 - vs. Knicks - 7:30 pm ET
Friday, Nov. 9 - vs. Pistons - 7:30 pm ET

Sunday, Nov. 11 - at Lakers - 9:30 pm ET
Tuesday, Nov. 13 - at Warriors - 10:30 pm ET
Thursday, Nov. 15 - at Nuggets - 9:00 pm ET
Saturday, Nov. 17 - at Pacers - 7:00 pm ET
Monday, Nov. 19 - vs. Clippers - 7:30 pm ET
Wednesday, Nov. 21 - vs. Raptors - 7:30 pm ET
Friday, Nov. 23 - vs. Celtics - 7:30 pm ET
Sunday, Nov. 25 - vs. Hornets - 6:00 pm ET
Tuesday, Nov. 27 - at Heat - 7:30 pm ET
Wednesday, Nov. 28 - at Hornets - 7:00 pm ET
Friday, Nov. 30 - at Thunder - 8:00 pm ET
Monday, Dec. 3 - vs. Warriors - 7:30 pm ET
Wednesday, Dec. 5 - vs. Wizards - 7:30 pm ET
Saturday, Dec. 8 - vs. Nuggets - 7:30 pm ET
Wednesday, Dec. 12 - at Mavericks - 8:30 pm ET
Friday, Dec. 14 - at Celtics - 7:00 pm ET

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

First Hawks game at the newly renovated Philips Arena (what's the new name gonna be)...... Wednesday October 24th vs the Mavs - 7:00PM, ESPN

Trae Young vs Luka Doncic....Let's Go!

Rest of schedule so far:

Wednesday, Oct. 17 - at Knicks - 7:30 pm ET
Friday, Oct. 19 - at Grizzlies - 8:00 pm ET
Sunday, Oct. 21 - at Cavaliers - 6:00 pm ET
Wednesday, Oct. 24 - vs. Mavericks - 7:00 pm ET - ESPN
Saturday, Oct. 27 - vs. Bulls - 7:30 pm ET
Monday, Oct. 29 - at 76ers - 7:00 pm ET
Tuesday, Oct. 30 - at Cavaliers - 7:00 pm ET
Thursday, Nov. 1 - vs. Kings - 7:30 pm ET
Saturday, Nov. 3 - vs. Heat - 7:30 pm ET
Tuesday, Nov. 6 - at Hornets - 7:00 pm ET
Wednesday, Nov. 7 - vs. Knicks - 7:30 pm ET
Friday, Nov. 9 - vs. Pistons - 7:30 pm ET

Sunday, Nov. 11 - at Lakers - 9:30 pm ET
Tuesday, Nov. 13 - at Warriors - 10:30 pm ET
Thursday, Nov. 15 - at Nuggets - 9:00 pm ET
Saturday, Nov. 17 - at Pacers - 7:00 pm ET
Monday, Nov. 19 - vs. Clippers - 7:30 pm ET
Wednesday, Nov. 21 - vs. Raptors - 7:30 pm ET
Friday, Nov. 23 - vs. Celtics - 7:30 pm ET
Sunday, Nov. 25 - vs. Hornets - 6:00 pm ET
Tuesday, Nov. 27 - at Heat - 7:30 pm ET
Wednesday, Nov. 28 - at Hornets - 7:00 pm ET
Friday, Nov. 30 - at Thunder - 8:00 pm ET
Monday, Dec. 3 - vs. Warriors - 7:30 pm ET
Wednesday, Dec. 5 - vs. Wizards - 7:30 pm ET
Saturday, Dec. 8 - vs. Nuggets - 7:30 pm ET
Wednesday, Dec. 12 - at Mavericks - 8:30 pm ET
Friday, Dec. 14 - at Celtics - 7:00 pm ET

Nice! I’ll be in the house nov 13 and Jan 30! 

GO HAWKS!

The schedule release day gives me the tingles ? 

15 on the road & 13 at home.  And, 5 of the first 7 are road games.  This seems to be the pattern for us.  Oh, well. 

Winning 20 requires losing 3 out of 4 games.  Do you believe this Hawk team is capable of doing this?

:aggressive:

10 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

15 on the road & 13 at home.  And, 5 of the first 7 are road games.  This seems to be the pattern for us.  Oh, well. 

Winning 20 requires losing 3 out of 4 games.  Do you believe this Hawk team is capable of doing this?

There will be stretches were we lose 3/4 during the season but in the end more like 2.5/4 ?. We will win more than 20 imo although keep in my our QB Trae is the leader at the most difficult position to grasp as a rookie so he will take some bumps and bruises but those will go away, the experience he earns from them will most likely not.

LETS GO HAWKS!!!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

We are playing roadies early because they'll be completing renovations at Philips.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 8/3/2018 at 11:57 AM, Buzzard said:

I think Trae could out perform Doncic after the all-star break if not sooner. The Mavs are putting way to much pressure on him to step right in and be the next great one. Trae has no pressure to win now; Cuban is always about winning now.

Buzzard with the first spot on prediction of this thread.  😏

I'm really hoping people go back and read the nonsense they were saying just 10 months ago.

• Like 3

On 8/3/2018 at 10:57 AM, Buzzard said:

I think Trae could out perform Doncic after the all-star break if not sooner. The Mavs are putting way to much pressure on him to step right in and be the next great one. Trae has no pressure to win now; Cuban is always about winning now.

100% accurate 

• Like 1

One more pick from the Mavs to play with. I think this draft is a lot like the ones in which Klay Thompson, Myles Turner, Paul George, and Kawhi Leonard were in. There is a diamond waiting on us at 8 and/or 10.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

One more pick from the Mavs to play with. I think this draft is a lot like the ones in which Klay Thompson, Myles Turner, Paul George, and Kawhi Leonard were in. There is a diamond waiting on us at 8 and/or 10.

I 100% agree. I think we have the system, personnel and coaching to unlock these types that are boom or bust prospects.