DBac

2019 Draft

Recommended Posts

Might as well get this started, Hawks are gonna be picking in the lottery one way or another.

 

Hawks assets:

Own first round pick (Vegas projects Hawks to finish with worst record in NBA)

Mavs first round pick (Top 5 protected, they won't make the playoffs though)

Cavs first round pick (Top 10 protected. Cavs look like they are seriously going to try to make the playoffs. We'll see where this stands by the trade deadline)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give me Cam Reddish all day!  I think he'll be a perfect complement to Trae.  He's one of, if not, the best shooter in this class.   It would be pretty amazing if the Hawks ended up with Cam Reddish, RJ Barrett, and Daniel Gafford or Bol Bol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marco102 said:

Give me Cam Reddish all day!  I think he'll be a perfect complement to Trae.  He's one of, if not, the best shooter in this class.   It would be pretty amazing if the Hawks ended up with Cam Reddish, RJ Barrett, and Daniel Gafford or Bol Bol.

From the bit I've seen I like Cam Reddish a lot too. I really just hope he doesnt get lost in the shuffle at Duke.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My early sleeper at the Mavs pick is Romeo Langford. A true potential two way player with no real weaknesses in his game other than average athleticism. 6’6” SG with a 6’11” wingspan and solid defensive fundamentals. He’s a good shooter & ball handler from the 2 spot. Cam Reddish scares me. He’s got the tools, but he’s not as good defensively as he should be. He is a very good ball handler and solid shooter. I’ve said this before but I think he’s more Nicolas Batum/Rudy Gay combo than KD, which isn’t bad at all. The little bit I’ve seen leads me to believe he mentally checks out at times.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the 4:25 mark it gets interesting.  I would not be opposed to any of the players he wants.  I actually think it would be a very solid squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, marco102 said:

At the 4:25 mark it gets interesting.  I would not be opposed to any of the players he wants.  I actually think it would be a very solid squad.

That entire scenario is based on a lot of ifs.  If everything works out the way they want it to and they get the 1st, 6th, and 11th picks in the draft.  If Trae Young and John Collins develop.  If Kevin Huerter and Omari Spellman prove to be at least rotational pieces.  This is the biggest if of all here.  If you make the right picks with those 3 first round picks.  

The fact is, based on empirical data, out of the 6 picks the Hawks have in the first round over the 2018 and potentially 2019 draft, the chances are that only 2 of those players will end up being either what you would expect from that pick or better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

That entire scenario is based on a lot of ifs.  If everything works out the way they want it to and they get the 1st, 6th, and 11th picks in the draft.  If Trae Young and John Collins develop.  If Kevin Huerter and Omari Spellman prove to be at least rotational pieces.  This is the biggest if of all here.  If you make the right picks with those 3 first round picks.  

The fact is, based on empirical data, out of the 6 picks the Hawks have in the first round over the 2018 and potentially 2019 draft, the chances are that only 2 of those players will end up being either what you would expect from that pick or better.

Okay,  I just said it would be a solid squad. Never talked about the likely hood of it happening.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Okay,  I just said it would be a solid squad. Never talked about the likely hood of it happening.

 

You have to take into account the likelihood of something happening, because it is foolish to base your entire future on what ifs.  This is why the strategy the Hawks have undertaken with Travis Schlenk is foolish.  They are banking on the idea that he's going to draft over a 3-4 draft period the way the Warriors drafted from 2009-2012.  Drafting like that is the ONLY way this process will get the results some of you are apparently EXPECTING, and it is also the most unlikely outcome that will result from this process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KB21 said:

You have to take into account the likelihood of something happening, because it is foolish to base your entire future on what ifs.  This is why the strategy the Hawks have undertaken with Travis Schlenk is foolish.  They are banking on the idea that he's going to draft over a 3-4 draft period the way the Warriors drafted from 2009-2012.  Drafting like that is the ONLY way this process will get the results some of you are apparently EXPECTING, and it is also the most unlikely outcome that will result from this process.

If you would stop discussing tanking, that would make everyone's life a lot easier.  Point blank simple.  Stop with your agenda.  I was simply saying those players would make for an interesting team.  Like you keep saying JJJ would be the best player in this years draft.   No one knows what will happen.  Just my take on the prospects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, marco102 said:

If you would stop discussing tanking, that would make everyone's life a lot easier.  Point blank simple.  Stop with your agenda.  I was simply saying those players would make for an interesting team.  Like you keep saying JJJ would be the best player in this years draft.   No one knows what will happen.  Just my take on the prospects.

If you want to wander in the wilderness, that's your choice.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If you want to wander in the wilderness, that's your choice.  

Yes, let's instead pay Millsap 30 million to lead us to another first round exit.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:
5 hours ago, KB21 said:
If you want to wander in the wilderness, that's your choice.  

 

Yes, let's instead pay Millsap 30 million to lead us to another first round exit.

.....and?

Another first round exit is much better than perpetually being a doormat team that barely wins 20 games.  John Collins is a better player in year three by having Paul Millsap around for his first two years than he will be in year three with him being thrown into the fire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

.....and?

Another first round exit is much better than perpetually being a doormat team that barely wins 20 games.  John Collins is a better player in year three by having Paul Millsap around for his first two years than he will be in year three with him being thrown into the fire.

 

You can't be sure of that. I can just as easily say Collins develops more being able to play more minutes at PF instead of having to come off the bench or play the majority of his minutes at center.

 

Perhaps these draft picks won't pan out, but if we can get at least two starter quality players out of Young, Spellman, Huerter and the 4 picks we have next year, this rebuild will leave us in a much better position than we started in. That's not hard to believe in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Exactly how does that put the Hawks into a better position than they were in?

You are mad that we didn't keep a team together headlined by Paul Millsap, Dennis Schröder and Dwight Howard. I'd much rather have whoever else pans out between Young, Huerter, Spellman or our three picks potentially next year in addition to the guys we've kept in Bazemore, Prince and Collins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, nathan2331 said:
10 hours ago, KB21 said:
Exactly how does that put the Hawks into a better position than they were in?

 

You are mad that we didn't keep a team together headlined by Paul Millsap, Dennis Schröder and Dwight Howard. I'd much rather have whoever else pans out between Young, Huerter, Spellman or our three picks potentially next year in addition to the guys we've kept in Bazemore, Prince and Collins

No.  I'm mad that they decided to adopt a strategy that doesn't work.  I'm fine with rebuilding, but at least attempt to be competitive when you rebuild.  It's a lot easier to go from 35 wins to 55 wins than it is to go from 20 wins to 55 wins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

No.  I'm mad that they decided to adopt a strategy that doesn't work.  I'm fine with rebuilding, but at least attempt to be competitive when you rebuild.  It's a lot easier to go from 35 wins to 55 wins than it is to go from 20 wins to 55 wins.

 

Last year we could've won 30+ games just by playing Plumlee less minutes and not buying out Ilyasova. Or by not shutting down Bazemore and Schröder to play G-leaguers. But that wouldn't have done anything for our future but get us a worse draft pick.

 

We were not that bad of a team. But why go win, 30 games just to pick behind the Knicks? That doesn't help anybody. Players can develop in losing situations if they are still put in the right positions to develop. Philly's rebuild took so long because they kept using their top picks on center's who couldn't play together, and then on rookie's who had injury problems to begin their careers. Then you add a circus of management problems that also have killed free agents interests in signing their and the Process has been held back even further. But the plan worked, they've drafted talented players and now they are in as good of a position as anyone to make the Finals in the East.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FFS! 2019 NBA Draft. On the Draft Forum. Stop de-railing the threads with your moaning.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

FFS! 2019 NBA Draft. On the Draft Forum. Stop de-railing the threads with your moaning.

The fact that it is very much unlikely that the Hawks will end up with three star players or even contributors in the 2019 draft is very much a part of the topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another guy I would like if we have a late lottery selection is Johntay Porter. I wanted him this year at 19, but I think him returning is a good thing. He was in bad physical shape and gets a chance to really work on his weaknesses after going through the combine process. He’s a high IQ two way big that can stretch the floor, pass, and play defense. His only weaknesses are subpar athleticism and questions about his ability around the basket. If he can improve his body and improve finishing around the basket, this guy would be an easy All Star and a fantastic fit with what we’re trying to do as a team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.