• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2019 Draft

DBac

Another guy I would like if we have a late lottery selection is Johntay Porter. I wanted him this year at 19, but I think him returning is a good thing. He was in bad physical shape and gets a chance to really work on his weaknesses after going through the combine process. He’s a high IQ two way big that can stretch the floor, pass, and play defense. His only weaknesses are subpar athleticism and questions about his ability around the basket. If he can improve his body and improve finishing around the basket, this guy would be an easy All Star and a fantastic fit with what we’re trying to do as a team.

I feel like we already have that in Spellman. Porter showed more in college, but Spellman had to play next to three NBA caliber players. I don't know how big of a role Spellman will have this year, but I think he could surprise us if he gets a chance 59 play.

28 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:
3 hours ago, EazyRoc said:
Another guy I would like if we have a late lottery selection is Johntay Porter. I wanted him this year at 19, but I think him returning is a good thing. He was in bad physical shape and gets a chance to really work on his weaknesses after going through the combine process. He’s a high IQ two way big that can stretch the floor, pass, and play defense. His only weaknesses are subpar athleticism and questions about his ability around the basket. If he can improve his body and improve finishing around the basket, this guy would be an easy All Star and a fantastic fit with what we’re trying to do as a team.

I feel like we already have that in Spellman. Porter showed more in college, but Spellman had to play next to three NBA caliber players. I don't know how big of a role Spellman will have this year, but I think he could surprise us if he gets a chance 59 play.

Spellman may work out and he may not. I guess you can look at Johntay Porter being an all around better version and taller at 6’11”. Even if Spellman does work out, I think Porter would be better.

• 3 weeks later...

What about Rui Hachumura with Ginzaga?  I was watching highlight s of him in the tournament and the kid is a beast scoring on the block & slashing to the hoop  His weaknes is supposed to be his 3 point shot but he has good form.  The guy also seems like he would be a good defensive player (think of Durant on Defense,).  He will be a junior this year & will turn 21 in February. I like the kid alot snd hope he does well enough to up his frsft stock 

• 1 month later...

Way too early to say anything.  The incoming Freshman are months out of high school.  Nobody has seen them play at the next level.  Need to January before any sort of legit claims or opinions can be formed.

• 3 weeks later...

I was on Zion 2 years ago in a big way...then fell off 6 months ago ...and now back on. I like his presence alone. Now if landed for example the 5th pick in the draft, our own and Dallas’s 8th, again hypothetical slots, would you trade those two to move up to #2 for a guy like Zion? 

2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

The fans that like Zion as a prospect are all about flash and very little substance.  

Normally I’d agree which is why I got off his wagon until we drafted Isiah Thomas I mean Trae Young. He’s the perfect table setter for a Zion type, so I’m back on it. You see Dr. you should prolly actually know this, much like the body works in unison as does a basketball ? team when constructed. Which is why I love the Trae pick over a 6th man at Michigan State who rode his dad’s coattails to the league. Now, we have a capable point guard, why not double up with an animal ? finisher like Zion?

31 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Normally I’d agree which is why I got off his wagon until we drafted Isiah Thomas I mean Trae Young. He’s the perfect table setter for a Zion type, so I’m back on it. You see Dr. you should prolly actually know this, much like the body works in unison as does a basketball ? team when constructed. Which is why I love the Trae pick over a 6th man at Michigan State who rode his dad’s coattails to the league. Now, we have a capable point guard, why not double up with an animal ? finisher like Zion?

Because that "finisher" has no position and a very limited overall skill level.  If you want to use what will be a top 3 pick on a 6'5" center, then by all means, go after Zion Williamson.  

I'd prefer to get a wing that actually has an elite skill level though and can play strong defense.  

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

Because that "finisher" has no position and a very limited overall skill level.  If you want to use what will be a top 3 pick on a 6'5" center, then by all means, go after Zion Williamson.  

I'd prefer to get a wing that actually has an elite skill level though and can play strong defense.  

I want Barrett or Zion desperately..I’ll take Reddish and Langford and backup prizes. 

8 hours ago, DBac said:

I still like Reddish the most, but he's gonna get iced out at Duke. Won't get to show his offensive game, hopefully he stays engaged on defense because he's tremendous on that end.

Bummed that Jontay Porter tore his ACL.

Reddish is the best fit among those Duke players for what the Hawks want to do.  He's the most skilled guy, best shooter......I do have concerns about how he tends to fade as far as his engagement to the game.  

Zion is a complete nonstarter for me.  He has no position and a very limited overall skill level.

RJ Barret is a great slasher, but I'm not convinced he can shoot.  

DeAndre Hunter from Virginia may be the guy I like the most.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So should the Hawks be interested in Bol Bol? (Question for your college experts)

No.  His frame is terrible.  He's below average relative to functional athleticism, and his skill set does not off set this.  He also has issues with his motor.

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

So should the Hawks be interested in Bol Bol? (Question for your college experts)

I love him for the simple fact that his dad signed a shirt for me at Vallco mall in the Bay Area in 1988 when I was 12. Manute was sitting and I remember being stunned at his height while sitting. I had always watched the Warriors games back then but I think he may have been one of the first players I ever saw up close and live. Hell of a shot blocker and an even better human being. When I think about Manute and Dikembe, I honestly think “real a$$ humans” that care about people.

As far as his son goes, I have to agree with Dr. House on this one, I don’t love his body structure, he is slow (yes even for a big), immobile, and I’m not sure he has the fire ? inside his belly. I might consider him if it’s around pick 10 somewhere but even then I’d still prefer Gafford by a mile.

ps It would be pretty awesome to have a Bol Hawks jersey though I will say that.

3 hours ago, KB21 said:

Reddish is the best fit among those Duke players for what the Hawks want to do.  He's the most skilled guy, best shooter......I do have concerns about how he tends to fade as far as his engagement to the game.  

Zion is a complete nonstarter for me.  He has no position and a very limited overall skill level.

RJ Barret is a great slasher, but I'm not convinced he can shoot.  

DeAndre Hunter from Virginia may be the guy I like the most.  

Agreed except for Hunter. He reminds me of OG which is a lotto pick and a nice piece but not a draft prize.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, KB21 said:

No.  His frame is terrible.  He's below average relative to functional athleticism, and his skill set does not off set this.  He also has issues with his motor.

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

I love him for the simple fact that his dad signed a shirt for me at Vallco mall in the Bay Area in 1988 when I was 12. Manute was sitting and I remember being stunned at his height while sitting. I had always watched the Warriors games back then but I think he may have been one of the first players I ever saw up close and live. Hell of a shot blocker and an even better human being. When I think about Manute and Dikembe, I honestly think “real a$$ humans” that care about people.

As far as his son goes, I have to agree with Dr. House on this one, I don’t love his body structure, he is slow (yes even for a big), immobile, and I’m not sure he has the fire ? inside his belly. I might consider him if it’s around pick 10 somewhere but even then I’d still prefer Gafford by a mile.

ps It would be pretty awesome to have a Bol Hawks jersey though I will say that.

:good:

• Like 1