• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Prince's extension

mrhonline

• Premium Member

Normally, you don't worry about these kinds of things this early in the season, but we all know this year is about development and securing a high pick, so...

I was thinking about a possible extension for Prince next offseason.  There are several reasons why I think the Hawks might get good value from one:

1. Prince would be in his prime during the extended years.

2. He'll be coming off what is almost certainly going to a terrible year team-wise.

3. The Hawks have clearly committed to making him an real part of the offense, something most other teams wouldn't do.

4. If he chose to go the "wait a year and try RFA" route, he'd be hitting the market at the same time as the younger, more playoff-proven Jaylen Brown.

5. He comes from a desperately poor situation and probably would be a bit risk averse...

Just thinking out loud. Feel free to mumble incoherently in response.

• Like 1

I think he's better as a 15-16 PPG 3rd option but there is no doubt that his ball handling and ability to score off the bounce is better than thought (I still don't like the ball handling though). 

He's not going to be the defender and glue guy thought of, but this was always possible because of Baylor's dumb zone scheme. Because of it, it was impossible to truly evaluate him for a while. There was times in his rookie year where you could tell that his muscle memory was still on the zone schemes when he played. So you really didn't know then. Maybe there's more in him though on D if he were to take a lesser role on offense and focus more on it, but I doubt it'd be Carroll like. So those comps need to get trashed.

This is the kind of stuff you need to figure out during 18/19 though. Prince might be better off as a 6th man, but at some point you need to see how he looks in a bit of a lesser role with more focus on D. If he gets better there, and as Kevin Huerter gains confidence he looks like a good glue guy and defender with a good jumpshot at SG, then you might have 4 of the starters settled.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • Premium Member

So after a less than ideal 1st half of the season. TP reversed course and played well to end the season. What is his standing on the team?

From the Athletic:

Q: Do you think it’s likely the Hawks will move Taurean Prince? What is his trade value? With his ability to shoot (and sometimes create offense), it seems he could’ve really helped a number of teams in the playoffs this year. 

A: I think Prince’s trade value likely won’t go up much more than what it currently is right now. I think he could net a mid- to late-first-round pick in return.

During his exit interview with the media, Schlenk said he’ll speak with Prince’s agent when that time comes to see if a deal can be worked out in regards to his eligibility of a rookie extension this summer. That doesn’t necessarily mean a deal will get done, and Schlenk wouldn’t say directly whether he sees Prince as part of the foundational core.

Said Schlenk, “I’ve stated this many times, and I honestly believe this, he’s one of the best spot-up shooters in the NBA. That’s what every team is looking for, so I have no problem with Taurean as a player, and I can see him being a part of this team.”

Said Schlenk, “I’ve stated this many times, and I honestly believe this, he’s one of the best spot-up shooters in the NBA. That’s what every team is looking for, so I have no problem with Taurean as a player, and I can see him being a part of this team.”

• Like 1