• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official 2019 Draft thread

Sothron

17 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

They have us getting Reddish and Hunter.

I would be ecstatic, but there’s zero chance of us landing both.

1 hour ago, hazer said:

I would be ecstatic, but there’s zero chance of us landing both.

That’s a near perfect draft for me. Chances are like 3% that happens. Hunter won’t last and Cam might not either 😔 

11 hours ago, AHF said:

Man, I’ll be disappointed if our top pick is Hachimura.  Can’t lie.  Don’t feel like there is any star potential there.  But Schlenk has earned the benefit of the doubt so if he takes him at 8 then I’ll know he really believed in him and that I’m likely missing something.

Double back and look again too re: star potential. He’s just a fundamentally sound scorer, doesn’t rely on his gifts to create his shots, and is a very hard worker. He has no deficiencies athletically being a B level pro athlete. He’s already a guy who can get buckets I think even against NBA talent and he’s still developing as a late comer to basketball. He’s got as much potential as a guy like Doumbouya, but is much more projectable due to his run in the NCAA. 

This guy is going to be an absolute steal at 8.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Double back and look again too re: star potential. He’s just a fundamentally sound scorer, doesn’t rely on his gifts to create his shots, and is a very hard worker. He has no deficiencies athletically being a B level pro athlete. He’s already a guy who can get buckets I think even against NBA talent and he’s still developing as a late comer to basketball. He’s got as much potential as a guy like Doumbouya, but is much more projectable due to his run in the NCAA. 

This guy is going to be an absolute steal at 8.

You're speaking my language this time, ER.  Folks also gotta remember who was the best looking player in that Duke v Gonzaga game earlier in the year.  Hint: it wasn't anyone from Duke.  Hach had his way that game (as did Clarke but I digress).

AH commented that he saw J. Porter as a guy who'll be in the league 10+ years due to his skillset.  I say that guy's Hachimura.  He'll be a solid pro.  The 10-12 range would be perfect for him.  That's where I think we might've lucked out dropping.  We'll end up with the type of player we need rather than another shot-n-the-dark "potential" guy.

• Like 1

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, kg01 said:

You're speaking my language this time, ER.  Folks also gotta remember who was the best looking player in that Duke v Gonzaga game earlier in the year.  Hint: it wasn't anyone from Duke.  Hach had his way that game (as did Clarke but I digress).

AH commented that he saw J. Porter as a guy who'll be in the league 10+ years due to his skillset.  I say that guy's Hachimura.  He'll be a solid pro.  The 10-12 range would be perfect for him.  That's where I think we might've lucked out dropping.  We'll end up with the type of player we need rather than another shot-n-the-dark "potential" guy.

I'm thrilled to get a 10 year rotation guy in the second round.  I'm not with our #8 pick.  

21 years old and undersized is a bad start to a prospect profile for me.  Add in the fact that he is an underwhelming rebounder and isn't a great defender today and I grow even colder.  How do you stand only 6'8'' and are known for struggling with the pick and roll and expect to be a successful NBA defender?  His wingspan is nice for his height but hasn't led to him being any kind of deterrent around the basket.  The guy averaged only 0.5 blocks in college - a total of 50 blocks in 102 games!  Yikes.  I'd be more excited if he was projected to play SF but he isn't and I can imagine how undersized we would be with Hachimura and Collins in the frontcourt and it isn't pretty.  

Seems like it is going to be a tough fit even offensively for a guy who only took 36 college length 3's last season but I recognize that sometimes college teams limit the perimeter play of their forwards and centers ala Collins in college so I expect workouts will better define his range.  Offensively, though, how do you fit when you aren't an explosive athlete, are undersized and don't have a consistent jumper?

It would be less painful for me with the #10 pick if we already swung for the fences at 8 but I'm pretty certain there will be people I like better on the board at both picks.

Put me down in the hater category, I guess.  I don't hate him as a player but hate him as a top 10 pick.

On 5/22/2019 at 2:53 PM, hazer said:

I’d much rather have Cam and Sekou than RJ minus an asset.

I completely agree.  Outside of Zion i don't see anyone worth two lottery picks, especially with the quality of player TS has found at the 19.  I don't think RJ is a big enough difference maker to pass on several other small forwards.  Cam and Sekou seem to duplicative in skill with Cam having the lower floor and Sekou a potentially higher ceiling.

I won't be surprised at all if RJ is a Pelican next because the Knicks or Lakers trade the 3 or 4 in a deal for AD.

Bol's foot scares the hell out of me he could be an amazing stretch 5 or Greg Oden 2.0.   I don't think Hayes is a future all star but he does bring rim protection, rebounding, and trey throwing monster alley oops to him and collins would be highlight factory redux.  

If hayes is there at ten i still want him, just because he fits a huge need.  I would love to see Prince and some second rounders possibly move us back in to grab sekou or someone like Huerter or Collins we might not be talking about but TS spots another diamond that is sliding and trades back in mid first and grabs then.

21 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'm thrilled to get a 10 year rotation guy in the second round.  I'm not with our #8 pick.  

21 years old and undersized is a bad start to a prospect profile for me.  Add in the fact that he is an underwhelming rebounder and isn't a great defender today and I grow even colder.  How do you stand only 6'8'' and are known for struggling with the pick and roll and expect to be a successful NBA defender?  His wingspan is nice for his height but hasn't led to him being any kind of deterrent around the basket.  The guy averaged only 0.5 blocks in college - a total of 50 blocks in 102 games!  Yikes.  I'd be more excited if he was projected to play SF but he isn't and I can imagine how undersized we would be with Hachimura and Collins in the frontcourt and it isn't pretty.  

Seems like it is going to be a tough fit even offensively for a guy who only took 36 college length 3's last season but I recognize that sometimes college teams limit the perimeter play of their forwards and centers ala Collins in college so I expect workouts will better define his range.  Offensively, though, how do you fit when you aren't an explosive athlete, are undersized and don't have a consistent jumper?

It would be less painful for me with the #10 pick if we already swung for the fences at 8 but I'm pretty certain there will be people I like better on the board at both picks.

Put me down in the hater category, I guess.  I don't hate him as a player but hate him as a top 10 pick.

I get what you’re saying and as a PF I think his ceiling drops considerably. 

The game changer for me is I believe in him as a SF long term. He’s got to improve his handle but I see potential there. I think he can defend well enough on the perimeter to play the 3 too.

Dude is likely going to be a very good perimeter shooter. His stroke looks very good and very consistent. I think he translates into a 36%+ perimeter shooter in the NBA where the shot is more encouraged. He has a good first step, great coordination, good strength, and excellent skills around the basket to immediately be a guy who can attack close outs. 

Long term, I see him being a very good ISO scorer and a rare 3 level scorer with the added ability to post up most other SFs.

Of course he does have a few warts one of which you’ve already brought up. His feel for the game will take time to improve as he hasn’t been playing ball against top competition for very long. This makes his improvements, in my eyes, more significant because it is a testament to his work ethic. He’s still not likely to be an impact defender.

I don’t think you’re a hater. I began to look at him differently just last night. I am probably one of the few who believes he can play the 3 spot and that’s where his game best translates to stardom.

54 minutes ago, ThomasCredle said:

I completely agree.  Outside of Zion i don't see anyone worth two lottery picks, especially with the quality of player TS has found at the 19.  I don't think RJ is a big enough difference maker to pass on several other small forwards.  Cam and Sekou seem to duplicative in skill with Cam having the lower floor and Sekou a potentially higher ceiling.

I won't be surprised at all if RJ is a Pelican next because the Knicks or Lakers trade the 3 or 4 in a deal for AD.

Bol's foot scares the hell out of me he could be an amazing stretch 5 or Greg Oden 2.0.   I don't think Hayes is a future all star but he does bring rim protection, rebounding, and trey throwing monster alley oops to him and collins would be highlight factory redux.  

If hayes is there at ten i still want him, just because he fits a huge need.  I would love to see Prince and some second rounders possibly move us back in to grab sekou or someone like Huerter or Collins we might not be talking about but TS spots another diamond that is sliding and trades back in mid first and grabs then.

Yup, Schlank probably has a wang in his cross-hairs he knows he can get 11-14 and might be thinking of using pick 10 and Printz to trade back. Snag that player, add a future lottery pick that'll be valuable when you start making playoffs (next year), tah dah!

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, kg01 said:

AH commented that he saw J. Porter as a guy who'll be in theleague 10+ years due to his skillset.  I say that guy's Hachimura.  He'll be a solid pro.  The 10-12 range would be perfect for him.  That's where I think we might've lucked out dropping.  We'll end up with the type of player we need rather than another shot-n-the-dark "potential" guy.

I need more from a top 10 pock though, than just a solid 10 year career. 

I need a potential Kawhi at #8.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, EazyRoc said:

I get what you’re saying and as a PF I think his ceiling drops considerably. 

The game changer for me is I believe in him as a SF long term. He’s got to improve his handle but I see potential there. I think he can defend well enough on the perimeter to play the 3 too.

Dude is likely going to be a very good perimeter shooter. His stroke looks very good and very consistent. I think he translates into a 36%+ perimeter shooter in the NBA where the shot is more encouraged. He has a good first step, great coordination, good strength, and excellent skills around the basket to immediately be a guy who can attack close outs. 

Long term, I see him being a very good ISO scorer and a rare 3 level scorer with the added ability to post up most other SFs.

Of course he does have a few warts one of which you’ve already brought up. His feel for the game will take time to improve as he hasn’t been playing ball against top competition for very long. This makes his improvements, in my eyes, more significant because it is a testament to his work ethic. He’s still not likely to be an impact defender.

I don’t think you’re a hater. I began to look at him differently just last night. I am probably one of the few who believes he can play the 3 spot and that’s where his game best translates to stardom.

If we want him, I hope we trade down for him.  

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Your prolly not getting a Kawhi in this draft. Cam Culver or Sekou but none are really Kawhi’s I don’t think.

56 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Yeah, I can agree with that.  Sounds better coming from you than it does from *ugh* AHF.

I should say that I do expect much more from Hachimura than just a 10-yr career though.

I guess I'm still at (8) Reddish and (10) Bitazde.

Just now, Spud2nique said:

Your prolly not getting a Kawhi in this draft. Cam Culver or Sekou but none are really Kawhi’s I don’t think.

Kawhi wasn't Kawhi when he was coming out of SDSt though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Yeah, I can agree with that.  Sounds better coming from you than it does from *ugh* AHF.

I should say that I do expect much more from Hachimura than just a 10-yr career though.

I guess I'm still at (8) Reddish and (10) Bitazde.

Kawhi wasn't Kawhi when he was coming out of SDSt though.

No doubt but even the raw skill set of these guys doesn’t seem like a Kawhi to me. You got a tmac in Cam. Sekou could be a quicker Siakam...Culver could be George lite. I dunno. I’m just glad you didn’t put me on ignore buddy! 😆 

7 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

No doubt but even the raw skill set of these guys doesn’t seem like a Kawhi to me. You got a tmac in Cam. Sekou could be a quicker Siakam...Culver could be George lite. I dunno. I’m just glad you didn’t put me on ignore buddy! 😆 

... I didn't? 😌

I gotta do some diggin' on Sekou.  Is he a Julius Randle-type?  Has some nice tools.  Would I like him more than Goga?  Probably not, right?

19 minutes ago, kg01 said:

... I didn't? 😌

I gotta do some diggin' on Sekou.  Is he a Julius Randle-type?  Has some nice tools.  Would I like him more than Goga?  Probably not, right?

First off, I don’t understand you liking Goga. I mean he’s not your personal prototype guy. And on the Sekou front, that guy from the other country, I forgot his name, gave us enough Sekou clips..I mean shoved down our collective throats to last a lifetime. Sekou looks good.

im hooked on Cam, Culver, and Clarke myself. Gimme two of the three C’s and I’m good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, kg01 said:

... I didn't? 😌

I think his ceiling is expected to be more poor-man's Giannis than Randle.  Has plus defensive tools, is a strong finisher in transition and decent form on his jumper but is pretty raw.  Youngest guy in the draft as well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think his ceiling is expected to be more poor-man's Giannis than Randle.  Has plus defensive tools, is a strong finisher in transition and decent form on his jumper but is pretty raw.  Youngest guy in the draft as well.

Wow poor man’s Giannis? 😲