• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2019 Las Vegas Summer League Thread

JayBirdHawk

5 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Example = Dion Glover won a Summer League MVP quite a few years ago. He did what after that?

Dion Glover thing gets old. Summer league does matter but it's how you do it, not what you do that matters more. 

There is a lot of love from Memphis for how JJJ did it last year and how Trae did it from LP. But not a lot of love for Spellman even those what he did was decent statlines. 

For SL, how you do it is king. What you did is meaningless. Knox stats in SL look decent, how he did it was pure trash and I see a bust. 

hace 10 minutos, sturt dijo:

I'm not sure what it proves that any of those "played really well."

Just proves that Centers can shine in summer league that was the initial discussion. What I am saying is that a guy that is unable to produce ar summer league most likely is not going to produce at NBA that season, Young was ineffective but produced at summer league on points and assists

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

Just proves that Centers can shine in summer league

"Can" wasn't really the point.

Whether or not their play/numbers is/are actually meaningful is the point.

What Pierce said yesterday was right... it's a crap shoot in SL especially for post players.

Thus, you can't take much from it, either way.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sturt said:

"Can" wasn't really the point.

Whether or not their play/numbers is/are actually meaningful is the point.

What Pierce said yesterday was right... it's a crap shoot in SL.

Thus, you can't take much from it, either way.

Main point for me is we get some roundball to witness with a home team tie at a time of year there is no other option. Fun and games and I usually enjoy a lot of it.

• Like 1

hace 8 minutos, Thomas dijo:

Example = Dion Glover won a Summer League MVP quite a few years ago. He did what after that?

Summer league MVP after 3 seasons on NBA can be reasonably expected.

Summer league MVP on rookie season, watch out the guy!!

Lack of production, foul prone at summer league... Don't think there is a guy showing that on summer league that has done a good first season at NBA 

As I said my disapointment comes from the fact that I was expecting a contributor this year, capable of playing 20 min, what was wrong was my expectations, I am fine with the guy at 2nd round, I just thought we got the steal of the draft....

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

Young was ineffective but produced at summer league on points and assists

Plus at the beginning of the of the regular season, Trae struggled much like he did in the summer so there was some corelation.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

Just proves that Centers can shine in summer league that was the initial discussion. What I am saying is that a guy that is unable to produce ar summer league most likely is not going to produce at NBA that season, Young was ineffective but produced at summer league on points and assists

Young had a good Vegas to me. His shot wasn't there but the same playmaking and skills was on display. The SL lacks spacing to the 10th degree so plays got limited space to operate in.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Peoriabird said:

Plus at the beginning of the of the regular season, Trae struggled much like he did in the summer so there was some corelation.

Trae didn't struggle to me in Vegas or Oct. November and Utah was a mess though. His playmaking was limited by his turnovers and his defensive effort that month and in Vegas was WOAT.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, Thomas said:

we get some roundball to witness with a home team tie

Yes.

I'll take the first game results of preseason to be more meaningful than all of the summer league games put together... simply because the guys you take to SL are mostly guys who will, at best, play in G-League, and who have been cobbled together and had a very few practices together... it's just not a prescription for giving you any substantive takeaways, particularly for the post players.

I'll add... at least for those who played top tier D1 basketball, there's almost nothing in SL that should ever, in any way, detract from conclusions derived from their last season in college.

2 hours ago, gurpilo said:

You can tell that to Kabengele, Mitchell Robinson, Tony Bradley or even Gafford that have played really well... Yesterday's performance was really disapointing and is hard to envision him contributing if he is performing like this on the summer league. We should temper our expectations.

I don't think expectations are too high right now or people wouldn't be asking for another center that can eat up some minutes.

• Premium Member
57 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I don't do bets but College Park should be his home at least till December. Once December comes, he should get chances

After seeing Huerter in preseason, I was sure he was headed to the GLeague for the year. He took Baze's starting spot 2 months into the season.

Bruno may yet spend time in the GL, but I won't be so quick in my assessment again.

45 minutes ago, gurpilo said:

Don't think there is a guy showing that on summer league that has done a good first season at NBA 

Tim Duncan didn't look like an NBA player in SL. Just saying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

After seeing Huerter in preseason, I was sure he was headed to the GLeague for the year. He took Baze's starting spot 2 months into the season.

Bruno may yet spend time in the GL, but I won't be so quick in my assessment again.

Tim Duncan didn't look like an NBA player in SL. Just saying.

Totally agree.  I know, I'm scared too.  Never thought this would happen to us.  The whole 'agreeing' thing.  Feels wrong.

• Haha 2

I knew Jaxson Hayes was athletic but not like this! I’m just shocked at how fast he moves and how high he’s able to jump. 

I will admit I didn’t want him in Atlanta but pairing him by Collins may have been a great idea. You can tell Hayes has some very high upside defensively and switching won’t be a problem for him. If he ever gets a jumper watch out! May be gobert with some better offense 

• Like 2