• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

So what's the ripple effect of KD's injury?....

REHawksFan

First, I'll just say that regardless of anyone's feelings toward GSW, it sucks for KD and the NBA that he suffered this injury.  Who knows when he'll be back and if he'll be fully healthy and back to his elite level of play.  For those of us that enjoy elite basketball, we all lose with this injury.  

With that said, what is the ripple effect and how does it impact the Hawks?  Or does it?

At the very least there's 1 less SF on the market this FA and the Hawks currently have NONE on the roster.  No, the Hawks were never going to (in all likelihood) sign KD but peter principle suggests his loss from the market elevates everyone else one spot - whether FA or draftee.  

Does KD sit out next year all together?  Radio guy this morning was asking if KD would even be comfortable signing with another team and using their doctors to recover.  Does the injury make it more likely he resigns with GSW?  Does that impact Klay and the Dubs ability to sign him?  

OR does KD still sign with BKN or NYK?  Or does he wait until 2020?  IF so, is that good for the Hawks?  

How about the trade scenario?  IS NYK even more motivated to get a deal done for AD now that KD isn't a possibility on the court for this season?  Does that help the Hawks?  Supes indicated ATL could be involved in an AD to NYK trade last night.  If the Knickerbockers are more motivated to get a deal done, maybe they overpay for a Hawks asset?  I dunno.  

Just curious what y'all think the fallout will be from the KD injury?  Would teams like BKN or NYK be willing to sign KD to a long term, max contract knowing he'll sit out the first year and not knowing how he'll recover?  I would assume so but not sure.  

Thoughts?

It’s farther-teaching than anyone can predict right now.  Sh@ts crazy.  If the Warriors come out initially and say it’s an Achilles strain, there’s no pressure on KD to return.  Out a month for a calf strain was bad optics for someone already in a constant struggle with fan and media perception, but KD should know any team suiting him this offseason would know the real deal anyway.  I totally commend him for giving it a go, the Warriors don’t win Game 5 without his super-efficient spurt, but it wasn’t the most prudent decision on his part.

He’s been far more durable than most would’ve predicted coming out of college.  Unfortunately the downside of his career will be sped up greatly as his sleight frame is catching up with him on the wrong side of 30 years old.

It will effect the trade market, especially the AD trade market. 

People can say otherwise but it will. That shit ruined the NBA. The Warriors owe a lot of money to the NBA

Glad we made the deal when we did for #17

12 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

It will effect the trade market, especially the AD trade market. 

People can say otherwise but it will. That shit ruined the NBA. The Warriors owe a lot of money to the NBA

Glad we made the deal when we did for #17

Was thinking the same about our trade. But I'm unsure if the impact to the trade market is necessarily bad. It could fuel more aggressive trades for AD which could be good for some teams (Hawks maybe?).  

51 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

I forgot KD has a player option for next season.  IF he decides to execute that and get paid to rehab the GSW may not have the money to offer Klay the max.  Could the Hawks be a player?  

That would be a terrible decision for Kevin. His value is at his highest with his perception. A year from now, his perception is completely different. This is a real shit situation and i wish KD had better people in his corner.

Let's be honest, he will get max offers from Indy, Dallas, Milwaukee and Utah. Those teams will offer no matter what as their max are usually for much lesser players. I also think the Lakers would offer as well. The Knicks and Nets will have to really think about it

This could also change the market for AD. Assume LAs, both NY teams and GS don't want to offer the full max for 4 years. 

That opens the door for Utah, Atlanta, Dallas, Milwaukee,  Indy as well. So it's a game changer

16 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Let's be honest, he will get max offers from Indy, Dallas, Milwaukee and Utah. Those teams will offer no matter what as their max are usually for much lesser players. I also think the Lakers would offer as well. The Knicks and Nets will have to really think about it

So you believe someone will still max him out with the injury? That's playing with a very large deck of cards IMO. I think he stays in GSW another and maybe extends at this point

24 minutes ago, IheartVolt said:

So you believe someone will still max him out with the injury? That's playing with a very large deck of cards IMO. I think he stays in GSW another and maybe extends at this point

Yes. Without question. I don't have any insight at the moment but my belief is they would. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, IheartVolt said:

I 100% agree with Supes on this.  He is an MVP who is in his early 30's.  He will get someone to gamble on his healthy with that upside and will get a max deal.  I'd rather gamble on that than someone like John Wall.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

I 100% agree with Supes on this.  He is an MVP who is in his early 30's.  He will get someone to gamble on his healthy with that upside and will get a max deal.  I'd rather gamble on that than someone like John Wall.

Don't disagree re: KD vs Wall.  BUT it is a gamble.  I'm sure someone will do it, but it's risky.  There's an article in the NY Post already that says NYK likely shouldn't or wouldn't gamble.  That they may continue the slow approach and wait until 2020 to try to get KD (assuming he opts in with GS). 

I just figure he can sit at home and collect $32M while rehabbing and still have all of the NBA drooling over him in 2020.  I don't really buy the argument that his stock is somehow going to drop over the next 12 months while rehabbing.  I mean, if that's true then the NBA execs that sign him (or try to) this summer aren't really doing their jobs.  

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Plenty of teams will offer him the max. I don't think this changes things all that much for him contractually, but he will have to red shirt the first year of the deal.

It's an expensive rehab but i agree.  plus he still has the ability to attract other free agents with his impending return.  I don't see this affecting his long term effectiveness as much as a guy like Nique.  But it still sucks.  definitely changes his career.    I wonder if he'll try the cousins route? 

5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

It's an expensive rehab but i agree.  plus he still has the ability to attract other free agents with his impending return.  I don't see this affecting his long term effectiveness as much as a guy like Nique.  But it still sucks.  definitely changes his career.    I wonder if he'll try the cousins route? 

KD has two important traits in his favor, he's very tall/long and he can flat out shoot. But he will have less explosion jumping off that right leg. It's well worth the risk to get a generational talent.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

Don't disagree re: KD vs Wall.  BUT it is a gamble.  I'm sure someone will do it, but it's risky.  There's an article in the NY Post already that says NYK likely shouldn't or wouldn't gamble.  That they may continue the slow approach and wait until 2020 to try to get KD (assuming he opts in with GS). 

I just figure he can sit at home and collect $32M while rehabbing and still have all of the NBA drooling over him in 2020.  I don't really buy the argument that his stock is somehow going to drop over the next 12 months while rehabbing.  I mean, if that's true then the NBA execs that sign him (or try to) this summer aren't really doing their jobs.  

The reason his stock could be at risk if he opts into a one year deal instead of getting a full max is if something goes bad during the rehab.  It isn't risk free for him and I'd guess he will want to lock in more than a single year.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, REHawksFan said:

Or he can also sit at home and collect $38 million and not worry about rushing his rehab proving he's healthy next season.

• Like 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Or he can also sit at home and collect $38 million and not worry about rushing his rehab proving he's healthy next season.

Yep.  More money next season.  Guaranteed big money ahead.  Pretty certain that is what we are going to see.