• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

So what's the ripple effect of KD's injury?....

REHawksFan

32 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Or he can also sit at home and collect $38 million and not worry about rushing his rehab proving he's healthy next season.

Well sure, if he has a guarantee of that $38M then that works. There's already an article in the NY Post questioning whether the NYK should take the gamble and offer him a max deal for multiple years.  So it's at least out there.  Teams may not be willing to offer the max deal without knowing how he'll recover.  Just a thought.  

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Or he can also sit at home and collect $38 million and not worry about rushing his rehab proving he's healthy next season.

I think the decision on this was made before he played.  That he would opt in and get the supermax next year.  He is in GS for the long run.

In doing so, Durant would be able to opt out in the summer of 2019, when the Warriors will retain his full Bird rights, and sign a super max deal that would be the largest deal in NBA history at 5-years and $219 million.

https://warriorswire.usatoday.com/2018/04/11/kevin-durant-discount-contract-free-agancy-warriors/

3 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Opt in to punish the Warriors for pushing him out on the court and then leave next season.   But he doesn't want to be hated in GS I'm sure.  He's already hated in one state. 

My thinking as well. Negligence on the park of Kerr and crybaby Bob Meyers. 🧁 make them pay.

21 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

My thinking as well. Negligence on the park of Kerr and crybaby Bob Meyers. 🧁 make them pay.

Where's all the players who were leaking discord to the media 2 day ago about being upset about him not playing?

14 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The Warriors would be nuts to give Durant the supermax but i bet New York will.  Durant will never be the same after this injury!

Disagree.  You're telling me athleticism is a big part of his game?  He won't be shorter or a worse shooter.  Nique had a about a 5% drop off and he was older and more reliant on his athletic ability.

• Premium Member
54 minutes ago, HawkItus said:

Disagree.  You're telling me athleticism is a big part of his game?  He won't be shorter or a worse shooter.  Nique had a about a 5% drop off and he was older and more reliant on his athletic ability.

His defense would suffer while the injuries would start to mount in the future

7 hours ago, bleachkit said:

KD has two important traits in his favor, he's very tall/long and he can flat out shoot. But he will have less explosion jumping off that right leg. It's well worth the risk to get a generational talent.

Completely agree.

This guy tore his Achilles too.  A guy who was known for his athleticism.  But he also knows how to score the basketball, so the transition to a semi-below the rim player was easy for him.  I think Durant will be able to do everything you see in this video.  And if he can, he's still worth the max.

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Completely agree.

This guy tore his Achilles too.  A guy who was known for his athleticism.  But he also knows how to score the basketball, so the transition to a semi-below the rim player was easy for him.  I think Durant will be able to do everything you see in this video.  And if he can, he's still worth the max.

Matter of fact . . . the Hawks may as well toss their hat into the Durant ring.   Offer him the max, and try to sell him on our young core as a place where he can be the veteran leader of a nice up and coming team.  Also sell him on the fact that the media isn't going to be all over him if he comes to ATL ( outside of the NBA on TNT gang ).

If he signs, you sit him out for the ENTIRE 2019 - 2020 season, and bring him back in 16 months.

22 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Hawk fans are funny...no one was pushing to sign him until he got hurt.  lol!

Literally the entire board was good with signing him with the exception of the few with a personal dislike for him. Just no one believed it was an option until he got hurt. And really, it probably still isn't. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Hawk fans are funny...no one was pushing to sign him until he got hurt.  lol!

I think the narrative was more like no one thought we would even remotely have a shot at him, if he were healthy.  I'm sure NY and the Lakers still would roll the dice for him, but other teams might blink, if they have to trade major assets to get him.  The Hawks would have nothing to lose, even if Durant didn't get back to pre-injury levels.   Having 3 years of an All-Star caliber KD ( but maybe not superstar caliber ) wing to play alongside Trae and the youngstas, would be great for all of them.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I think the narrative was more like no one thought we would even remotely have a shot at him, if he were healthy.  I'm sure NY and the Lakers still would roll the dice for him, but other teams might blink, if they have to trade major assets to get him.  The Hawks would have nothing to lose, even if Durant didn't get back to pre-injury levels.   Having 3 years of an All-Star caliber KD ( but maybe not superstar caliber ) wing to play alongside Trae and the youngstas, would be great for all of them.

No Thanks!

I'd be all for throwing Durant the max. It's not like we're doing anything with the money this year and giving KD the option to rest all of next year if necessary and having him come back as healthy as possible beats any other realistic scenario in regards to free agent signings next year. 90 - 95% of KD is still better than 90% of the league. The only thing I would ask of him this coming year is to be at the home games to be in the ear of Trae and Collins.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, LucastheThird said:

I'd be all for throwing Durant the max. It's not like we're doing anything with the money this year and giving KD the option to rest all of next year if necessary and having him come back as healthy as possible beats any other realistic scenario in regards to free agent signings next year. 90 - 95% of KD is still better than 90% of the league. The only thing I would ask of him this coming year is to be at the home games to be in the ear of Trae and Collins.

What happens if he doesn't come back healthy or his body begins to break down because he is 30 plus years old?  Then what?  Why rush this process?  There will be other better opportunities in the future

32 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

What happens if he doesn't come back healthy or his body begins to break down because he is 30 plus years old?  Then what?  Why rush this process?  There will be other better opportunities in the future

Why do anything with that logic? Everything has a possible negative consequence, but we have a situation where KD won't have to have a large workload with two other offensive weapons in Trae and Collins (both with another year under their belts)