• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Masai Uriji proves that elite GMing is needed

NBASupes

If we learned one thing about GS, it takes a great organization to built a dynasty. From top to bottom, GS was the class of the league. Their FO had Myers, Jerry West, Travis Schlenk, ownership, etc. The one thing we seen with Toronto winning was elite GMing is critical. Masai didn't built this overnight. He wasn't the best GM at contracts. He wasn't even the best at decision making but he was elite at aura, negotiations, eye for talent, using his scouts to a great degree and the willingness to never give up. He didn't give up on the core because it wasn't a fit. He realize he had an ace in Lowry and knew he needed to get a superstar (the right superstar) to get him to this level. Unlike Danny Ferry, his star for talent is superior. It was able to give him the assets to trade for a Leonard which the Hawks never had a chance when they were so close but so far away. 

To me, leadership top to bottom matters but elite GMing is king. I love Travis. He is the best GM I've seen in Atlanta in ages. Now he hasn't really put us in a championship position yet but he is working tirelessly to do it and he is realizing you must have the assets when the time is right. We have a core in Trae, Kevin and John but our true core starts with LP, Travis and Chelsea. These are the stars with Travis and Chelsea having championship experience. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Before the Kawhi trade, there were rumblings Toronto was going to blow it after they got steam rolled by Lebron, again last year.  

Luck is also a helluva thing - If Zaza never injures Kawhi 2 years ago, he may never have asked out of San Antonio. He came back to haunt the Warriors.

Pop wanting an established player in return for Kawhi in lieu of young players and picks was a boon to Toronto.

One thing, you have to have, player(s)/assets that teams are going to want to trade you their stars for.

Masai did draft well.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Before the Kawhi trade, there were rumblings Toronto was going to blow it after they got steam rolled by Lebron, again last year.  

Luck is also a helluva thing - If Zaza never injures Kawhi 2 years ago, he may never have asked out of San Antonio. He came back to haunt the Warriors.

Pop wanting an established player in return for Kawhi in lieu of young players and picks was a boon to Toronto.

One thing, you have to have, player(s)/assets that teams are going to want to trade you their stars for.

Masai did draft well.

Luck is a critical part of roster building. We had some luck to get #3, #10, 2018 #19, Kevin without moving up, etc. 

But aggressiveness matters. We made the Nets trade right on time. 

Ferry had a chance to get Giannis and missed on him. This would be a completely different franchise right now. 

Ferry had a poor eye for talent. He draft busts like A. Payne and while he had to insight and luck to trade him to MIN, the others he didn't have much luck getting players back for.

Just imagine of Luke P was a bust, he showed signs of a potential starter with Toronto with high BBIQ. He was a major chip in landing Leonard for Toronto. We never had that player or the young assets so when the time came, the players broke us up in the end.

In reference to this subject am thinking Travis has already proven we are in extremely good shape here. Thought he was a smart hire and was happy when he came here but am much, much more than that now.  

• Like 2

You have so many dysfunctional organizations that it is great to have a solid GM.

don't know much about ujiri.  Looks like he is nigerian but not yoruban, mom was Kenyan.  Looks like he had to work for everything he ever got.

I remember that people really questioned this move, but it panned out so far.

Just now, kerrypack said:

You have so many dysfunctional organizations that it is great to have a solid GM.

don't know much about ujiri.  Looks like he is nigerian but not yoruban, mom was Kenyan.  Looks like he had to work for everything he ever got.

I remember that people really questioned this move, but it panned out so far.

He is housa, not really a fan of them just do to their massive abuses of resources in Nigeria. 

That said, he is an excellent GM. I been seen he had top tier talent when he was in Denver. 

You can tell the GMs that got it. 

Travis to me is one. 

• Premium Member

Stockpiling draft picks and young players on rookie deals is huge for having a chance at that once in a decade trade. One of the most frustrating things we've had in Atlanta is we've never really had someone that could stockpile picks and young guys and flip that when needed.

I feel safe to say Young and Collins are our untouchables at the moment. We need one stud to go with them and this team could be in the playoffs next season.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Luck is a critical part of roster building. We had some luck to get #3, #10, 2018 #19, Kevin without moving up, etc. 

But aggressiveness matters. We made the Nets trade right on time. 

Ferry had a chance to get Giannis and missed on him. This would be a completely different franchise right now. 

Ferry had a poor eye for talent. He draft busts like A. Payne and while he had to insight and luck to trade him to MIN, the others he didn't have much luck getting players back for.

Just imagine of Luke P was a bust, he showed signs of a potential starter with Toronto with high BBIQ. He was a major chip in landing Leonard for Toronto. We never had that player or the young assets so when the time came, the players broke us up in the end.

Ferry had a chance to get Giannis?

54 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He is housa, not really a fan of them just do to their massive abuses of resources in Nigeria. 

That said, he is an excellent GM. I been seen he had top tier talent when he was in Denver. 

You can tell the GMs that got it. 

Travis to me is one. 

Eh, they’re not so bad but then again everyone blames us for Biafra so... shege waka to all of you. 

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Only if he had traded up (which was probably possible given where Giannis was drafted).

My big take away from this is another reaffirmation that MVP level talent is needed.  If DeRozan was on this team, it would not stand a chance.  They would not have beaten either GS or Milwaukee.  Trading a reserve All-Star type of talent in DD for a true superstar is what made this happen for them.  There was plenty of other good team building by Uriji but it is all window dressing compared to landing that engine for your championship drive.  Getting or developing that MVP level talent has to remain our #1 goal long-term.  

(For anyone hung up on the fact that Kawhi hasn't actually won an MVP, he has finished #2 and #3 in MVP voting and has made numerous All-NBA teams so he is at that level, IMO.  It is why I praised Toronto for this move last year.)

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Yes, he had a promise from the Hawks. Early that day, a team called and told them that Bucks were going to take Giannis and they are open to trading back with us. Ferry refused and the price wasn't even that steep like future picks or that stuff. We ended up with Bebe and Dennis :Bud:

8 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Yes, he had a promise from the Hawks. Early that day, a team called and told them that Bucks were going to take Giannis and they are open to trading back with us. Ferry refused and the price wasn't even that steep like future picks or that stuff. We ended up with Bebe and Dennis :Bud:

Sigh! 

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I think that is the first time I've heard that.  Just more pain.  So now I have both Larry Drew and Ferry on my list for that one.

• Like 2

From what I remember reading from the Bucks' insider, Ferry was offering packages and gradually upping them which had the adverse effect of making the Bucks even more convinced to keep Giannis.  I believe the quote was there was "loud profanities" heard over the line before they hung up after the Bucks refused Ferry's final offer.

Of course there are also those that believe that the Hawks would have had the Bucks pick anyway had they traded Smoove to them at the trade deadline but the actual protections on their pick were never revealed to legitimize that theory.