• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Masai Uriji proves that elite GMing is needed

NBASupes

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Yes, he had a promise from the Hawks. Early that day, a team called and told them that Bucks were going to take Giannis and they are open to trading back with us. Ferry refused and the price wasn't even that steep like future picks or that stuff. We ended up with Bebe and Dennis :Bud:

20 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think that is the first time I've heard that.  Just more pain.  So now I have both Larry Drew and Ferry on my list for that one.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/anatomy-2013-nba-draft-antetokounmpo-was-close-being-hawk/bPGo2DIQ1fh8CSymQAZjNO/amp.html

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/anatomy-2013-nba-draft-antetokounmpo-was-close-being-hawk/bPGo2DIQ1fh8CSymQAZjNO/amp.html

I've seen that but hadn't heard we had an offer on the table to trade up for very little cost.

Ferry refused and the price wasn't even that steep like future picks or that stuff.

44 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

From what I remember reading from the Bucks' insider, Ferry was offering packages and gradually upping them which had the adverse effect of making the Bucks even more convinced to keep Giannis.  I believe the quote was there was "loud profanities" heard over the line before they hung up after the Bucks refused Ferry's final offer.

Of course there are also those that believe that the Hawks would have had the Bucks pick anyway had they traded Smoove to them at the trade deadline but the actual protections on their pick were never revealed to legitimize that theory.

He f***ed up. His agent had Giannis family ready to move to Atlanta and planned. That's why you need to make sure you got deals before the draft just in case

19 minutes ago, AHF said:

I've seen that but hadn't heard we had an offer on the table to trade up for very little cost.

It wasn't very little cost. They wanted #17 and players already on the roster which had a lot more value to us then than now. 

Say what you want about Travis but he got a deal in place with everybody just in case. 

11 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

His biggest f'up was with LD.  The Bucks insider also mentioned that Giannis was barely even on their radar until LD came through the door like Marvin Berry yelling at them to check this kid out.

This is exactly what happened. 

Speaking of elite GM'ing, I thought of another loser from last night.  Dan. E. strAinge.

Masai makes a bawse move and uses assets to grab a guy capable of leading a team to a title. Meanwhile, ol' sticky-hands strAinge is still hoarding assets(sic).

BOS could've had Kawhi quite easily but ol' Dan wanted to low-ball the Spurs so's he can hold on to his precious assets(sic).

Decided to hitch his wagon to Kyme which ended disastrously.  Can't hitch no wagon to that selfish mule.

One year later the Rapts have a title.  The Selltics are still on Oregon Trail.  Tatum drowned in the snake river and Marcus Smart has dysentery.  Congrats, Dan E.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, kg01 said:

Speaking of elite GM'ing, I thought of another loser from last night.  Dan. E. strAinge.

Masai makes a bawse move and uses assets to grab a guy capable of leading a team to a title. Meanwhile, ol' sticky-hands strAinge is still hoarding assets(sic).

BOS could've had Kawhi quite easily but ol' Dan wanted to low-ball the Spurs so's he can hold on to his precious assets(sic).

Decided to hitch his wagon to Kyme which ended disastrously.  Can't hitch no wagon to that selfish mule.

One year later the Rapts have a title.  The Selltics are still on Oregon Trail.  Tatum drowned in the snake river and Marcus Smart has dysentery.  Congrats, Dan E.

Yep, all the assets and they seem to be turning into duds.

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, kg01 said:

heh. I had a big argument yesterday with someone at work that's a big BAHSTON sports fan. He thinks Ainge is God and Stevens is Jesus. He actually seems to think having the trade assets are worth more as a potential than using them. He is convinced Davis is going to BAHSTON for quote "pennies on the dollar" because Ainge "won't lose a trade."

I tried to tell him the worst trades are the ones you don't make when you should have. Ainge should have jumped all over the chance to get Kawhi and anyone else that is a legit top ten player in the NBA. Ainge wouldn't give up enough and now they are losing Kyrie and the rest of their team doesn't look anywhere near as good as it did two years ago.

Kawhi is going to stay in Toronto for at least three years. Philly is going to bring back I believe all their guys. The Bucks are going to lose maybe a guy or two but will still be a force. Boston is looking squarely at a fourth at best place at the table. The Nets will be better next season and Indy should get Oladipo back at some point next season as well.

My coworker is not bothered by this because he believes Ainge is going to get HIS REAL GUY this time. We'll see...

13 hours ago, macdaddy said:

That's certainly a screw up of poor execution but there were 28 other teams who weren't even looking at him so at least the evaluation was spot on.  Water under the bridge i guess.

I suppose the worse scenario were the Mavs.  Donnie Nelson pegged Giannis as his pick at #13 but Cuban overruled him because he wanted to save as much cap space as possible to chase Dwight.  Yikes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

I suppose the worse scenario were the Mavs.  Donnie Nelson pegged Giannis as his pick at #13 but Cuban overruled him because he wanted to save as much cap space as possible to chase Dwight.  Yikes.

True story?

3 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

True story?

"It was me," Cuban said. "Donnie [Nelson] was like, 'OK, I'm putting my you-know-whats on the table.' He was doing the Sam Cassell, Nick Van Exel dance. ... It's all in. And I'm like, 'Donnie, we have this plan.' Because even as good as the Greek Freak has turned out to be, he was still three years away, and we wanted to try to get somebody who could help get us to the top right there and then. Didn't turn out that way, it is what it is, that happens."

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/dallas-mavericks-giannis-antetokounmpo-draft-2013-mark-cuban-said-no-kelly-olynyk/2irlawkreo0e1bx11nzxbu4ik

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cuz I thought we were the only team that had Giannis at 16 instead of Bebe via Boston. No? Or was it instead of Dennis at 17. I honestly thought we were the lead team for his services. Duck 🦆 Frew BTW. I’ll say that forever. He’s a little leaker.

7 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

Wow 😮. I didn’t know about the Mavs with Giannis only us with Giannis. Kinda feels better to know this. Lol. We weren’t alone.