Welcome to Atlanta De'Andre Hunter and Cam Reddish

NBASupes

5 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Dude, pictures are all how someone is standing, what shoes they are wearing, angle of the photo, etc. Another thing, Zions height has been exaggerated, he's not really all that tall. It's highly unlikely that someone as physically mature as Cam Reddish, nearly 20 years old,  grew another inch. Also he was the same height at the Nike Hoops summit a year ago as he was at the NBA combine. He probably stopped growing at age 17 or 18. 

• Moderators
17 hours ago, hazer said:

The height nimbers I provided are from the article I linked under the figures. They may be slightly off, but I’ve read a couple of those height claims in more than one article. Feel free to fact check the article with others, the ones I’ve seen support that data.

The article is a fun read but seems to be very casually written to make the growth spurts seem like they may have taken place over a shorter period of time than they actually did -- usually by taking a height from a period prior to the person graduating high school and using vague wording like "he stood 6'2'' in high school and is now 6'10''!".  This is done to make it and similar articles a more interesting read but is not something to rely on until they start getting into the details.  Let's look at two I mentioned above:

10. Lamar Odom - At 6'2 in high school, it seems as though Lamar Odom was destined to be a point guard. Out of the blue, Odom experienced a late growth spurt that saw him grow from 6'2" as a high school senior to 6'9" his junior year of college.

Odom was 6'9'' as a senior.  I trust the NYT over this random web article but here are some more sources from articles written while he was still in high school:

Odom, the 6-foot-9 forward from Queens considered the country's top prep recruit

https://lasvegassun.com/news/1997/apr/09/unlv-recruiting-class-among-best/

That one was April 1997 celebrating UNLV getting a commitment from this 6'9'' stud.

4. Lamar Odom, F, 6'9"
Middle Village, N.Y. (Christ the King)
Odom, who averaged 17 points and 11 rebounds as a junior,
considered transferring to Maine Central Institute to get his
academic house in order. His decision not to transfer may be an
indicator that he is planning to skip college and go straight to
the NBA.

https://www.si.com/vault/1996/11/15/224006/high-school-seniors-to-watch

This one was from November 1996 and was listing the most interesting high school seniors before their seasons started really going.  I.e., to drum up interest in high school ball.  And it lists him again at 6'9''.  I don' think the NYT, SI and recruiting sites are likely to confuse those two heights.

So this idea that he graduated high school at 6'2'' and then had a huge growth spurt is a complete fiction.  His growth spurt came while he was in HS, more like Anthony Davis.

3. Dennis Rodman - Dennis Rodman stood at only 5'6 in high school. At age 19, he experienced an unbelievable growth spurt that propelled him from 5'6 to 6'8.

He was in fact 5'6'' when he was a freshman in high school.

Only 5-foot-6, he was cut from the football team his freshman year at South Oak Cliff High School. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20090723015314/http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/classic/bio/news/story?page=Rodman_Dennis

He had a huge post-HS growth spurt but 5'6'' is only put there to sensationalize the article.  The problem is that you get a bunch of people who read one article about big growth spurts and then parrot those same claims because they are too lazy to do their own research and so you'll see claims of him growing 12 inches after high school but they never get into the details of it.

Here is his (now archived) NBA bio:

Rodman, whose two sisters were All-American basketball players, didn't play high school basketball and stood only 5-11 when he graduated.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100420020818/http://www.nba.com/playerfile/dennis_rodman/bio.html

So while there are articles that like to site to the 5'6'' height from his freshman year they just aren't accurate or, rather, they are accurately telling readers his height when he started high school as opposed to when he finished it.

Rodman's post-age 19 growth spurt is legit remarkable.  It doesn't need the embellishment.  

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, hazer said:

Duly noted ✅

Also of note: Reddish has grown an inch, 6’9 in shoes 💫

As I've said, an inch in a couple months is certainly possible.  That picture alone doesn't sell me on it because it is easy to distort perspective with such a small variation in a photograph (and the picture wasn't shot for the purpose of comparing heights) but will have me eager to see his height as we watch him in action this fall.

At the end of the day, it doesn't change anything for me.  At either 6'8'' or 6'9'' in shoes, I'm equally excited to see him play and think he can be an impact wing for us either way.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, AHF said:

As I've said, an inch in a couple months is certainly possible.  That picture alone doesn't sell me on it because it is easy to distort perspective with such a small variation in a photograph (and the picture wasn't shot for the purpose of comparing heights) but will have me eager to see his height as we watch him in action this fall.

At the end of the day, it doesn't change anything for me.  At either 6'8'' or 6'9'' in shoes, I'm equally excited to see him play and think he can be an impact wing for us either way.

The likelihood of Cam growing an inch in three months, just shy of his 20th birthday, is very remote. Boys that are still growing do not look like Cam, they have a skinny not filled out look. At the Nike hoops summit he was measured the same height as he was at the combine. You don't not grow for a year, then suddenly sprout an inch in three months.That's not how the science of growth works. It far more likely discrepancies in photos are related to the shoes he's wearing or the angle of the shot.

@JayBirdHawk  You were not alone.  Watched an interview with Lloyd Pierce.  He was asked, "What was your biggest surprise last season as a head coach?"  His reply went along with your thinking exactly.

"I thought that Kevin Huerter would spend most of the season in the G League.  He ended up starting and no one could move him out."

:smug:

• Like 4

Original topic:  Welcome to Hunter and Reddish.

Statement and question for all:

#10 pick by the Hawks, Cam Reddish, has been cheered by most as a great pick.  However, many have said that the Hawks gave up too much to move up to #4 for Hunter.  Yet, these same people think he will probably start this season and will be an excellent defensive addition and a great offensive weapon.

Seems to me you just can't have it both ways.  We get a great starting player in the draft and we paid too much for him.

I think the Hawks got the player that they wanted and the things they gave up for him were things they didn't want as much as they wanted Hunter.  That makes it a no brainer in way of thinking. 

What do you think?  Did Hunter cost too much?  Yes or no?  Why?

:smug:

• Thanks 4

39 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Agree with Bird. Also, initially I thought the price was too steep. But later realized that there are sooooo many talented wings on offense in the NBA and probably a 1/4 as many talented enough to DEFEND them. We now have that kryptonite on our side.

Defense is severely undervalued and Schlenk realized that and pulled the trigger for us.

A+ move upon further review imo.

I knew all of this at the time and gave him an A+ but you had to get Cam as well.

• Like 4