• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome To Atlanta Bruno Fernando

NBASupes

Just now, hazer said:

Would LOVE to see this 2nd/3rd unit out there:

Bembry/Crabbe/Reddish/Spellman/Fernando 

And/or:

Lin/Reddish/Hunter/Spellman/Fernando 

https://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-terps-basketball/2019/6/18/18683155/bruno-fernando-nba-mock-draft-projections-first-second-round-center

CBS and Tankathon see him fitting in well with the Golden State Warriors — with a lack of depth at center and DeMarcus Cousins entering free agency, Fernando may be just who Golden State is looking for. It’s also worth noting that when he worked out with the Atlanta Hawks, who hold the 8th, 10th and 17th picks in the draft and already have two Terps on their roster, he was the only player asked into the coach’s office to go over film and have further talks.

Fernando’s strengths include his rebounding and passing, and The Ringer also emphasized his “clean shooting form,” which gives him the potential to be a strong NBA three-point shooter. The biggest question marks revolve around his ball-handling skills and defensive awareness. His athleticism will earn him a chance, but some scouts seem unsure what kind of role he’ll fill in the league.

So this was that bit I had mentioned I'd heard about Fernando from our workout.  I think its telling they were targeting him all along which is what makes getting him at 34 so interesting.  I mentioned weeks ago that I never saw him as a top 10 talent because of how different a play style he'd have to adjust to.  Example: at Virginia they play a lot of man to man.  Defensively, Hunter isn't going to have man to man with switching, going under and behind screens be a huge learning curve.  His learning curve is very low for his pro adjustment. Offensively, Maryland did a lot of pro things. They do more top screens set by the big men with both the power forward and Center than you see in most college programs. Offensively, Bruno might be farther ahead than most college big men. But defensively, they play some man, some 1-3-1 but over half their time on the floor (and mostly with Bruno) they played a 3-2 zone because Bruno was athletic enough to deny the entry pass behind him and effectively take away the drive on one side of the lane. In the pro's, he's going to be asked to play behind his man, not in front and react on the cutter without losing position. It may sound easy but spend your whole life speed walking then have someone yell...now switch heel to toe...go ahead...try it right now...I'll wait.  This is what playing the post is like for someone like Fernando. it isn't about talent or athleticism, it is about developing new instincts, awareness and habits. It takes time. This was why I said he wasn't worthy of a lottery pick. You are effectively going to red shirt him his first pro year. He'll play exclusively against lesser lineups and summer league will be little help.  That said, his value was somewhere between 15-25. To get him at 34 should be a felony.

https://www.basketballforcoaches.com/3-2-zone-defense/

Must read to get a feel for it and why they do it. Why Maryland recruits who they do at positions, etc.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_f9993c7c-4e75-11e9-a1f2-6f03f95522aa.html

Okay...why the hell isn't end quote working???

• Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:12 PM, NBASupes said:

Travis really killed the draft this year. Like really killed it. Probably more impressive than last year. Trae and Kevin were the best PG and SG in the draft last year but Omari wasn't close to the best center or even in the conversation. This year, we got the best SF/C and the best combo forward in Hunter. Amazing. Travis really do this shit. 

And the scouting department of course. Salute. 

Scouting is so important.  Our wise GM listens and acts, much as he believes himself but also by what his scouts see and report to him.  Yep, he killed the draft. 

Still have the free agency period and pre season before we can see the actual results!

:dance3:

• Premium Member
On 6/21/2019 at 10:18 PM, sturt said:

I'm as high on Bruno as they come, and have been on him for months, but I'll be surprised if it's not Len's "spot to lose" from the beginning of the year.

I look for Len to be serious trade bait at the deadline, and then Bruno possibly gets his "spot to lose" designation.

For sure. Bruno is still raw, but I actually feel like he is going to be one of the guys that picks things up quickly. Still "quickly" is probably still a few months into the season. It's very likely Bruno comes off the bench for the majority of the year. By year 2 I fully expect Fernando to be the starting center of the Atlanta Hawks for many years to come though.

• Like 1

The more I see and hear about all our moves since the end of the season, the more I like our Atlanta Hawk team.

Hawks will be so exciting this season.  Bruno going for the slam the way Collins and Trae worked it last season.  As the old chewing gum commercial, "Double the pleasure, double the fun!"

Three great draft picks to go with a couple of new vets and all the great players left over from last season.  Makes me grin, just thinking about it !

And, all those great free agents going everywhere!  Teams win some and lose some and we just hang around, smiling about what we already have.  Boston loses free agents and add others.  Eastern all star going west.

We will miss Prince and Baze and wish them luck (when they are not playing the Hawks) and believe that our coach and staff will be showing more defense than they did last season.

GO ATL HAWKS !!

PS - How about them Braves !!

• Like 2

Bruno is a guy that’s going to be much better than his draft spot. He is going to take some time, but the raw ability to fit everything we need out of the center position is there. He’s got a lot of potential as a perimeter shooter and probably be a Day 1 PnR threat with Trae. Could be a good passer from the center position (a la Horford). B+ level athlete. Good shot blocker. Good FT shooter for a big.

If Bruno reaches his potential in the future then we really could run:

Trae-Huerter-Reddish-Hunter-Bruno

• Like 2

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Bruno is a guy that’s going to be much better than his draft spot. He is going to take some time, but the raw ability to fit everything we need out of the center position is there. He’s got a lot of potential as a perimeter shooter and probably be a Day 1 PnR threat with Trae. Could be a good passer from the center position (a la Horford). B+ level athlete. Good shot blocker. Good FT shooter for a big.

What happens to Collins in your scenario?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, AtlHomer said:

What happens to Collins in your scenario?

It's because people are trying to put Huerter and Reddish in the starting lineup.  One of those guys are going to end up being the 6th man, especially if Hunter is the lockdown 3 and D guy.   That leaves Collins and Fernando to wreak havoc in the frontcourt.

Now if the Hawks want to go small ( ala what Golden State does at times ), then you can play all 3 wings at the same time ( Huerter - Reddish - Hunter ).

• Like 1

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Hawk fans are obsessed with Small ball now.  D-mn you Bud!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

It's because people are trying to put Huerter and Reddish in the starting lineup.  One of those guys are going to end up being the 6th man, especially if Hunter is the lockdown 3 and D guy.   That leaves Collins and Fernando to wreak havoc in the frontcourt.

Now if the Hawks want to go small ( ala what Golden State does at times ), then you can play all 3 wings at the same time ( Huerter - Reddish - Hunter ).

Huerter should start as the 2nd unit point man.

2nd unit:

pg-Huerter

sg-Crabbe

sf-Turner

pf-Omari

c-Len

1 hour ago, EazyRoc said:

Zero chance he is Horford 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

Doesn’t surprise me that you would say that. Compare them at the same point in their careers though..

At the same point in their career, one went #3 in the draft and one went in the second round.

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

At the same point in their career, one went #3 in the draft and one went in the second round.

Draft position isn’t really relevant to on court performance.

17 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Negative. 

You’re wrong. 

Edited by EazyRoc

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

How about production ? What did you find ?

Bruno is an exciting new member of the Hawks and has some nice numbers but he hasn’t shown the defensive prowess of Horford or the shooting range that led to him going that high.

It is the as yet unrealized potential for that growth that allowed us to get him.