• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Welcome To Atlanta Bruno Fernando

NBASupes

38 minutes ago, AHF said:

Bruno is an exciting new member of the Hawks and has some nice numbers but he hasn’t shown the defensive prowess of Horford or the shooting range that led to him going that high.

It is the as yet unrealized potential for that growth that allowed us to get him.

Al didn’t go high because of his shooting prowess. He, too, had mere potential after his sophomore year (he was drafted after his junior year fwiw). He’s not quite the same caliber defender, but I think his deficiency in comparison to Horford is equally a consequence of both experience and system.

Also FWIW so it doesn’t get lost in discussion is that my comparison originally extended to his ability as a passer compared to Horford not all around skills. In the process of comparing numbers though, Bruno is a much more capable shooter than Horford was at the same point. Eye test tells me he’s just as capable if not more so as a roll man.

11 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

Al didn’t go high because of his shooting prowess. He, too, had mere potential after his sophomore year (he was drafted after his junior year fwiw). He’s not quite the same caliber defender, but I think his deficiency in comparison to Horford is equally a consequence of both experience and system.

Also FWIW so it doesn’t get lost in discussion is that my comparison originally extended to his ability as a passer compared to Horford not all around skills. In the process of comparing numbers though, Bruno is a much more capable shooter than Horford was at the same point. Eye test tells me he’s just as capable if not more so as a roll man.

Lol, Horford had range for that era. Bigs wasn't expected to shoot 3s but knock down mid range jumpers and show a shooting touch and they were expected to defend the paint. Horford was a tremendous prospect and would be a top 5 pick in this draft. Let's not confuse that. It seems like Horford all around game,  elite feel for the game, speed for position, agility and elite BBIQ always gets missed my Hawks supporters for some reason 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

It seems like Horford all around game,  elite feel for the game, speed for position, agility and elite BBIQ always gets missed my Hawks supporters for some reason 

Cleveland had more than a bit to do with us forgetting the good stuff..

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Lol, Horford had range for that era. Bigs wasn't expected to shoot 3s but knock down mid range jumpers and show a shooting touch and they were expected to defend the paint. Horford was a tremendous prospect and would be a top 5 pick in this draft. Let's not confuse that. It seems like Horford all around game,  elite feel for the game, speed for position, agility and elite BBIQ always gets missed my Hawks supporters for some reason 

Horford was better than Bruno in a lot of ways. I don’t think Bruno is as polished as rookie Horford. However, Al also played an extra year of college. I think Bruno will take a huge leap by Year 2-3. He has a lot of potential in the mold of Horford. The raw talent is there and he’s still developing. I’m not trying to downplay Al right now. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Horford was better than Bruno in a lot of ways. I don’t think Bruno is as polished as rookie Horford. However, Al also played an extra year of college. I think Bruno will take a huge leap by Year 2-3. He has a lot of potential in the mold of Horford. The raw talent is there and he’s still developing. I’m not trying to downplay Al right now. 

I saw a vid clip of Terps’ Coach Mark Turgeon stating Bruno made a HUGE leap from his freshman to sophomore years, one of the biggest player growths he’s ever experienced in a single year. And how coachable, quick learning, and hard working he is. Sometimes would have to tell him to dial it back. I foresee that continuing/accelerating under El-P and Bruno starting by the trade deadline if Schlank deals Len.

• Like 3

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

I don't disagree with any of that.  Just saying that GMs obviously think there is a significant gap between them as draft prospects.  While I don't drink the same Kool-Aid as Supes on Horford, I agree with him that Horford would have been a top pick in the draft this year if he was just coming out of school.  I'm hoping the fact that Fernando wasn't means we scooped up a gem at a big discount but I also think it is likely reflective of Fernando needing time before he becomes a rotation mainstay.  (Love it if he would prove that assumption of mine wrong.)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AHF said:

I don't disagree with any of that.  Just saying that GMs obviously think there is a significant gap between them as draft prospects.  While I don't drink the same Kool-Aid as Supes on Horford, I agree with him that Horford would have been a top pick in the draft this year if he was just coming out of school.  I'm hoping the fact that Fernando wasn't means we scooped up a gem at a big discount.

Bruno at 34th will be viewed in hindsight like Collins at 19th. Schlank is an outright thief.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Moderators
Just now, hazer said:

Bruno at 34th will be viewed in hindsight like Collins at 19th. Schlank is an outright thief.

I would have been hella pissed if we drafted Bruno at 10 but I was expecting us to draft him or one of a half dozen other bigs at 17 so getting him at 34 was wonderful.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AHF said:

I would have been hella pissed if we drafted Bruno at 10 but I was expecting us to draft him or one of a half dozen other bigs at 17 so getting him at 34 was wonderful.

Yep. My Christmas List was Cam/8, Sekou/10, Bruno/17 🎄

Edited by hazer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I would agree with this. Bruno has the potential to be a lower end all star.

I don’t think he needs as much time as everyone believes. Not saying he’s nba ready out the gate but I believe if he gets court time early on he will gain confidence in LP to play him more

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JTB said:

I don’t think he needs as much time as everyone believes. Not saying he’s nba ready out the gate but I believe if he gets court time early on he will gain confidence in LP to play him more

I disagree. I really want to see him in SL though. I want him to be more NBA ready. If he can do that, he could be a rotation player this year but I think he needs much time. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

Last season Spellman wasn't expected to play very much.  And, some thought that Huerter would spend most of his time in the G League.

Spellman, when he wasn't too fat or injured, played and Huerter ended up as a starter.  We observe Spellman getting in shape this off season.  He's learned.

As of now, Hawks do not have all star centers on their roster.  Bruno Fernando may not be any where ready to play NBA ball.  But, on the other hand, I expect to see him thrown into the fire and be tested, over and over again.  He may be a bull in the china shop as he learns, but he will.  His college coach noted how much he had improved from year one. 

If the Hawks can get Cam Reddish healthy and get De'Andre Hunter signed, along with Bruno, all kinds of exciting things are in store for us, the Hawk faithful.

All this plus two new players that were traded for !!

:clapping:

• Like 2

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Last season Spellman wasn't expected to play very much.  And, some thought that Huerter would spend most of his time in the G League.

Spellman, when he wasn't too fat or injured, played and Huerter ended up as a starter.  We observe Spellman getting in shape this off season.  He's learned.

As of now, Hawks do not have all star centers on their roster.  Bruno Fernando may not be any where ready to play NBA ball.  But, on the other hand, I expect to see him thrown into the fire and be tested, over and over again.  He may be a bull in the china shop as he learns, but he will.  His college coach noted how much he had improved from year one. 

If the Hawks can get Cam Reddish healthy and get De'Andre Hunter signed, along with Bruno, all kinds of exciting things are in store for us, the Hawk faithful.

All this plus two new players that were traded for !!

:clapping:

Forget all star!  The Hawks don't have a starting center on their team.

Think forty eight minutes of Len and Bruno at C might surprise us in a good way. Give it thirty games or so and am expecting just that result. Trae will help make it work no doubt.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Think forty eight minutes of Len and Bruno at C might surprise us in a good way. Give it thirty games or so and am expecting just that result. Trae will help make it work no doubt.

You'll see Collins and Spellman get some minutes as well.  I also think you can count on an as yet unidentified FA in the rotation.