• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Still too early roster projections - opening night vs final game 2019-2020

sturt

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

Well, the money needs to be spent somewhere before our own guys hit restricted free agency. To me, I anticipate our core can fill the the 1-4 positions, meaning we'd best be served signing a center and signing some a nice bench piece or two. It'd be a mistake not to spend our cap space before our core's rookie contracts run out.

The mistake would be to spend it just to spend it, especially on junk contracts, then when our players are eligible for extentions we are trying to trade these contracts to avoid the luxury tax. 

I'm not interested in paying the Vucevic's of the world max contracts (or close to it).

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The mistake would be to spend it just to spend it, especially on junk contracts, then when our players are eligible for extentions we are trying to trade these contracts to avoid the luxury tax. 

I'm not interested in paying the Vucevic's of the world max contracts (or close to it).

Although the pickings at center are slim, I agree we shouldn't be handing the Vucevic's of the world a max deal. I do think we'll be able to sign someone better though.

• Premium Member

Free agency begins to matter next off-season.

Maybe there's someone who unexpectedly emerges during the 2019-20 season that is worth going after. But as far as can be deciphered right now, we're two years from there being anything top shelf worth a max investment.

In the meantime, the better investment is in exchanging cap space for future currency, ie draft picks.

• Like 2

To think back to early June 2017 when we brought in Travis and him inheriting Dwight and all his dragging down our roster and then look at this. Amazing. Those contracts and going into the draft and then free agency  in 2020 will be incredibly wide open for us. Travis in his two years here has been pretty stellar.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
On 6/26/2019 at 3:36 PM, AHF said:

There is zero reason we should bring Justin Anderson back.  We are already paying better options and have better options in FA.  We test drove him and should move on.

On 6/21/2019 at 10:54 AM, sturt said:

2019-06-21_0934.png

You do realize that A) Len is only making 4.166 million this year and is an absolute steal, B) He loves Atlanta and has said as much and C) Unless he takes a huge leap forward this year will sign in the off-season for 12-15 million at most with us having $60 million in cap space projected.  We would trade Len at the deadline for nothing because????

• Like 2

Also, he left off the salary of Bruno Fernando which will most likely be for the rookie minimum (about 850k).  So adjust his numbers down by that much for the actual salary number. He left it off because they'll sign Bruno out of order if necessary since he doesn't count as a cap hold with no guarantee prior to signing. But for the purpose of math...adjust down. For the purpose of what they can spend...keep it as the article is written. Its just semantics. 

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, thecampster said:

So just to muddy the waters. We currently still have 

None
Exceptions        
Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception   $ 9,245,000    
Bi-Annual Exception   $ 3,618,000

Thought we had a trade exception from the Tyler Dorsey trade?

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Also, he left off the salary of Bruno Fernando which will most likely be for the rookie minimum (about 850k).  So adjust his numbers down by that much for the actual salary number. He left it off because they'll sign Bruno out of order if necessary since he doesn't count as a cap hold with no guarantee prior to signing. But for the purpose of math...adjust down. For the purpose of what they can spend...keep it as the article is written. Its just semantics. 

I hope they sign Bruno to at least a 4 year deal with team options in years 3 and 4 (similar to the Muscala deal as a 2nd round pick).

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, thecampster said:

You do realize that A) Len is only making 4.166 million this year and is an absolute steal, B) He loves Atlanta and has said as much and C) Unless he takes a huge leap forward this year will sign in the off-season for 12-15 million at most with us having $60 million in cap space projected.  We would trade Len at the deadline for nothing because????

a) Yes I do.

b) And no I didn't, but that hardly matters, as virtually every player likes to keep all options open going into UFA, which I'm sure you realize, but for some reason are setting aside.

c) Exactly.

The idea is to have room for two max contract opportunities.... so Len at $12-15m would impose on that.

And.

I can understand your distress if we're giving him "for nothing."

But then, who said "for nothing?"

To the contrary.... Len's the kind of player and who has the kind of contract that is going to create some competition for services in February because he's proven he can produce and because virtually any team can get in on the bidding for a player at $4m.... and thus... it is completely plausible that he can bring a nice future asset of some kind.... perhaps a 1st round pick, or perhaps someone still on his rookie deal that we think we can develop.

The Atlanta Hawks are looking to trade two of their expiring contracts for one bigger expiring contract in order to create an additional open roster spot according to Chris Kirschner of the Athletic.

As it stands Atlanta likely only has one additional roster spot, which may make it complicated for them to make a play for a low-tier free agent while also looking to retain one of their own. What really makes this interesting, however, is that their are teams like the Miami Heat and Minnesota Timberwolves who are looking to make a play for top-level free agents but lack the cap flexibility to make it work, potentially making Atlanta an ideal trading partner. The Hawks aren’t going to be holding free agency meetings with players at 6:00pm on Sunday, but that doesn’t mean that they couldn’t be active in some way.

Source: The Athletic

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I take that to mean, if the report is accurate, that they're not intending to cut Crabbe or Hill... otherwise, it would be simple enough to create that additional roster space, right?

• Premium Member

Current Roster (NBA contracts):

PG: Trae Young, Evan Turner, Jaylen Adams (UG)
SG: Kevin Huerter, Deandre Bembry, Allen Crabbe
SF: Deandre Hunter, Cam Reddish
PF: John Collins, Omari Spellman, Chandler Parsons
C -  Alex Len, Bruno Fernando

That's 13 players - room for 2 more. Who you got?

(Edited)

• Premium Member

I count 12.... and actually 11 + 1 non-guaranteed.

Think you mighta missed our newest roster member, Mr. Parsons.

So, yeah, 13.

And I'm hesitant to think Schlenk is done trading. Maybe he is. But I still could easily see Crabbe and Len being sent to OKC if they're willing to enhance that 2022 1st.

• Thanks 1

Opening night is highly likely to be:

Trae/Huerter/Hunter/Collins/Len

But I cant wait to see this go to work:

Trae/Huerter/Reddish/Hunter/Collins

• Like 2