• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Still too early roster projections - opening night vs final game 2019-2020

sturt

• Premium Member

I'm not yet buying this idea that Hunter's going to be playing a lot of 4... he has the girth for it, but not the height. And you mitigate his advantage as a defender if you've got him defending mainly 4s.

I'm more excited by

Young | Reddish | Hunter | Collins | Fernando ... with Huerter coming off the bench as our new-age Vinnie Johnson.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, sturt said:

I'm not yet buying this idea that Hunter's going to be playing a lot of 4... he has the girth for it, but not the height. And you mitigate his advantage as a defender if you've got him defending mainly 4s.

I'm more excited by

Young | Reddish | Hunter | Collins | Fernando ... with Huerter coming off the bench as our new-age Vinnie Johnson.

I have a hard time seeing Huerter coming off the bench much this year.  I am also excited to see Fernando on the floor but that can be with Huerter's nice floor spacing as well as hopefully much improved shooting from Reddish when he is in.  

I am also on your side of the line in expecting Hunter to play primary the 3 this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Aside: I can see right now that we're in desperate need of a nickname for either Huerter... or Hunter... or both.

I've been calling Kevin "The Huert" for a year. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sturt said:

I'm more excited by

I wasn't implying Hunter would be playing a "lot" of 4. Just that lineup will excite me, when it happens.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hazer said:

I've been calling Kevin "The Huert" for a year. 

Think an announcer or two coined "Red Pepper" for him during the second half.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sturt said:

I'm more excited by

Think JC has a whole lot to do with it. JC at center will negate a lot of what he brings for us unless we flat out don't miss any shots from the floor. Collins is our PF. 

• Admin

Watching this Westbrook situation and thinking I hope we never give a super max contract... it is albatross for the teams that give it and it’s usually to players approaching or in their 30s when their games begin to slip.  

• Premium Member

Two thoughts to that, @capstone21...

In a perfect world, your own drafted players are so good after their rookie contracts that you sign them to max contracts insofar as ownership can deal with the tax situation.

And.

I appreciate what you're saying about signing players who are in their 30s, but if you have reason to do so and can sign a 28 year-old to a max, there theoretically is no better value because the guy is going into his prime years, and compared to what he would go for on an open market (all other things being equal), you're getting that asset at a decided discount.

• Premium Member

Q. What are your thoughts about the roster as it currently stands after all the moves that you made?

A. We are comfortable with where we are. We feel like we have good depth — three centers, three forwards, six guards when you count Charlie (Brown). Really, we like the versatility of it, too. Other than really Alex Len and Trae (Young), guys can play multiple positions. We are pretty comfortable.

Q. Are you done?

A. We’ll probably add one more veteran.

Q. Do you plan on adding another two-way player?

A. Yes. The staff is going through that right now, just evaluating who is out there. Watching all these games to put together a list.

Q. Can you give me any insight on the trade of Omari Spellman?

A. It balanced our roster out a little bit. Getting (Damian Jones) back who can play center and we get a future pick for taking on very little salary. 

Q. Have you thought about bringing back Vince Carter?

A. We’ve talked to him. I think he has options. I think he has interest in us. I’ve been talking to his agent.

Q. When you do develop a plan to play the young core of players?

A. That will start when we get everyone back healthy and in September. The coaching staff will sit down and figure out what the rotation is going to look like. Lloyd (Pierce) understands that we need to get these guys minutes. Last year, Trae and John (Collins) played about 30 minutes. They are probably going to play 35 minutes this year as they continue to grow. De’Andre (Hunter) is obviously going to play a lot of minutes. Cam (Reddish) we are going to play a lot.

Q. Does the style of play change at all with the players you have brought in?

A. No, I don’t think so. What we did was we traded away some wings but we drafted some wings, versatile guys. A little more focus on two-way players, De’Andre and Fernando (Bruno) both are really good defensive players. I think Cam is an underrated defensive player, too.

Q. In hindsight, you went into this offseason with the draft lottery and then the six draft picks. How do you think you did when it was all said and done?

A. We got three guys that I don’t want to say we targeted but guys we were really high on. We had both Cam and De’Andre rating in the top five all year long. Every month we do rankings and our group had them in the top five. We can walk away with two of those guys, we feel really good about. We were really high on Bruno and when he slid down to the second round, we cashed in some of our chips to go get him. We think he has a bright future.

• Like 3