Hawks trade Bazemore to Portland for E. Turner

JTB

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Not sure why we are looking at singular transactions and freaking out.  It's all part of a plan.  Baze wasn't a good fit on court for this Hawks team.  

Because Turner is a worse fit and a more toxic contract. 

I really, really hope there are more dominoes to fall and we can't look at this as a singular deal because it is part of a sequence of deals that ends up with Turner playing somewhere else and us picking up assets in the process.  But I can't see how that happens.  I'm ready to be surprised, Travis.  Ball is in your court.

6 minutes ago, DBac said:

Ah, so the Taurean trade was a red herring. Schlenk needs a trade consultant.

I'm someone that doesn't even like Bazemore as a player, but this just comes off as lazy at best. Stop wasting our assets.

It is noticeable that he isn't good at trades as he is with signing and drafting. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Atlantaholic said:

I'm not really as mad as other posters seem to be...more like confused. Turner for Bazemore is the most lateral move I've ever seen, this isn't making us better.

Does lateral mean falling off a ladder and fracturing your skull?  This deal makes us significantly worse and makes the Blazers significantly better.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

It is noticeable that he isn't good at trades as he is with signing and drafting. 

I think that’s going too far. I really believe it was a favor to Bazemore more than anything else. Schlenk and that front office ain’t worried about Evan Turner, they worried about the young players and rookies getting minutes and rightfully so

• Like 2

Just now, AHF said:

Does lateral mean falling off a ladder and fracturing your skull?  This deal makes us significantly worse and makes the Blazers significantly better.

I don't know about significantly worse, he might fit as a backup PG. Adams was giving us 100% negative and Lin couldn't shoot either with us. I am willing to give him a chance but he sucked ass in Portland and I wasn't a fan at all. The one player I didn't want back in a trade for Baze as you didn't. 

• Like 1

I dont get the outcry. Obviously the wing rotation will be all about developing our young guns. Huerter, Hunter, Reddish, and even Bembry will maintain the lion share of minutes. We were not going to resign Kent, and its hard to justify keeping a great teammate and vet like him on the roster and not giving him any minutes. No use in setting ourselves up for him to try and go get his to increase his value. Just cut the losses and move on. With Turner, there is no loyalty for him. He can park his ass on the bench until someone gets injured. 

I think the clear focus is on development and getting this nucleus its own identity. Kent would have fun to have around but ultimately represents a previous regime that we have purged. Bembry is the only BudCox era player still left, He may stick around but we arent tied to him either. Expiring for expiring, we will be just fine.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

You have a lot of posters that sour on certain Hawk players and would rather trade them for some of the worse players in the league but love some of the worse players in the league like Mike Muscala

Just now, JTB said:

I think that’s going too far. I really believe it was a favor to Bazemore more than anything else. Schlenk and that front office ain’t worried about Evan Turner, they worried about the young players and rookies getting minutes and rightfully so

We got an issue:

We got 14 players. After Lakers trade, 17. We can cut Jones and Bonga with no issues. Cut Adams. Now 14. We sign VC, 15. We don't have a backup PG on the roster. I don't like Turner but I am open to giving him a chance. 

1 minute ago, RedDawg#8 said:

I dont get the outcry. Obviously the wing rotation will be all about developing our young guns. Huerter, Hunter, Reddish, and even Bembry will maintain the lion share of minutes. We were not going to resign Kent, and its hard to justify keeping a great teammate and vet like him on the roster and not giving him any minutes. No use in setting ourselves up for him to try and go get his to increase his value. Just cut the losses and move on. With Turner, there is no loyalty for him. He can park his ass on the bench until someone gets injured. 

I think the clear focus is on development and getting this nucleus its own identity. Kent would have fun to have around but ultimately represents a previous regime that we have purged. Bembry is the only BudCox era player still left, He may stick around but we arent tied to him either. Expiring for expiring, we will be just fine.

Yup the outcry need to stop. This is about the young guys. If Turner provides some kind of usefulness then great, if not like you said he can park his ass on the bench until the season is up 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

Bezmore is terrible, bro. I understand you hate Turner, but Bazemore was straight up hot garbage last season on both ends of the floor. Easily one of the worst players in the entire NBA by almost any metric. Not having Bazemore is no loss. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, High5 said:

I understand not being a fan of Turner (I'm not either), but it sounds like people are forgetting that Baze wasn't very good last season. Turner may have even been a little better. Mainly this hurts from a locker room perspective. Baze is one of the most likable guys in the league.

Rather the devil I know.

Just saying if there's no real cost saving or asset.:blanky:

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

We got an issue:

We got 14 players. After Lakers trade, 17. We can cut Jones and Bonga with no issues. Cut Adams. Now 14. We sign VC, 15. We don't have a backup PG on the roster. I don't like Turner but I am open to giving him a chance. 

Right I mean trust me I didn’t think we’d be rolling with bembry and turner running the second unit as back up points but hopefully one of them can magically find that 3pt range this off season.

• Premium Member
Just now, Atlantaholic said:

Bezmore is terrible, bro. I understand you hate Turner, but Bazemore was straight up hot garbage last season on both ends of the floor. Easily one of the worst players in the entire NBA by almost any metric. Not having Bazemore is no loss. 

Bazemore was bad in certain games last year but in others, he was one of the best player on the court.

• Thanks 1

Just now, JTB said:

Right I mean trust me I didn’t think we’d be rolling with bembry and turner running the second unit as back up points but hopefully one of them can magically find that 3pt range this off season.

Right now, I got our 2nd unit as:

Turner

Bembry

Hunter or Reddish

VC

Omari or Wagner

It's clear this unit job is to make stop, get on transition and don't f*** up too much so when the 1st unit is back, we can hit the ground running. 

I would just like for them to cut Plumlee or Hill but that's not likely to happen till Jan. 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

We got an issue:

First, you realize there's no source to that theory.... that's just something Chouinard said, and then Kirschner regurgitated.... right? 

Second, give me Bembry over Turner. Bembry's played PG and played it somewhat effectively for someone who only occasionally did so. Turner evidently hasn't played that role in years.

And no one seems to want to acknowledge it, but we actually have 15 players.... Anderson is technically on the roster until 6/29, and no one has said yet that Schlenk isn't going to offer him a QO.... probably won't, but just being accurate here.

• Premium Member
Just now, Peoriabird said:

Bazemore was bad in certain games last year but in others, he was one of the best player on the court.

-.1 VORP .021 WS/48 minutes (7th worst in the NBA), 50% TS% (bottom 20) 1.3 AST/TO ratio , 11.9 PER. 

Yea, he was a real asset. His minutes will now go to Cam Reddish / Hunter. We will be OK.

• Like 3

Even as a below average PG, he is better than Adams or most of our available options at the position. Bazemore is clearly better but Turner would solve a need. Evan expected impact is a tier above Jerryd Bayless impact wise. Not the positive we would want but better than Lin and Bayless. Much better than Adams.