• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks trade Bazemore to Portland for E. Turner

JTB

• Moderators

More context for my reaction to the trade:

On 12/12/2016 at 2:17 PM, AHF said:

This is me before I offer Evan Turner that deal:

Just set the money on fire first.  Screw you Turner.  You aren't getting it.  I'd rather watch it burn.

giphy.gif

On 6/22/2017 at 1:40 PM, AHF said:

Now someone like Melo is going to get the max he did when he was last a FA because there are a lot of GMs that think he'll deliver more value than the max deal and will sell tickets, merch, etc.  A guy like that you have to pay to keep but the Evan Turners of the world you can just let walk.

On 2/20/2014 at 11:11 AM, AHF said:

His numbers are incredibly consistent. He hasn't improved much at all. Here they are:

Evan Turner True Shooting %

Year 1 - .484

Year 2 - .478

Year 3 - .478

Year 4 - .504

It isn't a coincidence that the more he shoots, the lower his WS/48 number is. It is because he is such a bad shooter that it costs his team wins to have him shooting more.

Turner 2011-12 -12.4 FGA/36 = .068 WS/48

Turner 2012-13 - 13.1 FGA/36 = .035 WS/48

Turner 2013-14 - 15.9 FGA/36 = .025 WS/48

He has shown NO PROMISE whatsoever as a scorer to date in his career unless you like low efficiency, volume scoring.

On 12/11/2014 at 3:55 PM, AHF said:

"Did I say something totally off the wall?"  

I actually think you did there, Evan.  Something that would not have been totally off the wall would be to say that you couldn't hold Korver's jock on either end of the floor.  Korver shoots amazingly well and I'm not sure whether the gap is bigger between Korve rand Turner on offense or defense but Evan is so bad at both that it becomes academic at some point.

On 7/21/2015 at 6:49 AM, AHF said:

Just got over lmao at the idea of Evan Turner being pretty good on defense.

On 5/26/2014 at 10:30 PM, AHF said:

If Bud can teach people to shoot, play D and protect the ball then why not just have him do that with a cheaper player?

You guys realize that John Jenkins' rookie season would represent career highs for Turner in both WS/48 and PER, right?

What does this guy bring to the table?

Oooh, he is a passer. See his 3.8 ap36 this season? Doesn't that look great next to his 2.8 top36?

He can score! Well, he can't stretch the floor and he hasn't even hit .500 TS% over a single season in his career so far so every shot is negative value but look how often he takes bad shots! Doesn't that add up to points? Lou Williams' terrible season represents more than .050 better than Turner's career high for efficiency.

He can't play D, but he is long enough to learn. I guess age 26 is a good time to learn to play defense.

Turner is going to get significantly overpaid this offseason. Draft a rookie and develop that guy instead for 1/4 of the price. He'll probably be better anyway.

Ahora, NBASupes dijo:

I'll believe it when I see it for Crabbe and Bembry ain't no 4

I know, but he has played with a PG and 3 more wings in some lineups, perhaps he play PG and Turner poitn forward, he has done in the past, they are similar players in some way

• Premium Member

Supes...

1. You're going to have problems convincing most people that McCollum wasn't the PG when the two of them were on the floor.

2. If "playing PG on offense" is what Turner did, then you can't tell me that's not exactly the same as what Bembry did.

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

If there is a positive, Turner is a better passer and dribbler than Bazemore. But not quite the shooter or defender. Not quite the leader either or the locker room guy Kent is. This is an elite move for Kent. Total situation upgrade. It's clear, TS and team want playmakers and valuable that A LOT. 

I disagree, Turner can get solid mins. He's not Crabbe. 

😉 told you. Schlenk and I ...

Crabbe>Baze

He just fits.

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

This is good news for Crabbe fans as well. He will get backup mins at the 2. I feel for Bembry. Him and Turner in the backcourt is LOLZ!

Yes indeed. It’s time for Crabbe to show Supes that Spud knows wassup some. 😉 

MPs I hate Turner 😆 

5 minutes ago, sturt said:

Supes...

1. You're going to have problems convincing most people that McCollum wasn't the PG when the two of them were on the floor.

2. If "playing PG on offense" is what Turner did, then you can't tell me that's not exactly the same as what Bembry did.

1. Portland uses him as primary and secondary ballhandler. When C.J. and Dame is out, he is exclusively the primary. 

2. There is a massive difference between the two at that specific role. Turner actually has years of experience at it is a sound playmaker with a 2/1 AST/TO ratio while Bem is Bem. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

We finally get a beat writer giving us explanation from sources...

Not that that helps that much.

Even accepting this, what's with this timing???

Wait until, at least, training camp.... you never know what injuries might occur between now and then, and what team might give you a call.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Do you even watch the Blazers? They use him at the point half of the damn time. Now he is not defending PG's but he can playing PG on offense. 

Basketball Reference lists Turner as a PG for Portland last year because of this:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/turneev01.html

Right next to that sweet .493% career TS%, -2.0 BPM career, 0.1 VORP career, etc.

I mean the guy has played 686 games and has 0.0 offensive win shares for his career.  Since that is not a rate stat but a volume stat I'm not even sure how that is theoretically possible.  Offensive dynamo Royal Ivey had 1.6 offensive win shares in many fewer minutes.

Just to show I can be positive, Turner at least seems to have a good attitude and seems to be a bit more effective as his playing time decreases.  Hopefully that will mean career high effectiveness for him this season.

I am not hyped on Evan Turner being our backup PG but he is at least not Adams. He is a level better than Lin. I am fine with that. Good trade since Baze was falling out of the rotation and we needed a backup PG. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, sturt said:

Supes...

All it takes is watching the Blazers lol. Evans was the primary ball handler for significant stretches. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, DBac said:

Ah, so the Taurean trade was a red herring. Schlenk needs a trade consultant.

I'm someone that doesn't even like Bazemore as a player, but this just comes off as lazy at best. Stop wasting our assets.

Bazemore, after last season ended, was not an asset. He was a net negative. Schlenk got neutral value for him. Unless you are basing this off of locker room presence, if Schlenk views Turner as a backup PG, this trade makes sense. Not a great trade, but a neutral one that wiped away a component of a crowded wing rotation.

• Like 4

• Moderators

I think we are vastly overrating Baze's on court contributions to the LP/Trae era Hawks.   I love the guy but why exactly do we want him on the team next year other than we like him as a person?

Turner is getting trashed because he's not a good shooter.   He stays a rotation player for a reason.  Travis wants playmakers everywhere.  That was not Prince and that was not Baze. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AHF said:

Basketball Reference lists Turner as a PG for Portland last year because of this:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/turneev01.html

Right next to that sweet .493% career TS%, -2.0 BPM career, 0.1 VORP career, etc.

I mean the guy has played 686 games and has 0.0 offensive win shares for his career.  Since that is not a rate stat but a volume stat I'm not even sure how that is theoretically possible.  Offensive dynamo Royal Ivey had 1.6 offensive win shares in many fewer minutes.

Just to show I can be positive, Turner at least seems to have a good attitude and seems to be a bit more effective as his playing time decreases.  Hopefully that will mean career high effectiveness for him this season.

He is not good. His contract is ass. But we weren't this critical of the Lin trade last year where we could have gotten a 1st instead. Why are we so critical. He is a backup PG. He isn't that important. We just needed a NBA level one and not Adams. 

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

1. Portland uses him as primary and secondary ballhandler. When C.J. and Dame is out, he is exclusively the primary.

So 82games has it wrong? You got anything to back you up on that other than "I watch the Blazers all the time?"

Or, more likely, 82games has it right, and neither of those guys are hardly ever out at the same time.

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

I am not hyped on Evan Turner being our backup PG but he is at least not Adams. He is a level better than Lin. I am fine with that. Good trade since Baze was falling out of the rotation and we needed a backup PG. 

And more Crabbe 🦀 

ps Now watch us buy him out 😆