• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Grant Hill, absentee owner

sturt

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, sturt said:

So, let me get this straight.

By sending a text, or making a call to say "congrats," Grant Hill would be crossing a line.... you're saying because his role is this or that, he shouldn't be, privately nor publicly, expressing to a new player his excitement for his arrival? Like that isn't appropriate, or like that takes too much time away from what he should be doing in his role as you understand his role?

....?

• Premium Member

I understand that Cam said at his presser he hadn't heard from GHill 'yet'.  The expectation from most of us had for GHill was for him to be more of a 'Face of the Franchise' on the ownership side, help recruit, etc. I guess we were all wrong about what he wanted his role to be. Seems he wants to be behind the scenes.

How many of you heard this story before? I'm sure not many:

NBA Hall of Famer Grant Hill texted Atlanta Hawks rookie point guard Trae Young earlier in the season and told the youngster to not give up on the Rookie of the Year race.

“Periodically, I would send him text messages and words of encouragement,” Hill told Jeff Zillgitt of USA TODAY Sports. “I didn’t sit down and talk to him, but I said, ‘Don’t concede Rookie of the Year. Don’t give up. There’s a lot more basketball to play. Do what your coaches are telling you and play the right way. It’s OK to go for it. It’s not a selfish thing.’ I used the Jason Kidd example.”

https://clutchpoints.com/hawks-news-grant-hill-texted-trae-young-dont-concede/

• Like 1

• Premium Member

So, he's never even "sat down and talked" with Trae? Are we talking, at all? Or just about the RotY thing? How periodically is periodic? Is it just me who thinks that sounds almost purposely vague?

This doesn't make it better. It may even make it slightly worse.

Stunning point remains... a kid is drafted from your alma mater, and you're the former player who is an executive and owner of the team that drafted him.... you don't call or text that same night? okay.... you don't call or text the next business day? okay.... you don't call or text over that weekend? ummmmm.... and still haven't called or texted even before the Monday presser?

That's friggin ridiculously telling, and not in a good way.

Mind you, it's agreed that he's disengaged.... that's not the point because that's just plain obvious.... the point is whether we have a right to be disappointed with this degree of disengagement.... I think we do... and in fact, I go further and say we've been led to think in the past that he was going to be engaged.... that doesn't mean he's part of the "basketball ops".... being engaged just means... being engaged.... being clearly supportive.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
24 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

How much is Grant's ownership %?  

Don't know. Minimum per NBA league rules is 1%.

Ressler said he owns about 50 percent stake in an ownership group of approximately 15 investors. He will serve as the chair of the team’s board of directors and the governor on the NBA Board of Governors. Grant Hill will serve as vice chair of the board.

Other owners at Thursday’s press conference were Steven Price, Rick Schnall, Sara Blakely and Jesse Itzler.

Michael Gearon Jr. and Sr., Rutherford Seydel and Beau Turner, the four Atlanta-based members of the former ownership group, combine to own one percent. 

• Moderators
On 6/27/2019 at 4:42 PM, HawkItus said:

I guess I don't understand the disappointment for something that was never promised.  Warrick Dunn owns part of the Falcons.  Outside of a few small instances being publicized he doesn't involve himself.  It is ok. Not to mention his role in media probably keeps him hands off.  Shaq doesn't talk about the Kings bball operations or players much.

Because he is still on NBA programming (tv, radio, etc.) and has such an easy path to promoting the team but doesn’t bother to pump us at all and the team could use some public support from someone who is still a big name in the NBA.  Dunn has neither the status nor the easy opportunities of Hill.

• Like 3

On 6/27/2019 at 1:38 PM, AHF said:

This one incident doesn't matter much but I think sturt's observation that Hill's total set of behavior shows he isn't engaged with the team is spot on.  One of the things I was really excited about when Hill was announced as a minority owner was that he could be a very useful piece of selling the team to the public and to players.  He clearly has shown zero interest in either of those.  That is a disappointment.  

Disappointed in this, but nobody gushes over the far better over-involvement of Jami Gertz.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Duff_Man said:

Disappointed in this, but nobody gushes over the far better over-involvement of Jami Gertz.

Today’s players are too young to have even watched anything with her in it.  They all know who Grant Hill is.  Don’t see much comparison.

But how in the world is she “over-involved”?  :huh:  She seems like a perfect level of engaged with the team to me given who she is.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AHF said:

Today’s players are too young to have even watched anything with her in it.  They all know who Grant Hill is.  Don’t see much comparison.

But how in the world is she “over-involved”?  :huh:  She seems like a perfect level of engaged with the team to me given who she is.

Over-involvement from the perspective of expecting nothing. If you're asking whether I want to see Grant Hill or Jami Gertz, I'm taking Jami all day.

• Confused 1

• Moderators
Just now, Duff_Man said:

Over-involvement from the perspective of expecting nothing. If you're asking whether I want to see Grant Hill or Jami Gertz, I'm taking Jami all day.

Jami is someone I didn't expect anything from but I was delighted to see embrace the team very publicly.  Grant I expected some media promotion and saw next to nothing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

I think we should have a new draft metric: The Gertz Scale. Pass Jami Gertz movie/TV trivia or we don't draft you.

She’d draft me #1. I have all her movies 🎥 on vhs and beta.

-Soth

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

She’d draft me #1. I have all her movies 🎥 on vhs and beta.

-Soth

...aaaaaaaaaamd LaserDisc(c) 💫✨💿

Edited by hazer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, hazer said:

...aaaaaaaaaamd LaserDisc(c) 💫✨💿

I still have all my laserdisc in big Skyrim style chest all bunched together with my Elvis and Conway Twitty vinyls.. Don't hate

• Confused 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Duff_Man said:

I think we should have a new draft metric: The Gertz Scale. Pass Jami Gertz movie/TV trivia or we don't draft you.

Hold up. I think I had that wrong. She was in Lost in Space. Just a brain cramp on my part. Sorry.

Good thing I figured that out, or @Duff_Man mighta had my Hawksquawk privileges revoked. 😉

And then.

Wasn't Grant in Space Jam?

So, it's all interconnected, of course. 😄