• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Spellman Ate his Way out of ATL (Traded to GSW)

kg01

14 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Jones downside is higher than the highest of Solos. Solo was a 6'9 pf who was 220 without great athleticism or versatility. Jones at least has a great body and size for a center and is a tremendous athletic but sadly low BBIQ, low feel for the game, no range and a low motor just kills the advantages. 

I think Jones skillset is pretty limited and Soloman Jones name was just the first to call me to mind.

Edited by Plainview1981
  • Like 1

Travis is busy. I like that we shipped Spellman out for a true 7ft player. Maybe this turns on a light for Omari. I wish him the best! I am not expecting Jones to get big minutes; but we needed a center who could play without huffing and puffing after 10 minutes.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, hawkman said:

That would've been a lottery pick. He knew he was on thin ice after he blew up the first time during his injury. What makes this so frustrating is his game fits perfectly with the what the Hawks are building. 

He is a talented player. Like a potentially better Mo Speights but Moe was in shape, this guy is Larry Holmes 

The one thing we know about Travis. He has an idea what a true center is and if you don't fit it or his ideal for a 4, you will be moved.

2 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

If you are a professional athlete and can't stay in shape that's just kind of ridiculous.

MLB thirty years ago but then again...

• Haha 3

• Admin

I don’t like the trade ... Spellman has shown defensive instincts, rebounding skills and 3 point shooting ... Jones is just a shot blocker ... we have no D other then Hunter/Cam and Len (sorta).  We need to acquire defenders ... players like  Parker only bring more offense but we are actually getting worse defensively 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

I don’t like the trade ... Spellman has shown defensive instincts, rebounding skills and 3 point shooting ... Jones is just a shot blocker ... we have no D other then Hunter/Cam and Len (sorta).  We need to acquire defenders ... players like  Parker only bring more offense but we are actually getting worse defensively 

You forgot to include his inability to push away from the buffet table. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, Peoriabird said:

More Spin

th?id=OIP.odrLJJDzc0l7NkvW1mtmqQHaEl&pid

Can't argue with the meme you posted but it has nothing to do with anything said here.  You freaked out less than 24 hours into FA and now can't even wait past the first day that our GM said he would be active.  Let's see where we land before pretending like this is the roster we have set for the next 3 years.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

Can't argue with the meme you posted but it has nothing to do with anything said here.  You freaked out less than 24 hours into FA and now can't even wait past the first day that our GM said he would be active.  Let's see where we land before pretending like this is the roster we have set for the next 3 years.

So where have I been wrong so far?

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, AHF said:

You make statements like "why do we even bother?"  We are building for the future and are not trying to contend this year.  The summer transaction period isn't over yet and we may be better off in year not making a move and developing Bruno in any case.  At least wait and see where we end up.  You are jumping the gun like crazy.  

Perhaps you aren't willing to wait for our opening day roster to actually be set before you lament the death of the franchise

You're being a little dramatic here.  I was only voicing my concern about the front court at the beginning of free agency and as time past, it looked as though there was no concern on the part of management to fix the front court. Then you and other assured me that it would be fix because Schlenk would find some hidden gem.  When I asked who, you posted a bunch non difference makers.  My statement then was that it appeared as though we were headed toward the lottery again next season and that I was prepared to give Schlenk 1 more year to fix this front court.  He has since confirmed what I have feared all along with his lone free agent signing.  So I ask you and other who have weighed in on my assessment, How is what I said above not true and why all of the spin?

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Then you and other assured me that it would be fix because Schlenk would find some hidden gem.

Just to be clear, "others' would not include me.

Find some hidden gem, maybe, but I can't say it will be "fixed."

It's not the goal to fix. It's the goal to develop talent, and then maybe next off-season and certainly the one after that to actually "fix" whatever needs it.

Chris Kirschner

Atlanta sees Jones as a center who can thrive with an elite pick-and-roll ballhandler, which is what the Hawks have in Young. Jones needs spacing on the floor to excel, so the hope is his potential can be unlocked with the Hawks’ style of play.

But the main part of this trade is acquiring the draft pick. Schlenk mentioned Sunday that he wanted to rebuild the team’s war chest of picks after parting ways with several of them on draft night. By 2026, high school players likely will be allowed to enter the draft once again, so that pick could turn out to be quite valuable by then.

• Like 2