• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Spellman Ate his Way out of ATL (Traded to GSW)

kg01

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Who cares if he's fat. As long as he can play it's all good. 

Of course we have to care, being fat and 'unconditioned' leads to injuries, only playing in short bursts since he can't maintain any pace, pulling muscles, I mean fat, longer recovery from injuries, etc.

He spent a lot of last season nicked up and took him longer to get back on the floor because of his weight, and when he's injured and can't train he gets fatter.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Of course we have to care, being fat and 'unconditioned' leads to injuries, only playing in short bursts since he can't maintain any pace, pulling muscles, I mean fat, longer recovery from injuries, etc.

He spent a lot of last season nicked up and took him longer to get back on the floor because of his weight, and when he's injured and can't train he gets fatter.

Ok, but I still think the league as a whole is narrow minded about body types. Everyone doesn't have to be lean and taut.

15 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Ok, but I still think the league as a whole is narrow minded about body types. Everyone doesn't have to be lean and taut.

Yes, I think we should say out of shape, because either way you look at it, 315 pounds is not optimum shape for Spelllman. You could clearly see he was struggling getting up and down the floor in summer league and his defense was atrocious due to him carrying the extra pounds of fat. If it was lean muscle, I don't think anyone would say anything, although I wouldn't recommend that either.  Spellman at 250 pounds and kind of chubby is optimum. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

If you can't stay on the floor because your body isn't right it's a problem no matter which way you slice it. That was Spellman's problem. When you struggle to do basic wind sprints up and down the court, late getting back on defense, slow to rotate on defense - it mucks up the entire team.

It's not a fat thing so much as a lack of conditioning thing and strength thing that leads to injuries and limited floor time because of it.

I railed against Muscala for the 5 years he was here in ATL, he never worked on his body and was such a weakling. The slightest bump he was on the floor.

(FYI - Heat banished James Johnson for failing his conditioning test)

• Like 4

10 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Sorry but I think you're overplaying this.  I don't think people care about "body types" as much as they care about whether or not you can play at a high level and be available.

A lot of people think Jokic and L*** get downed because they look doughy.  That's not necessarily the case.  I think it's more like people worry that their conditioning isn't up to where it could be and that may lead to injuries.

Don't yell at me again for disagreeing with you, we're just having conversation.

• Like 2

When you start looking like Terry Forster did when he was a Brave then it will be incredibly hard to stay on the court for good stretches. Spellman did indeed have that look in SL and his play there did not reflect that of a somewhat seasoned sophomore. 

This hurt so bad that he cried.  Woke him up.  This lazy, fat a-- kid is really talented and it will show up in time if he can get his body in proper NBA shape.

He believes.  We know this now because he's lost all that weight since the trade.  His talent wasn't tied to all that fat.  It's still there.  He's probably weak and shaky now because of all that loss of weight. 

Another ex Hawk to watch and root for (when he's not playing the Hawks) this season.  I believe he will do fine with his new team.

:cry:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Spellman will be out of the league in 2-3 years

I'd hate to see that but there's not much we've seen from him to this point that would suggest anything otherwise.

Odd that Josh Hart's comments about him are coming to fruition.  Makes you kinda wonder what the Hawks were thinking drafting him in the first place.

36 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I'd hate to see that but there's not much we've seen from him to this point that would suggest anything otherwise.

Odd that Josh Hart's comments about him are coming to fruition.  Makes you kinda wonder what the Hawks were thinking drafting him in the first place.

Still thinking this is looked at as a challenge by Draymond, he’s gonna invest time in the blob.

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Why, has he said something in that regard?

No..I just have a bad feeling about it. If he’s truly lost 35 pounds this summer, he wasn’t motivated to do it alone, some x chubby guy helped him out, who better than the guy he was relentlessly compared to during the draft.

This is the most wildcard type of trade in Schlenk’s timeline to me. I’m not saying it was a good or bad deal as I have no clue, but the Dwight trade and this one are the two that made me take notice.

Also, the scrubs got Eric Paschall in the draft, another x Nova guy and the better half of Spell. They are trying to run a factory 🏭 of annoying undersized fatties who like to bully people in the bay.

Ive seen this movie before and it’s annoying as hell.

Edited by Spud2nique

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

No..I just have a bad feeling about it. If he’s truly lost 35 pounds this summer, he wasn’t motivated to do it alone, some x chubby guy helped him out, who better than the guy he was relentlessly compared to during the draft.

This is the most wildcard type of trade in Schlenk’s timeline to me. I’m not saying it was a good or bad deal as I have no clue, but the Dwight trade and this one are the two that made me take notice.

Also, the scrubs got Eric Paschall in the draft, another x Nova guy and the better half of Spell. They are trying to run a factory 🏭 of annoying undersized fatties who like to bully people in the bay.

Ive seen this movie before and it’s annoying as hell.

He has lost weight before only to regain it.  He weighed in at 245 LBs at the combine.

A version of Udonis Haslem is the very best possible outcome of all this but am seeing more of the Stanley Roberts NBA experience scenario myself. Good luck to him because he has now shown he can lose weight but unless Draymond puts the fear of God in him consistently, year in year out then, I am not too confident.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Thomas said:

A version of Udonis Haslem is the very best possible outcome of all this but am seeing more of the Stanley Roberts NBA experience scenario myself. Good luck to him because he has now shown he can lose weight but unless Draymond puts the fear of God in him consistently, year in year out then, I am not too confident.

That was my wish for him when he was here.

Next stop

oliver-miller-of-the-sacramento-kings-du

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

I think Omari will have a good career if on relevant teams

I agree. As long as he stays in 'decent' shape (below 270lbs) he will be fine. I honestly loved his fit here and understand why Schlenk picked him in the 1st Round. I wish BIG the best. I'm pulling for him.

• Like 1